1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A stupid question regarding region 1 vs 2.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bristol Pete, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hi.

I have never thought to ask this but I will although it seems silly.

Which region will give me better picture results on a Sanyo Z1 LCD projector?
    I will be using interlaced component video until I can upgrade to progressive, although my player, a Sony DVPS735D can output a true NTSC signal.

Is is far to subjective to state one or the other?

To, me, NTSC disks look a lot more 'filmic' if that is the right word, but on the other hand I am not a videophile.

Whats your thoughts on this.???

regards,

Captain benefit.

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anyone's opinion on this will be very subjective.

You have to consider that PAL DVDs are slightly sped up versions of the film (finish in 96% of the original time). NTSC DVDs are created using the 3:2 pulldown technique which creates jerky pans, but retains the original time aspect. Also note that PAL encoded discs will have higher resolution compared to their NTSC counterparts. There are benefits on both sides!

All of the above leads me to select each DVD I buy solely on its own merit; i.e. transfer quality, additional features, soundtrack etc. rather than defaulting to buying either PAL/NTSC all the time.

:)

P.S. also remember Region and encoding format aren't necessarily connected... e.g. Japan is Region 2 but uses NTSC encoding ;)

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always go for Region 1, even though PAL has more lines, Region 2 detail seems a bit fuzzy, wheras R1 more clearer and better definition.

Also take into account R2 4% speedup, lower R2 DD bitrate, and R2 possible cuts, and R2 usually looses DTS.

4. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, more lines can have that affect :rolleyes:

Apart from more lines and slight speed up which many will not notice, it will be down to the transfer which are (these days anyway) often copies of there r1 counterpart.

Anyway, lets not get into yet another pal vs ntsc fight.

Anyone interested in a very detailed pal vs ntsc of Episode 1 go here:

http://www.videophile.info/Review/TPM/TPM_01.htm

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just because a picture has more lines doesn't mean it's better.

Jpeg/Mpeg has various compression, therefore a 1000 vertical picture with highest compression can look worse than a 500 vertical line with lowest compression.

6. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, true, but then you would be saying that all R2 discs have crap compression? We were talking about lines anyway. Why were we talking about lines? Becuase we were discussing PAL vs NTSC. Compression is a seperate issue, yet another argument I think we could all do without.

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yes, but compression techiques have improved a lot over the last couple of years. Compression arftifacts in DVDs are quite rare now. I have switched virtually all my DVD buying to R2 now because of improved picture quality, my collection is 80% R1.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pal discs take up more space, whether or not there is enough space for the exact compression level as R1 - well I can't say about that.

But some R2's have quite a few subtitle's, so they must eat up space as well.

Anyway, my personal preference is R1. I have compared R1 NTSC and R2 PAL on a sorted front CRT projector and R2 just looks a little more blurry.

On things like Monsters Inc PAL will look better, but films like Braveheart -more filmic quality- R1 looks better.

IMO

9. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This was true of many earlier DVDs but is rarely the case now.

Also, many r2 discs have higher bit rates because more r2 dics are dual layered to cope with the extra lines.

Star Treck Insurection (or how ever you spell it!) is a good example of this.

And very few r2 releases now miss out on dts if there r1 counterpart has it.

10. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This just does not make sense!! The only differences are extra lines and speed up (and no judder if using an interlaced display).

You are generalising far too much!

Anyway, it's your opinion, so who can argue with that. Some like pal some like ntsc. Buth everything being equal (and these days it normally is) PAL will be better.

11. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    What has judder got to do with interlaced? :confused:

12. Timmy B

Timmy B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I meant if using PAL you wont get judder but you will from NTSC interlaced with pull down.

I am keeping progressive scan out of this as the thread starter is using an interlaced display device.

13. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The main problem I have with NTSC is that I find the scan lines to be too visible - even on anamorphic. I'm told that this is part of the spec.

Could someone please explain something though. I keep reading people saying that NTSC is more "cinema like" or in this thread "filmic". What is meant by that - does it mean that it looks more grainy as film does? Just wondering.

14. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I try to buy R1 as the movies usually become available sooner than their R2 counterparts and mostly uncut. In addition, particularly in the early days, the R1 transfers were far superior to R2. I realise R2 has matured and that we now get decent transfers but I squirt component through my PJ and I've been spoiled with progressive scan. When R2 prog scan is available properly without the need for firmware hacks or hardware mods I might give it a looksee, but it'll have to be pretty special to beat my SD900 :D

15. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    While PAL is in theory better it doesn't apply to DVDs, it all comes down to the transfer - and they can differ not only between R1 and R2 but also between R2 in Germany and R2 in the UK.
    Thus there is no general rule here, R1 suffer from 3:2 pulldown while R2 suffer from PAL speedup.
    Some will vote in favour of R1 for the supposingly better (IMHO louder) DTS track or plenty of extras while some R2 may beat the R1 picture quality, yet in the end you need to compare the indiviual releases.

16. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get me started on DTS :nono:

17. hamtaro

hamtaro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but on the other hand region 2 can have more sound options than r1..............................signs r2 has a dts track!