1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Nichotj, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Nichotj

Nichotj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought the DCS 313 and am very pleased with it. A very powerful system and good picture quality.

So what I decided to do next was to connect my Panasonic Sky box to the 313 using a RCA audio cable. But I get nothing. No sound. Am I missing something?

What I was trying to do was to get the sound from the Sky box through my surround speakers whilst watching Sky.

Has anyone had this problem or got any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. Nichotj

Nichotj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, has anyone connected any all in one to a Sky box then?

3. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    There shouldn't really be a problem but there are two things worth checking;

a) the audio output from sky boxes is variable and is controlled by the volume control on the sky remote. Make sure it is at a reasonably high level. If sound distorts reduce this slightly. Its possible if the output is too high from the skybox that the aux channel will not operate (i.e. electronic safeguard to protect the pioneer's circuitry).

b) I don't know the DCS313 that well but some home cinema systems have audio out as well as audio in so make sure its going to an audio in socket. Then select aux1 or aux2 or whatever its called for external input.

Lastly again I don't know the Panasonic skybox but if its got 5.1 digital output then while this is enabled in the menus it might disable the phono analogue audio outs. This is quite possible because if the Panasonic was based on a Pace model that doesn't have digital output then there may not be enough components on the pcb to provide output to two ports simultanously.

Best of luck.

4. Nichotj

Nichotj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Bonzo,

Thanks for the reply.

I've managed to get things working after sorts. I now have the o/p of the Sky box into line 1 and I use a scart switcher to select between DVD and Sky.

When I have the phono leads from Sky plugged into the "TV" i/p on the Pioneer, I get nothing?!

How odd is that?

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Thats probably got attenuation settings so that it will work with a range of output levels from the source. Its probably set at high resistance and therefore nothing is getting through. Check your manual. Why it works on Line 1 though I don't know. All I can guess is Pioneer have been very clever and attenuated one input and not the other as a default. In this way they know that when you try both sockets one will work with low level signals and the other high level signals. I've seen this feature before on powered speakers without a remote control and enables you to control the volume with the source device which is something you can't do with standard line level signals.