A Slightly Different Post about Blu-ray Enjoyment...

skk3

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Here's to spending more time enjoying movies and less time worrying about equipment. A few select mates and I meet up regularly for film nites (plus a stella or four). We set a theme such as favourites, films from a certain year, films that have been remade, originals versus sequels, films with a theme (Sideways is great if you like your food and vino), (The Thing is great as a lad's movie, Basic Instinct is super to see how a film may be lit to create mood etc, etc) films that remind you of something or make you feel a certain way etc etc...rant over, now where's my porridge? Syk (Er, I hope this is the right part of the forums for this)

:rolleyes:

Here's to spending more time enjoying movies and less time worrying about equipment. A few select mates and I meet up regularly for film nites (plus a stella or four). We set a theme such as favourites, films from a certain year, films that have been remade, originals versus sequels, films with a theme (Sideways is great if you like your food and vino), (The Thing is great as a lad's movie, Basic Instinct is super to see how a film may be lit to create mood etc, etc) films that remind you of something or make you feel a certain way etc etc...rant over, now where's my porridge? Syk (Er, I hope this is the right part of the forums for this)

Syk,

I agree at times people (me included) seem to spend too much time worryign about the equipment we own.

Every now and then, as yousay we need to switch the PC off, and insert one type of silver platter into the player and enjoy what is on that disc, be it music or a film/TV programme.

I ahve had nights like that before hainv gfriends round, though these days with modern films lasting over two hours and so many extra's I rarely get past one film.

I would love to do a LOTR all nighter when finally released on blue ray.

Adrian

(Er, I hope this is the right part of the forums for this)

Erm... lets see...

Forum title "Blu-ray Players"

:confused:

Nope! :D

I'll move it to General Chat though for you. :smashin:

Syk,

I agree at times people (me included) seem to spend too much time worryign about the equipment we own.

Every now and then, as yousay we need to switch the PC off, and insert one type of silver platter into the player and enjoy what is on that disc, be it music or a film/TV programme.

I ahve had nights like that before hainv gfriends round, though these days with modern films lasting over two hours and so many extra's I rarely get past one film.

I would love to do a LOTR all nighter when finally released on blue ray.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I have seen that LOTR Blu-ray is out early November! I have already agreed with two mates that we each in host a LOTR nite and watch one film each time.

I like a film to last around 90 minutes, then we get two in.

When we go to our local cinema (which is Odeon, Kettering) we always find ourselves crossing the road to the MAZA Indian restaurant afterwards - it is the only time we use this curryhole as our base for a postfilm natter...

We did this for District 9 last week (my fav film so far this year, after Gran Torino (got on Blu-ray now)).

I'd go one further and say that I enjoy my bluray's & DVD's more when I'm not thinking constantly about the PQ and sound quality.

There's nothing more distracting when watching a film!

When I buy a new disc I watch the odd random chapter first (Unless of course I haven't seen the film before) to gauge it's transfer quality and I will leave it for a good few days before I watch it through from beginning to end.

It's real easy to be so over obsessed with your AV set up that you miss what it's there for in the first place!

To absorb yourself the films of your choice in the comfort of your own front room. :smashin:

Last edited:
I'd go one further and say that I enjoy my bluray's & DVD's more when I'm not thinking constantly about the PQ and sound quality.

There's nothing more distracting when watching a film!

When I buy a new disc I watch the odd random chapter first (Unless of course I haven't seen the film before) to gauge it's transfer quality and I will leave it for a good few days before I watch it through from beginning to end.

It's real easy to be so over obsessed with your AV set up that you miss what it's there for in the first place!

To absorb yourself the films of your choice in the comfort of your own front room. :smashin:

I agree.

just lately I have purchased a few DVDs at ASDA for £2 to gauge quality, before I decide to purchase on Blu-ray... I particularly enjoy this.

I was so happy with the quality (or should I say value for money) of my setup when watching Training Day & Layer Cake, that I may defer a Blu-ray purchase(s).

I did buy Basic Instinct on Blu-ray as a special from Play.com though and paid just £5.99! more than the DVD price...

Last edited:
I agree, some people do seem to buy DVDs just to test their system :eek:
I remember reading a post somewhere many years ago where someone had taken a photo of a "problem" with a certain DVD which could only be seen if you turn the brightness right up to nearly 100% - I just can't believe people are that anal about these things!

i do like a fiddle with my equipment...its the nerdy way that i am! but when it comes to films i cannot let anything distract me!

something weird happens, no matter how rubbish the film/tv show is, if im watching it i hate to miss parts :( lol not one of those people who can just sit down and have a film as background noise while i chat to someone else...anyone else get that?

Josh

LOTR is out on b-ray in November not sure of the exact date but I was reading the new release coming up for Xmas while at work the other day & there it was.

LOTR is out on b-ray in November not sure of the exact date but I was reading the new release coming up for Xmas while at work the other day & there it was.

Apparently it is the thearetical release and not the all singing all dancin extended versions, the extened versions to be released in the future..

ie flog them once on blu-ray, and then flog them again or am I being cynical?

Hi Syk

We often hold film nights for the family and friends. I do all the AV stuff and drinks and the missus sorts out the eats - sandwiches etc.

Really enjoy these evenings because of the banter, someone cracks a joke about a scene and everyone rolls over laughing (after a few bevvies)!

Great fun. Much better than moaning about the aspect ratio or the grain.

Alan

I hate watching films with other people! I'll only do it if I've seen the film before, or I don't really care about it. Especially with a girl... omg. Every girlfriend I've ever had has talked throughout the whole film.

Cinema's different because no one really talks :smashin:

Apparently it is the thearetical release and not the all singing all dancin extended versions, the extened versions to be released in the future..

ie flog them once on blu-ray, and then flog them again or am I being cynical?

Hey Sapper,

I only want the LOTR Theatrical Version on Blu-ray anyway. I already have a full Extended Version (4 discs per film) on Region 1. I know it's arguable, but the extended versions add little to the movie experience to my eyes, and the films are then a wee bit too long. Only my opinion though...

Hi Syk

We often hold film nights for the family and friends. I do all the AV stuff and drinks and the missus sorts out the eats - sandwiches etc.

Really enjoy these evenings because of the banter, someone cracks a joke about a scene and everyone rolls over laughing (after a few bevvies)!

Great fun. Much better than moaning about the aspect ratio or the grain.

Alan

Hey Neighbour!

I can really recommend Sideways (great jazzy soundtrack too).

I'm off to get American Werewolf in London on Blu-ray next...

Superb and in the end credits John Landis slips in in the bit that goes "any part of this film events or people etc etc either live or dead (then he says undead) is a coincidence"... really funny film...

Take care,
Syk

Hey Sapper,

I only want the LOTR Theatrical Version on Blu-ray anyway. I already have a full Extended Version (4 discs per film) on Region 1. I know it's arguable, but the extended versions add little to the movie experience to my eyes, and the films are then a wee bit too long. Only my opinion though...

My issue is that both versions should be released simultaneously!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom