A solution to upscaling?

joemann

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well, a couple of things,

1. My TV supports 1080p over component and only 720p via VGA.

2. As far as I’m aware you can't upscale DVDs over component, only VGA.

I have a cooler king (attatched below). As you can see, this splits out all the connections in to standard connectors with two switches to select what type of connection your using.

I have been considering getting a VGA to component cable, plugging the component end in to the TV and the VGA end in to the xbox, this way I can keep the 1080p resolution but does this also mean I will be able to play DVDs upscale to 1080p as technically the xbox is outputting over a VGA connection?

Thanks for any input in advance

Attachments

• B000JQMDT6.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36927826_.jpg
    B000JQMDT6.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V36927826_.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 58

2. As far as I'm aware you can't upscale DVDs over component, only VGA.

I have a cooler king (attatched below). As you can see, this splits out all the connections in to standard connectors with two switches to select what type of connection your using.

I have been considering getting a VGA to component cable, plugging the component end in to the TV and the VGA end in to the xbox, this way I can keep the 1080p resolution but does this also mean I will be able to play DVDs upscale to 1080p as technically the xbox is outputting over a VGA connection?

You'd only get that if the "cooler king" appears as a VGA to the 360. If it appears as a component cable you wont get more than 576p.

If you have to select which output you are using I would suggest that when connected via component it would appear as a component cable to the 360.

2. As far as I’m aware you can't upscale DVDs over component, only VGA.

It sounds like your TV only accepts 1080P. If the resolution of your TV is not 1920x1080 there is little point in feeding your TV a 1080P signal.

It accepts anything up to 1080p over component or HDMI but only up to 720p over VGA. Its a Toshiba 37x3030db.

I would happily use a VGA cable from the xbox to the TV, I would have the benefit of having the upscaling but then it would only be 720p and I want to get the best out of my TV.

So im thinking of using the VGA to component cable, this way I can "fool" the xbox in to thinking its connected via VGA, hence getting the upscaling feature but connect the other end via component so I can set the xbox to 1080p.

Currently I have my xbox connected via component at 1080p which is awesome, the only thing that bugs me is that I can't watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p.

Currently I have my xbox connected via component at 1080p which is awesome, the only thing that bugs me is that I can't watch DVD's upscaled to 1080p.

The TV upscales the DVD to 1080p for you. Are you sure the 360 would do a better job than the TV?

The TV upscales the DVD to 1080p for you. Are you sure the 360 would do a better job than the TV?

The problem is it will only output 576p, and TVs are often not very good at upscaling 576p depending of course on how good the de-interlacing was. Give them an interlaced signal and you will often get a better result, so 1080p from the 360 may give a better result than 576i to 576p to 1080p.

Got the VGA to component cable through today. No joy though. The TV doesn't pick up on the signal and just displays a blue screen, tried several different combinations of resolutions etc - nothing worked, back to good old standard component.

if its important you could get a dedicated conversion box which would work but would mean ££££ so depends how important you think it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom