A "spider" gets toasted when it gets next to a Black Flame

MississippiMan

Established Member
Reaction score
This thread portends to show just how excellently a well done "advanced" DIY screen can perform in the adverse of circumstances.

The subject at hand depicts the use of a 130" Silver Fire screen*, located in a large Auditorium/Rugby Club House in surburban London, receiving the illuminating ministrations of a Optoma 1691 PJ, all the while having to suffer under the "Direct" illumination from several intense Globular Shielded High Intensity Lamps. (*Most recent SF-Formula w/2 oz colorant)

It is to be noted that such extreme performance as exhibited in this thread is, in this particular instance, directly attributable to the use of Silver Fire applied to a Mirror, and the "Light Fusion" principle. Similar...if not the exact same results are indeed possible with a simple Bright White undercoating beneath the SF-Paint, even at such large diagonal sizes. The exciting prospect in this is how the same results are possible when screen sizes are scaled back to under 110" diagonal and PJs of 1000 to 1800 lumens are employed.

So off we go.

A shot of the location:

aRugbyClubScreenwallw-mirror.jpg

Another shot of the Mirror as mounted on it's "Backer Board".

aRugbyClubScreenwallw-mirrorsideway.jpg

The Weapon of Choice. (Wagner w550 Electric HVLP Gun -UK Mode-l)

AWagnerw550.jpg

<<< < Reserved for upcoming High Definition Spray videos > >>>

Here is the Silver Fire Light Fusion screen with the coating completed.

aRugbyClubScreenwallw-mirror150asi.jpg

I want you all to make notice of the very large High Intensity lamps directly in front of the screen. There are a total of 20 of these Lights in this Clubhouse, all on the same circuit, none of which are "dim able" so every subsequent shot you see in "light" has every light in the place to deal with.

First...a word from the Sponsor :p

ARugbyClubscreeninHIGHDIRECTlightin.jpg

Two Soccer Players discussing strategy

AManchesterUnitedPlayersshotinHIGHD.jpg

The next two shots are identical (...excepting the image was in motion between the shots with Light on- Light off ...)

ARugbyClubscreeninHIGHDIRECTligh-1.jpg

ARugbyClubscreeninthedarkw-Commenta.jpg

Not a Heck of a lot of difference between 'em considering the amount of direct light washing directly onto the screen.

Another "Dark Shot"

ARugbyClubscreeninVeryLowDIRECTligh.jpg

One taken from 60 degrees off axis

ARugbyClubscreeninVeryLowlightin-1.jpg

And one at 80 degrees off axis. Remember...this is a "Dark Gray" screen employing Mica Based reflective elements that produce a positive gain, yet shows virtually NO adverse loss of viewing cone. Nor does it exhibit the "White Crush" that other ambient light offerings always produce. And lastly...as evidenced by the shots, color rendition is "Spot On".

ARugbyClubscreeninVeryLowlightingvi.jpg

I wouldn't have it any other way...nor should any of you. There have recently been some admirable ambient light images posted on this Forum....but none at this level of "Direct" lighting.

That's enough....no need to squash a "bug" underfoot. :p

Comments anyone? I'd hope to have a few. ;)

Note: Previously posted on AVS DIY Screens Forum by Author

Last edited:
Flagrantly bumping this thread so that those who might have missed it over this last weekend could get a chance at seeing something truly outstanding, performance-wise. The installation is in the London area, and is open from 9am-7pm to just generally wander in to see. Just tell them Maurice & Robert asked them to fire it up for you for a quick "look-see". Take a picture! Spead the good news. If your interested, just PM me for the address / directions

Obviously....it won't matter if it's bright and sunny or not. :clap:

For those who wish to attempt this application, the availability of the pure Silver Fire Colorant and specific Silver and Pearl components are easily enough obtained by contacting "Robert" via my PM box on this Forum. While the cost will be more than simply adding a single reflective element to a adjusted "Base" (BW) the considerable increase in ambient light viewing performance across the entire range of Gray Shade choices via simply adjusting the ratio of SF Colorant to the Reflective base, as well as being able to incrementally increase basic gain by judiciously adding small amounts of "Dulux Absolute White" make this application well worth the extra effort.

Especially as you go up into the larger screen sizes where any "loss" of gain can result in a image with less pizazz (ie: PoP ) In the smaller sizes, with an adaquate PJ, THIS application will astound you with it's "Full Lights On" viewing abilities.

No need to wait and/or hope for a decent solution to the "lighted room" problem, nor sacrifice Black rendition for the sake of maintaining Whites. Consider this application, and decide to give it a go, and anyone on this Forum can count on the same level of help and assistance I've always granted Forum members in the past.

I'll always be the "DIY'er" part of the equation, and there for those of like mind.
:hiya:

Hmmmmmm....., 157 views in7 days and no comments or response. You all must be jaded. :D Lots of things have progressed since I last was a steady contributor here. Both for me and others. But my progression entails an increase in BF/SFs already substantial performance potential, for Ambient Light viewing as well as Dedicated Cave Dwelling Folks. Black Flame / Silver Fire hasn't so much as changed as it's gotten better, and when combined with a 2nd Surface Mirrored Substrate, substantial additional gains are accomplished when the PJ/Screen match-up is well balanced.

Necessity made it necessary for me to be...and remain absent for some time while much has transgressed, but I'm available now, for both Screens and full range Home Theater advice. I do feel I can offer the DIY'er advice and suggestions that will always lead to the highest possible level of performance in a given situation. And for as little scratch as possible too!

Post up! Give me a chance to help again.

New Prep/Paint Videos.

Below are videos of my preparing the SF Mix (Mixing and Straining) and the actual spraying of a (96" x 54" ) LF Mirror Screen in a private residence.

Stirring with a Dual Vane Paint whip.
(...takes MUCH longer than with the "Squirrel Cage" Turbine...)

Straining the Silver Fire through a Nylon "Sock Style" 1 Gallon "Net"
(...much better than "Cone" Filters...)

Assembling the Wagner "Power Head Correctly" (...please note the squeezing of the Trigger slightly to allow the Black nozzle insert to seat fully. Do this at the final tightening...)

Removing the Plastic off the Mirror before painting. (...somewhat important step, this... :p )

OK....let's Spray !!

That didn't take very long...did it! But be advised the speed upon which I went is the absolute "SLOWEST" you want to go on a '-first coat-'. Also note that 60% of the applied Spray pattern is deposited on the area previously sprayed. This assures that there is no Horizontal "Striping". Mostly. :rolleyes: Dusting the first coat (...move at 2x the speed shown...) with the same overlap is far safer and recommended for the beginner Spray painter.

........and Drat! You gotta clean up the Gun immediately afterward.

And lastly, a "I just got down from spraying on top a Table" video of the spraying of the first coat on the larger Rugby Club Mirror [/B]

Last edited:
Wow.

Those results are incredible.

I was debating making a BW screen over the winter, to use next summer (I'm currently using a standard NOBO matte white screen) cos my PJ cant handle daylight too well (HP VP6121) & I wanna watch the WC on the big screen.

However, since seeing this I think I'll be going for this!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom