A splitter for speaker wire?

Alter3go

I want to duplicate the signal I have coming through one set of speaker wires. Is this doable? I'm worried about cranking up the resistance when trying and frying everything. With someone with a firm background in electronics give me some pointers, or let me know if this is impossible?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Very simplistically, if you connect the speakers in parallel you half the impedance putting more load on the amps but volume is the same. If you connect in series you double the impedence but at reduced volume (For the same volume setting on the amp). This assumes both speakers are the same nominal impedance (ohms).

however, bear in mind that even a nominal 8 ohm speaker may have dips to 4 ohms or lower at some frequencies.

that has exhausted my knowledge on the subject so hopefully someone else can chip in with more detail.

Alter3go

Wouldn't less resistance make the amp work less due to less wattage needed?

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
V=IR

keep voltage the same (same preamp output), If you reduce impedance/resistance, you need to increase current.

TheHighFlyingBirds

What amp and what speakers? Some amps allow for this by having an A and B set of terminals. If so the amp (see manual) will let you know what speaker ohms you can connect up when A and B are both outputting a signal.

Alter3go

I'm thinking of getting with some bookshelf speakers with upfiring, which have separate terminals for the upfacing speakers. I want to set them as front heights, then split my amplifer front height/sat. rear out into both sets of terminals.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Wouldn't less resistance make the amp work less due to less wattage needed?

Power is the Product (x) of both Voltage and Current.

Voltage is controlled by the Volume Control, so we will assume it is fixed. If the Impedance goes down then the Current goes up, and as a result, the Power Goes Up.

Also, as the Current goes Up, the Heat produced goes Up, and that puts more strain on the Amp.

Most amp, in general, have a working range of 4 ohms up to 16 ohms. Two 8 ohm speakers in Parallel are 4 ohms. Low, but in the working range of most quality amps.

Most Amp Power Supplies have a limited ability to supply current. Typically more than necessary, but limited none the less.

But we need more details.
- What is the second speaker you are connecting?
- What is the amp you are using?
- What speakers do you currently have and what speakers will you be adding?

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I'm thinking of getting with some bookshelf speakers with upfiring, which have separate terminals for the upfacing speakers. I want to set them as front heights, then split my amplifer front height/sat. rear out into both sets of terminals.

If you have the Up Firing Speakers, then you have an AV Receiver, and likely that Up Firing Section will have its own independent amps to drive those specific channels.

In that case, it doesn't really matter.

But to be sure, we need to know the Specific Speaker, the Specific Amp, and the Specific Purpose?

These types of speakers are usually used for ATMOS systems, that specifically have Overhead speakers, and ATMOS video decoding. In the case of the Up Firing Speaker, they simulate In/On-Ceiling speaker by bounding sound off the ceiling.

Though we will certainly help, this question would probably be better placed in the AV Receiver or Home Theater Speaker forum .

If you have an AV Receiver, and it is moderately new, the new Front Speaker will not share Amp Channels with the ATMOS Speakers.

Steve/bluewizard

TheHighFlyingBirds

@Alter3go I'm confused as to what you are trying to achieve. Can you draw a sketch as to what you want to do, as its not clear what you are trying to achieve. Try to include speaker location (eg at front or rear), which outputs you plan to use on the amp and how you are planning to connect them.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Sound like he wants to run bookshelves with upfiring atmos built in off a 2 channel amp.

Given location is US, likely some form of Klipsch. They like their built in atmos.

gibbsy

Upfiring speakers do help give a sense of a very tall front soundstage within a true Atmos set up as they are active to some degree all of the time when the upmixing modes on the receiver are engaged. With a stereo soundstage it seems pretty pointless and will more than likely inhibit the soundstage rather than enhance it because of the design of the upfiring module.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Original Poster needs to respond and explain in DETAIL the equipment he is using and what he is trying to accomplish.

Specifically what Speakers are you using?

Specifically what Amp are you using?

Specifically what is your goal?

Steve/bluewizard

Alter3go

My receiver is a Denon x3500h. All the channels have speakers. But I am thinking of replacing my front highs with these. From only one source, I want the sound to go into both sets of terminals (there are 2 pairs, 4 total), so the sound comes out of both the front and upfiring parts.

Alter3go

Also, @TheHighFlyingBirds, your signature should be composed of facts about the highest flying birds, and their average and max altitudes.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The link isn't working, but in short you can connect them. If the speakers are 8!Ohms or more, connect them in parallel. If they are 6 Ohms or less connect them in series.

The question is whether both sets of drivers are matched in terms of sensitivity. If one set has higher sensitivity, it will sound louder than the other.

You will also be increasing the ratio between reflected and direct sound, so precision of imaging and intelligibility may suffer.

Personally this would not be my choice in how to connect speakers even though it is technically possible.

TheHighFlyingBirds

The speakers you link to should be used as a fronts and up-firers, or rears and up-firers, with the two applicable channels utilised on the amp, e.g. front L and front height.

They should not be used just as atmos speakers using both connections on the speaker and have them both linked to a single output on the amp, e.g. front height, as it will affect the sound fields as the atmos sound will be fired upwards and outwards.

Additionally, are you installing these at height, the reflected sound will not be directed to the main listening point as they should be installed lower down as per Dolby guidance.

You would be best just getting dedicated up-firers to sit on your front L & R speakers or new height based speakers which fire downwards.

@Alter3go What speakers do you have as your front heights? and why is it you are changing them?

gibbsy

My receiver is a Denon x3500h. All the channels have speakers. But I am thinking of replacing my front highs with these. From only one source, I want the sound to go into both sets of terminals (there are 2 pairs, 4 total), so the sound comes out of both the front and upfiring parts.
I don't know what you're trying to achieve with this set up. If you have any speakers in the Atmos domain, 5.1.2 maximum with the 3500, then linking the upfiring part of those speakers in parallel or series will throw the base level audio up into the Atmos domain.

You will, to some extent, achieve what you want with upfiring modules configured as Dolby Enabled within the Denon as they do extent the front soundstage height wise. That will at the cost of one of your other pair of speakers as the 3500 would need to be configured as 5.1.2. Both upmixing modes of Dolby Surround and Neural do a very good job of expanding the front soundstage.

If you want to expand the front soundstage height wise then you would be better off with another pair of 8 ohm monos placed high on the front wall, in line with the base pair and wired as you want.