A soundbar for a Toshiba TV?

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by uklloydi, Jul 20, 2018.

1. uklloydi

uklloydi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I recently bought a new Toshiba TV. It's not a big budget TV - a 65" TV for £800, so I wasn't expecting it to be faultless. The picture is nice but my God those speakers. Absolute dogsh*t. I can't bear to listen to this muffled thing that they think is supposed to be 'sound'.

I'd like to get a soundbar. I'm not too bothered about getting a multi-speaker setup, partly for tidiness (kids messing with stuff is a factor) and also because, to be honest, I never sit watching TV thinking that I need the full floor rumbling cinema experience (also: see point about kids and bedtimes!).

But I think I need some help. I did get a soundbar but found two problems with it. First, when connected via line out, the TV controls no longer worked. I guess that's normal, but ideally I'd like to have something that doesn't force me to have yet another remote control.

The second problem was the biggie: it turns out that the Toshiba remote overlapped with the soundbar remote controls. So, if I switched the Source on the TV, that also triggered volume up. As you can imagine, that's not usable at all!

I don't mind spending money on a decent speaker. I'm not after booming sound, for me it's more about *clarity* of sound. But I have to be sure that it will play nice with my TV.

Any tips so I can avoid wasting money? I'd really appreciate it :)

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    What’s your budget?

Do you have space for a soundbase? Perhaps in your av cabinet?

3. uklloydi

uklloydi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, I don't actually have a cabinet as such. The TV is on the wall and only that. All the DVRs, BluRays, Consoles etc are tucked away behind the wall. Kids, y'see. I hid everything! IR sender passes all the signals through to these magically hidden boxes. So I have no base for anything, which is why the idea of a soundbar that I can mount underneath works so well for me.

I have't really set a budget, but like I said, I'm not really after a mahoosive system - I just want something that doesn't sound like people talking through 5 balaclavas under a duvet.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Guessing you’d prefer one without a separate subwoofer. Sonos Beam looks good, or Yamaha 107.

Perhaps one of the Samsung all in ones. Though they’re c£500.