A SMALL SUB ??????????????/

T

TJSMANGINA

is it possible to buy a small decent sub.its just that my room wont allow for a average size sub an i feel that my movies are missing that oooommmph.i can see the lfe counter doing its business an i dont get the gut wrench i want lol my setup is as follows

sony 830 amp
pioneer 626 dvd
b&w 601s2 front an centre cc6s2 with some misson 77ds rears

any help would be appreciated or just some comments lol

M&K VX100 30x35x25cm (hxwxd), price is £895 though.

[ 14-07-2001: Message edited by: ReTrO ]

Hi there,

The VX-100 is a top sub, outstanding performance for such a small cabinet. Another option is the MX-70B (18.2 x 10.3 x 13.7 (h x w x d) in inches). This uses two 8 inch drive units and a 125 watt amp. Check it out on www.mksound.com , it retails for £1050. Either of the two mentioned will be excellent for tight bass in a smaller room.

Hope this has helped!

Good luck choosing!

i think the rel is more my budget to tell you the truth.thanks to everyone one for the help :)

Hi,

What about the yamaha 320...it's much cheaper than the other subs. And if you're looking just for some oomph this is a good small and stylish sub.

If you have a small room. I think upgrading your frontspeakers from the 601 to the 603 will give you plenty of bass. The amount of bass these floorstanders can give is truly impressive.

Monitor Audio ASW110, about 1 cubic foot (30x30x30cm).
Price should be comparable to the REL Q100E.

[ 18-07-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

thanks for the help boys.i think i might give the 603`s a whirl aswell as the yamaha an the rel lol.tell you the truth i will probably want the rel cause it costs more lol.thanks again :)

Beware, bass heavy front speakers are no replacement for a (good) sub.
In an AV setup the sub serves mainly for the LFE so it's a different "application".
Sure, you can route the LFE to the fronts but this will just increase load to the speakers and the amplification. A sub does make a difference!

[ 18-07-2001: Message edited by: Reiner ]

M&K's K9 is the same price as the REL, £600,and compact, and performs better on both music and movie. Get a dem and hear for yourself :cool:

Originally posted by Reiner:
<STRONG>Beware, bass heavy front speakers are no replacement for a (good) sub.
In an AV setup the sub serves mainly for the LFE so it's a different "application".
Sure, you can route the LFE to the fronts but this will just increase load to the speakers and the amplification. A sub does make a difference!
</STRONG>

Well, that depends on the listener, the room, the speakers, and the amplification (in approximately that order). In my room, with my speakers and amp, adding a REL Storm or Strata did not make a huge difference to me. Someone else might think that the same change *is* worthwhile. The only way to be sure is to try at home.

Cheers,
Liam

I agree. Big floorstanders will not replace a Sub. But for big bangs and solid midbass they are good enough. A cheap Sub will not really improve on good floorstanders.

Anyway let's hope that a sub will be neccsary..because even though i already have big floorstanders i am buying a Rel Q100. The finishing touch to my HC set.

But if you're interested in the q100. It's going to be replaced and if you're lucky you can buy some at a discount. Something like only 350 GBP!!

But if you're interested in the q100. It's going to be replaced and if you're lucky you can buy some at a discount. Something like only 350 GBP!!

Hmmm....but where? And what is the best price for the Q150?

Er hows about 8" x 2" - Clark TST transducer (Let's Automate) + mono amp (BK Electronics) out of sight and all in for approx £285. Gut wrenching bass....say no more lol.

P.s You really would need to add a crossover to cap it below 50hz otherwise its completely OTT.

P.P.s Purist's - i aint interested so don't bother ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom