A speaker that works with Google Music?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by douki, Mar 7, 2013.

1. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I've recently uploaded my music library to Google Music and was wondering if there's a speaker system available that would play it all directly from the cloud over my wifi network?

Also if it could play internet radio that would be good.

Does anything like this exist?

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
  3. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Thanks I'll look into that a bit more although it does sounds quite technical for me.

How about a speaker that will play the music that's actually stored on my Android phone, rather than streaming from the cloud. There must be some that do that surely?

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,176
    Yep the same solution as above will do it but you need to find something that will play over the air from a DLNA server running on your phone. Android is not very mature in this area and needs to catch up to compete with Apple.

5. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    So with Airplay can you play music straight from the iCloud or does it have to be downloaded to an idevice first?

I'm thinking I might just get a decent bluetooth speaker for the time being, which I'll be able to use with my Nexus as well as iPad. However what I really want is a purely cloud based music system.

6. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Is there a WiFi speaker solution available for Google Music yet? Would chromecast work in some way .. by plugging it into a speaker? If that makes sense?

I've been using a Bluetooth speaker but its not ideal due to battery drain of the playing device and also the hassle of connecting each time.

How are other people getting Google Music to play out of a decent-ish speaker system?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2014
  7. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    I use my Samsung HW-F750 soundbar along with Chromecast and it works superbly, album art is displayed on tv. Use either my ipad or Galaxy S4 as the source.

8. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Doesn't the TV having to be on bother you though?

The process of getting the music to play is also a bit long winded..

1. Turn TV on
    2. Switch HDMI input
    3. Open Google Music
    4. Connect Chromecast

I think ideally I'd like a dedicated speaker like Sonos that's in a state of readiness all the time so all I'd have to do is open Google Music and press play.

9. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    You can have the tv off and connect to the soundbar with Bluetooth .
    Ps, pressing a few buttons sound like hard work?.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  10. everett_psycho

everett_psycho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,619
    There's 3 options I can see for this:

1/ Use chromecast with a speaker (either through HDMI in or a HDMI to DVI converter and only route the audio)
    2/ Use the phones bluetooth with a bluetooth speaker
    3/ Try this with any upnp/dlna device: Cast To UPnP/DLNA for GMusic - Android Apps on Google Play

I currently use the third app with my squeezeboxes and it's rather good and free to try. I have issues with it not seeing my squeezeboxes all the time but I think they are my issues and upnplay can't see them when it happens either. It will essentially mean any upnp/dlna speaker on the market will work with the google music app

11. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Looks like Google Play Music is now available for Sonos speakers and no need to use the Sonos controller app either, you can just use the cast button from within the GPM app. This could be the perfect answer to my problem.

12. L3g3nd

L3g3nd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes im on the latest beta for Sonos and google play is now available ,even can get it free for three months!!

13. douki

douki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    Finally!

Google Cast for Audio

14. huwsparky

huwsparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    But, what about me who has a £1000 set of speakers I want to use and not some no doubt overpriced jobbies that will be available with cast built in?

15. inicholson

inicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try a Sonos Connect - I currently have a pair of Sonos 3's on trial and using the latest Beta app for my Android tablet or Phone (3rd party App) for my Windows Phone they play music direct from Google Play (and other sources such as my NAS and Soundcloud) reliably.

As a result I'm considering replacing my Squeezebox Duets (3 of them, one of which is feeding into a Linn DAC, Linn pre/power amps and Aktiv Linn Speakers) with Sonos Connects (or Sonos Connect:AMP's for the cheaper systems).

In the past I've bought items from Richer Sounds who were happy to accept it as a return and refund in full if I changed my mind - this enabled me to buy 3 DVD players on a credit card, try them out and return 2 before the bill arrived (they knew I was doing this and were happy to take them back).
    Alternatively, John Lewis offer a 90 day refund policy - I don't know if they're so happy about you taking it out of the box and using it though.

16. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    If your £1000 speakers have UPnP/DLNA streaming built-in then you can stream from Google Play, using the BubbleUPnP app for Android.

17. huwsparky

huwsparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have been thinking of Sonos Connect as it's an easy way round with great support etc which no doubt would work great. The only thing putting me off is the thought that is be spending the best part of £300 to essentially send music from my phone to my HiFi. Bit step for something so basic really.

Also, like you I have SB duet and a touch which would then probably not get used at all. Maybe I should bite the bullet, sell the SB's and buy a connect.

18. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    Do you use LMS with your existing SB devices, there is a google music plugin for LMS, not sure how good it is but it does exist.

19. huwsparky

huwsparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I didn't know of any such option. I didn't think that there was any support for GPM in the squeezebox ecosystem.

I'll check that out. Thanks.

20. inicholson

inicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah, £279 does seem steep for what the Sonos does - that's why I went down the Squeezebox route (I bought 3 Squeezebox duets with remotes for less than the price of 2 Sonos Connects without any remotes (at the time I didn't own a smartphone). Admittedly I then spent over £300 on a DAC for the one that's in my main stereo, but I'm pretty sure I would've done that for a Sonos Connect too.

However, I recently acquired a pair of Sonos 3s (on loan from Sonos in exchange for giving feedback). I was initially unimpressed when I connected one of them up to use in my kitchen, once I paired them to use in stereo I was more impressed (but 2 of them costs £500 and I wasn't that impressed by the sound). However, I'm now increasingly convinced by Sonos because they just seem to work (whereas I spend too much time reinstalling software and restarting my Squeezeboxes).

Also, if you check out the SH prices of Squeezeboxes on ebay you might be pleasantly surprised by how much they're worth (bearing in mind secondhand tech is usually worthless once it's more than a couple of years old) - you can probably buy a new Sonos Connect with the money from selling your Touch and Duet plus remote. I haven't bitten the bullet because I reckon trading my 3 Squeezeboxes in for Connects will cost me about £500 (maybe as little as £300 if I bought secondhand ZP90's - the old name for the connect). 20 years ago I would've thought that cheap for 3 source devices, but having children changes your spending priorities!

21. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,368
    To be fair you have the most unreliable of the squeezebox devices.
    Personally I've found using a better SB or even various DIY efforts (a RPi with PiCorePlayer) and the latest community version of LMS to be really stable. A lot does depend on the hardware used to run LMS, Linux being more stable than Windows for LMS, although that may be due to it being run on dedicated hardware rather than a general purpose computer.

22. huwsparky

huwsparky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    To anyone that has a connect, how would you rate the quality of the DAC in comparison to a duet?

23. inicholson

inicholson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't have a connect but the quality of the DAC in my Duet was very obviously sadly lacking when connected to my Linn system; noticably poorer than CDs played on a budget Cambridge Audio DVD player. It's fine in a budget system (my daughter has it connected to a Sony midi and the 3rd is connected to a Rotel amp and JPW budget bookshelf speakers from Richer Sounds). I'm sure I remember reading reviews at the time which suggested there wasn't a lot to choose between the Sonos and the Squeezebox. If you're disappointed by one, you're likely to be disappointed by the other (alternatively, if you're happy with one...).

As an owner of Squeezebox and Sonos devices I'd recommend the Sonos - it works reliably. Getting the Squeezeboxes to work is like a 2nd job!