A solution to lag?

Meddy

Forgive me for being stupid, but although lag will never be eradicated is there any reason why the following solutions won't work? :

The program can determine the lag each connected user is experiencing so for those that have lag:

a) reduce the amount of bullets needed to kill someone.

b) Increase the target envelope - that part of the target in which your bullets have to stray in order to register a hit. This would compensate for the enemy not being where you see them when shooting due to the lag.

Sounds simple. Why is it not implemented?

Fmrl

Because it would cost more to develop and take longer to test?

ThuGLy

i think they allready have measures in to help with the lag not tht it appears to make much diffrence.

sometimes it plays sweet i.e hardcore kills only needing 2-3 bullets for a death, last night i had to turn it off.

4 shots to put him down with the carbine with stoppin power then another 4 shots while there in last stand 90% of the time them killing me thats just wrong.:mad:

Workshed

Forgive me for being stupid, but although lag will never be eradicated is there any reason why the following solutions won't work? :

The program can determine the lag each connected user is experiencing so for those that have lag:

a) reduce the amount of bullets needed to kill someone.

b) Increase the target envelope - that part of the target in which your bullets have to stray in order to register a hit. This would compensate for the enemy not being where you see them when shooting due to the lag.

Sounds simple. Why is it not implemented?

Because measurements of lag can be faked?
Because it would make for a totally unbalanced game?
Because you would make the lag worse as you would constantly be pinging the user/server in order to measure lag, therefore taking up valuable bandwidth at critical times.

y2k

How many bars would you consider for lag to have a detrimental affect on gameplay?
Between 1 and 2 for me, its rarely ever that bad for me but when it is I stop playing at the end of the game.

Ash888

iv got a different kind of lag problem.
when i host everyone else lags. and everytime it says migrating host, it always comes to me.

weird thing is, everyone has a green connection either full or 1 less.

if someone else is the host then its fine for everyone.

its a real pain, as iv got a really good connection and cod is the only game that doesnt work when i host.

any1 got any ideas?

Ash888

i solved my problem, i disabled the SPI firewall on the netgear and now i can host without everyone else lagging.

SPI was checking and scanning all incoming connections so as i was hosting it was going through all everyone coming my way and causing them to lag.

SPI firewall is separate from the actual router firewall which i still have enabled.

Meddy

My game play and enjoyment of this game is severly restricted because of this lag thing. It makes all guns except the MP40 useless. The only type of tactics I can use is the run and gun type. I would love to try and do my Mosin headshot challenge or even just the Mosin 150 kills challenge but there's no point cause the lag renders the shots pointless. Just can't manage to get my one or two shot kills with this gun. Or any other bolt action. Even the rifles are a chore. Not fair! I know that these guns are capable of one-shot kills because I've seen them do it on the kill cams. The three bar lag is the worst to have. Sometimes the two yellow bars lag works a treat. But always the three light green bars lag is horrible. I'm seriously considering not buying MW2. What I will do is check these forums and if the lag issue is still there then I'll give it a miss. Better than being fustrated all the time and getting into a fowl mood.:mad:

NightHawk

My game play and enjoyment of this game is severly restricted because of this lag thing. It makes all guns except the MP40 useless. The only type of tactics I can use is the run and gun type. I would love to try and do my Mosin headshot challenge or even just the Mosin 150 kills challenge but there's no point cause the lag renders the shots pointless. Just can't manage to get my one or two shot kills with this gun. Or any other bolt action. Even the rifles are a chore. Not fair! I know that these guns are capable of one-shot kills because I've seen them do it on the kill cams. The three bar lag is the worst to have. Sometimes the two yellow bars lag works a treat. But always the three light green bars lag is horrible. I'm seriously considering not buying MW2. What I will do is check these forums and if the lag issue is still there then I'll give it a miss. Better than being fustrated all the time and getting into a fowl mood.:mad:

I feel for you mate.

These days I've resorted to trying to keep trying till I host a game but that's on COD4. In WAW it usually favours the Yanks with the migration of hosts :mad:

Meddy

I've just downgraded my Virgin Media broadband to 10Mbs from 20Mbs because I'd originally upgraded thinking that it would make a difference to lag. Anyway, I've gone from the three green bars to the 2 yellow bars in the lag department, lol. And you know what? can hardly tell the difference. Still having to empty the whole mag and waive the MP40 wildy to get the kill. I wanted to downgrade to 2Mbs but they don't do 2Mbs anymore.

robst3

The PC version gives you a choice of servers to join, listing the "lag" in milliseconds next to each one.

I usually join servers with less than 70ms, I am not sure how this equates to the red/yellow/green bars in PS3 version. What I do know is that the lag feels less when I play the PC version, ie I tend to win more 1v1 encounters.

I only ever get 3 light green bars on PS3 version - never get 4 green bars.

I don't play if it drops to two yellow bars.

Meddy

It's funny that, because two yellow bar games almost always result in a better experience for me. I can kill without having to empty the entire clip into someone, etc. The three green bar games are horrible for me. I always tend to lose one on one when I aim and fire with my MP40. But if I shoot from the hip (without the Steady Aim perk) I fair better. Work that one out.

If the PS3 version of MW2 is peer to peer then I'm going to switch over to the PC.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom