A strange Combination ?? Would it work?

wytco0

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently purchased a Philips 30PF9975 and I am starting to love it. I quickly stopped using the Philips internal speakers and I am playing it through my Hi-Fi (Nad Preamp, Music Fidelity dual Power amps and Ruark Speakers) as it sounds much better.

I am now starting to get the urge to play with surround sound but at the moment but I don't know much about it and most importantly I do not want to spend much money on it, so I have this brilliant idea. I know that the Philips can be used as a Centre speaker, I have the existing Ruarks and an old pair of AR speakers in the spare room somewhere, so all I need is some sort of amp decoder to put together a cheap system based on my existing Hi Fi and some old speakers as rear channels.

Now I know this probably isn't the best route but I don't want to spend much money and I would like to see what can be done, so a couple of questions :-

Would the above work?
What amp/decoder would I need? I assume I only need 3 extra amp channels for the centre and rear speakers? is there a 3 channel amp?
How much would thgis cost?

Any advice gratefully received

I have tried to work this out by reading these forums but I cant find this sort of info, and I keep getting dragged of into other interesting areas, I just spent 2 hours over at the DIY forum....

Yamaha DSPE800 available for silly prices because it is outdates in feathres but certainley not in quality!
But i'd recommend getting a ruark centre speaker as ignoring how bad a speaker the TV would make it wouldn't sound right simply because the front soundstage wouldn't match up.

Hi Bobby, thats sounds interesting, can you tell me more about the yamaha? I just did a quick gooogle and ebay search and I cant find anything about it.

Edit, Bobby please ignore this, I have done a lot more digging here and found the info I need.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom