1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sony RDRHX900 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jack_bauer, Dec 27, 2004.

1. jack_bauer

jack_bauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I got this recorder for christmas, and upon being setup i found it to be in perfect working order, but i've come today to burn the stuff recorded on the hard drive to a DVD-R and it did it, and played back perfectly well on sony recorder itself. However, i wanted to play back the dvd in another stand alone dvd player and none of the other dvd players will accept the disk, (i've tried 3 different dvd players and burned 3 different disks)

So have i done something wrong when recording the dvd?
    or does the sony burn dvds in such a way that they can't be played on another device. (not even my computer recognised that there was anything on the disk..)

Anyone have an answer for me?

if it only makes dvds that playback in the recorder and nothing else its a bit of a rip imo.

2. stevie_velvet

stevie_velvet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make sure you DON'T burn in VR Mode only DVD-Video

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you finalize the disk?

4. jack_bauer

jack_bauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

Ahh thats what it is
    cool thanks :)

5. gawaterman

gawaterman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got exactly the same recorder for Xmas too and was wondering about this VR mode. what exactly is VR mode and DVD mode. The manual mentions it but doesnt say what the difference is and when to use what.
    Also when I watch a DVD I've burnt on my PC, I cant seem to change the aspect ratio. I have got a picture that only takes up about half the screen,no matter if its set to 16:9,4.3 or 4.3 pan. Any ideas?

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    DVD-VR is like DVD-RAM - it has edit facilities. You must be using DVD-RW discs to get VR mode and in addition to the VR mode problem not all players are happy with -RW disks.
    I understand the VR mode is like the bitstream on the HDD.

DVD-Rs are video mode by default but only the machine that wrote them (or sometimes one from the same maker) will play them before finalisation. This is so that you can add recordings until the disk is full. When finalised they are 'portable'.

The DVD disks from your PC may have been recorded without the aspect ratio flag set correctly. Check the software.
    However most TVs will adjust the picture as you wish. If your TV has a Zoom or Full screen setting try that.

7. gawaterman

gawaterman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, thanks for that explanation, havent actually burnt to a disk yet so will have to experiment.