1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Step Into The Unkown (That Is Projection !!!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mutation, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and Good Morning all,

I'm after a bit of advice. I currently own a Hitchai Plasma PMA400e in my front room which is fine and dandy.

I recently borrowed a 1000lumens Epson EMP-50 Projector off a friend and was blown away!!!!

I love the big screen experience, for my PS2 as well as watching Cricket or Football.

I now have a problem in that I have to give the projector back (Boo hoo) :thumbsdow

So I now have a dilema, do I go back to my 21" TV (Not really going to happen!!!) or do I invest in a projector.

I've been doing a bit of research and have a couple of Options. I am not going to bother with a screen as I have pure white walls and at present the Epson projects onto this and gives me a fantastic picture.

I am contemplating buying the Sanyo Z1 because of the cheap price and rave reviews !!!!! I am also looking at some of the BenQ projectors (although I have not really much idea what these are like)

My real concern is the Lamp Life (2000 hours !!!) I would probably only be using this for maximum 4 hours everyday which would only give me about a years viewing before I have to buy a new lamp (£250) does the Z1 run for 2000 or 3000 hours and I also read somewhere that the replacement lamps are only 1000 hours worth ???? Is this true ???

Can anyone give me some advice here ....

Much appreciated

Chris

:smashin: :smashin:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you like a really big picture, buy a projector. Don't worry about lamplife - a 2000 hr lamp will give you about 18months viewing everyday, that's 50p a day.......... by that time you'll want a new projector anyway......................

Sean G.

3. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ditto theritz's advice.

Once tasted, never forgotten and too damn late to go back :D

I've gotten 2600 hours out of my Panny AE100 so far (touches wood).

But good care will help prolong lamp life - like switching off properly and allowing the lamp to cool and making sure the PJ is well ventilated, no smoking etc. will all help.

CL

4. mutation

mutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the great advice guys.

Chris when you say you've gotten 2600 hours use out of yours was it a 2000 hour lamp, also what happens to the lamps, I mean do they slowly deteriorate or do they just "go"

Thanks again !!!

CJ

:thumbsup:

5. krlock

krlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some go , some deteriorate... most would say that after 1000 hours the pic doesnt look quite as good as with a new lamp...

krlock