Question A Solution For An OAP With Dementia

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by horatiog, Jan 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. horatiog

horatiog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My sister and I are looking for a new "TV" solution for my Mum. She's 91 and suffers from Dementia. She lives in very sheltered accommodation and we cannot always be with her when she wants to watch TV. (We both live several miles away and are not usually there when my Mum's favourite programs come on in the evening.) We keep pointing out programs to her and circling them in the Radio Times, but she always forgets to switch the TV on at the right time.

At the moment she has an old CRT TV hooked up to an old Sky Sat box. We are in an area of Scotland where a lot of the Freeview channels are not broadcast on our local transmitter so the sheltered housing management have put a satellite feed into each of the flats. (Most important for my Mum is ITV3!) We have resisted changing any of my Mum's old kit this far as we are worried that anything new will completely befuddle my poor old Mum! Recently, however, my Mum's old CRT is starting to falter with the volume dropping to Zero each time the TV is switched off and channel labels being randomly reset. Basically, I don't think the TV is long for this world!

So, we are looking for a reasonably straightforward LCD/LED solution for my Mum with either a built-in Freesat tuner or a basic Freesat box to companion the TV. What we would also like to do is to be able to set reminders in the EPG and for these reminders to bring the TV out of standby for these programmes on the right channel (and the right HDMI feed if we need to get a separate freesat box.) We need to be able to put the TV into standby after programming it as this will usually be in the early afternoon up and my Mum won't tolerate the TV being on all afternoon before her programmes come on that evening. We would probably be looking for something not too large (~32" to 40") as her living room isn't that big.

Alternatively, we may also go for some for of Smart TV (internet connected) that we could switch on and change remotely for my Mum, over the internet. I am not sure if such equipment exists. Ideally, if it does, we would wish it to be fairly straightforward/simple and not too expensive! My Mum has a basic broadband connection that came with her phoneline.

Hopefully somebody will be able tell me if this kind of thing is easily achievable (HDMI-CEC?), or at all possible? Many thanks for any help.

2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    Should be possible with a 2nd generation freesat box (Humax - HDR1100S), you can set reminders from the epg. There is a remote scheduling app for Android and IOS devices, you should be able to do this from home. The box will wake up every 20 mins or so to contact the Freesat servers to check for schedule changes. Note during this process the HDMI output wakes up for a short period so the TV will wake up and display a blank screen (CEC). If that is a worry a time switch could be used to turn off TV power outside TV viewing hours. The broadband might be handy for a IP security camera so you can keep a eye on her (Humax do one of these also).

I can't find a IP controlled universal infra red remote that can be remotely accessed which would be ideal for you.

3. horatiog

horatiog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

Many thanks for your ideas. I had a look at the HDR1100S and I initially thought that would be a possibility. As I did with your idea of a Wifi to IR remote control. (I found a few on EBay/Gearbest, etc) However, having discussed the Humax with my sister, we think the idea of the TV going off and on randomly will spook my Mum too much. (She has absolutely no grasp of technology whatsoever and with her Dementia, it doesn't really leave her with the capability to "learn" that this "characteristic".) We don't think the add-on idea of timer will work either as we would need the ability to switch the TV on and off at inconsistent points through the day.

My mind has started moving towards a new TV with a built-in Freesat tuner. (Rather than Freeview tuner.) I believe you can get such beasts? However, I was wondering whether you could pre-program the EPG on one of these TVS, so that the EPG would bring the TV out of standby and switch it to the correct channel, just before the program started that we had earlier set a reminder for? Furthermore, is the EPG clever enough to switch the TV back into standby at the end of the program?

Anybody with any info/experience with these?

Cheers,
    Harry.

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    With any freesat box, you would have to visit every 7 days to add any new programmes. The 1100S would work the same as any other in this respect. It's only the remote scheduling app that creates the constant reboots. without this the TV will wake with the recording schedule only.

I have a Panasonic Freesat TV, with mine you can't even set series recordings (only manual repeat reservations) so it wouldn't be much use. I can't answer for other TV's.

5. horatiog

horatiog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham,

Thanks for your ongoing help & advice. That's re-assuring to know about the 1100s. One of us are at my Mum's flat every day (let alone every 7 days), so setting up programs for her to watch, later that afternoon/evening wouldn't be a problem. Its just that we need the TV to come on and switch to the relevant channel just before the program is about to start. Re: your Panasonic Freesat TV, that level of primitive reminder would probably be fine. (It doesn't really matter if my Mum misses an episode if we somehow forget to set TV up for her one day - unfortunately, all TV is just "in the present" for her anyway.) However, with a program reminder, can you get your Panansonic to come out of standby and move to the correct channel? Further, will it switch back into standby afterwards?

Many thanks.

Regards,
    Harry.

6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    I never use the TV recording capability because of the crude recording. You wouldn't be happy with having to manually enter recording details. However I do believe later Freesat TV's do have recording from the epg and include proper series recordings. Using a seperate box you would need one that has CEC control built in as that would normally be the only way to wake the TV from sby.

The only way I know that the TV might wake up from a epg set timer is to use a watch/reminder reservation which of course will not record (they are designed to record in the background unless you turn on the TV manually) , you would have to check if a smart freesat TV will do that (you may not even need a usb hard disk connected).

This may help with current TV's that have Freesat.

Get Freesat - buy a Freesat box or Freesat HDTV online

Can I suggest that you talk to Richer Sounds about the above. Unlike the box shifters (Currys etc) they are a lot more savvy and more than likely will try any of the TV's on the list they have on demo. Ask them to try a watch/reminder reservation set from the epg on one without a usb disk to see if the TV wakes to display the programme from sby. Hopefully you have a reasonably close branch. John Lewis may well oblige as well but RS is your best bet. Incidentally Richer Sounds extended warranty is excellent value and I can personally vouch for their excellent after sales support.