1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sub for music?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Keiron, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I have a Rotel pre/power set up and Dynaudio 42 speakers all round. Perhaps oddly here, I'm not a movie fan - music is my thing. I enjoy my limited selection of SACD/DVDA multi channel recordings and also "rediscovering" my (substantial!) music collection using various surround modes.

I'm really not a big bass fan - and usually don't want to shake the walls as my 2 littl'uns are tucked up in the room above my listening room. However, because I'm an incurable hi-fi experimenter, I wonder whether my listening experience would in any way be enhanced by the addition of a sub?

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Keiron,

I would probably say that with your preference to music either a Rel or MJ acoustics would be your best options as they are both more ideally suited to music,just my opinion.

Adding a sub will give you more depth with music ;)

John :)

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you don't watch movies and you're not really a big bass fan you may well be better off as you are.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    A decent sub which is well integrated will enhance the sound of a stereo system.

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say that if you mainly listen to rock / jazz / acoustic then a sub may not really give you much more than you have now (not much sub 30 Hz stuff in that type of music)

If you're into hip-hop, electronic stuff etc then a sub may prove a useful addition to your setup.

If I were looking for a sub purely for music I'd go for a second hand servo15. preferably a pair for stereo subs....

Cheers,

Rob

6. Mr Underhill

Mr Underhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Keiron,

I've got a Naim System using ART speakers. I am using an REL Strata III which I picked up 2nd hand.

NB Until a year ago I was using Linn Kan Mk Is. I then had a Q200, this was OK for movies but didn't really work for music - after extended listening.

If you think REL I'd definitely avoid the Q series for music.

7. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I do listen to some jazz and found that a sub does help in the presentation of music.

8. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yep, sorry - I was assuming the dynaudios were full range :blush: I just looked them up and found they start rolling off at 53Hz.(!)

Get a sub Kieron !

I cross my sub at 40Hz for music and have found that jazz / rock etc is not really any different from my mains full range, or with a sub. Hence my comments above. my mains are flat to 20Hz though.. :D

Cheers,

Rob

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Many places offer a home demo service and it may be an idea to try something out at home to see if the extra extension warrants the expense and upheaval for you personally in view of the riders in your opening post.

10. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The idea that there isn't much deep stuff (under 30Hz) on "popular music" CDs is mistaken.

Listening to a Techno CD yesterday had the entire first floor moving quite regularly. Some of those heavy pulses were silent! But there are also plenty of mainstream artists in rock and pop who use sub 30Hz regularly. I should also emphasise that they don't always use these low frequencies subliminally. Higher levels require considerable power at unusually low frequncies from your speakers.

A decent subwoofer will not only supply the sub-30Hz stuff. But hopefully do it with real power and authority with low distortion. Which is not always within the capabilities of some subwoofers.

If you listen at reasonably high levels (85-95dB continuous) then you place considerable demands on conventional speakers to cleanly reproduce what's on those CDs with extended bass. The same is (unfortunately) true of some subwoofers.

Nimby

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    At your age - you should be ashamed of yourself :D

12. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I feel that the Kans really need twin subwoofers to work well. I ran a pair of 20Hz @100+dB, DIY bandpass subs with Mk1's for years. The Mk1 Kan starts to roll off at 120Hz (-3dB). This leaves a single sub struggling to avoid obvious locatory information, phase problems and coloration. I located my subs immediately behind the Kan stands with great success in my last two (large) listening rooms. :)

Nimby

13. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Cheeky sød! :laugh:

I only like Techno that develops the bass lines properly. So many just bung a couple of heavy drumbeats down and then mess around higher up. It all gets a bit "samey" for my rather sophisticated tastes. :D

I'm still searching for a truly skillful and imaginative arteest in the genre. :blush:

Nimby :cool:

14. Lefreck

Lefreck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keiron,
    I'm a little bit in a comparable situation as you. For the moment Ihave a B&W ASW3000 running with my CDM-System in our livingroom. As I move the front projector in a dedicated room soon, the ASW3000 will move too, because this thing is simply too huge for our living room. I am now searching another sub for LR-System, which will be mainly used for music and I want this one to be a lot smaller... I've seen a REL Quake at a local retailer, didn't yet "listen" to it, but the size was awesome :-o. Does anyone here has some experience with this sub? I've read 3 online reviews and they were great.
    @ Mr. Underhill:
    Why do you think the whole Q-series doesn't work out with music? Thanks for your replies in advance.

15. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going on my own personal experience - I listen to all types of music and have found that rock and jazz don't really delve deep below 30Hz. - I have an RTA that I can watch while the signal plays. If there is low bass it's usually well below the 'average' spl. - This is why you can usually 'get away' with smaller subs for music - For LFE work though you definitely need the big boys :D Also bear in mind that Kieron doesn't listen at high spl's - even if the bass is flat to the low 20's he may not hear it anyway (human hearing being less sensitive at low spl's )

If you're shaking the floor with rock Nimby I'd imagine your hearing will be very less sensitive very soon :D

btw - for a slightly more imaginative electronic 'arteest' try Squarepusher "Go plastic" - def not techno. May be a little bit heavy for you though :devil:

Cheers,

Rob

16. Keiron

Keiron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for all the advice - I'm coming round to thinking that fine though my Dynaudio 42 speakers are, I might be better off spending my money on even better speakers, such as the Dynaudio 52/52SE, which I believe digs a little deeper.

17. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I too like a wide range of music. I used RTA a few times to see what was really happening on my recommended bassy CDs and must regrettably agree that 30Hz is the usual threshold. But there are much lower vibes about. Blue Man Group, Madonna, Oldfield, Gabriel, etc. The BMG really know how to use plastic (pipes) to go l-o-o-o-w! :laugh:

Listening at a steady 95-100dB is okay. As long as it doesn't occur for more than an about hour a day according to factory noise level rules. It's amazing how this level lifts the inaudible into the clearly audible. (When you have a sub that can play to 110dB just to keep up) :devil:

Judging from a brisk listen on the 'pooter speakers: Squarepusher's 'Go Plastic' is not very inventive. There's some more imaginative stuff on the "Techno" compilation double CD I just borrowed from the library. It's all a matter of taste of course. But thanks for the "heads up". It's a genre I shall definitely explore further. :D

Are we allowed to talk about music on the subwoofer forum? :rolleyes:

Nimby