1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a slalesman said to me plasma is better then lcd television

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by the blue angel, Jul 26, 2005.

1. the blue angel

the blue angel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this true as i dont have a clue what to get a person at digital direct was trying to flog me a panasonic 37pv500 would i be better with this then a 32 inch lcd

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Yes. However you don't have to just because he says so. If 32 inches suits you better or you can live with the practical differences between the 2 formats, buy what you want. While the pv500 is the daddy at the moment plasma wise, the guys over in the LCD section will be able to advise on the best LCD around now. Then you view both and buy the one you like. Easy! :)

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I think he is right, how long that will stay the same though is another matter, if LCD can get the response time down and inprove black levels (and by alot!) they could well overtake plasma, but I think we may be a couple of generations away as yet.

4. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +704
    IMO, LCD will always be second best as long as LCD screens have backlighting.I really hate it and unless they dramatically improve the issue I'd never consider an LCD.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Yeah, being realistic by the time LCD caught up, that's if it does, I think we will all be looking at other technologies.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    I have entirely the opposite view. Which just goes to show that you need to check both technologies out for yourself. The both have their strengths and weaknesses and, which is better is entirely dependent on which weakness bothers you least and/or which strength you "need".

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Nigel that is very true, I can't stand poor blacks, so the LCD is a no go for me, and my other pet hate is frame rate conversion and they all seem to convert pal to 60hz?

Perhaps you can tell him what you prefer about LCD Nigel to give a less one sided view in the plasma forum.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,075
    I've seen this business of converting PAL to 60hz mentioned elsewhere and it puzzles me.

a) I've never seen any noticeable judder to indicate a frame rate conversion on any LCD either mine or on display in stores. My little Samsung scrolls quite smoothly.

b) It's got a scaler. Plasmas also (by necessity) have scalers. Aside from possibly differing resolution (depending on the size) I don't know why they should behave differently. So, if it IS true (and I doubt it) then the same is likely to be true of Plasmas.

So.....I suspect it's either conjecture or fiction, but I can't prove it.

Why do I prefer LCD?

a) Totally flicker free
    b) Less visible pixel structure (higher native resolution) typically
    c) (Not an issue for me, but...) totally immune to permanent damage from static images

9. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I own both a plasma (PW7) and an LCD TV (Sharp LC26GA5E) and I have to say I think the plasma is infinately better than the LCD. The grey scale (black level?) is just so much better on the plasma and I find the colour generally to be so much more realistic.

I have played with the settings on the sharp for hours but just could not get the picture close to the panny. Don't get me wrong, the picture is still good but just not a touch on the panny. Good points of the LCD versus the plasma are that when the picture signal is less than perfect there is less banding (in actual fact I haven't seen any on the Sharp) and less noise. These points only hold up for poor picture quality as neither suffers from any when the signal quality is excellent, i.e. DVD.

Noise levels improved significantly on the panny when I moved house and the distance from the TV changed from 6.5 to 10 feet (or perhaps the aerial feed was better) so distance from the TV is also worth considering.

I appreciate that the screens aren't necessarily in the same league, the panny being one of the best and the sharp being fairly average (I only paid GBP 425 new for the Sharp so I can't complain) but I thought I'd share my views anyway.

I also had a Phillips 4:3 LCD for a week which was terrible with virtually no ability to change half the settings (only 3 different settings for sharpness etc).

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    PLasma and LCD only share things in common, they are "flat TV's" and the are fixed pixel devices after that the similarities end, Plasma are phosphur based, LCD are backlit both have advantages and diadvantages depending on application both require scaling which varies by make and model, there are very few absolute facts, LCD can suffer damage from static images (40" Samsung LCD's could in extrreme situaions get image retention) plasma is cheaper per inch of display but only really starts at 37" (32" Alis is the oddity and costs more than many current LCD's 37" is the most level feild similar price for size, but at 42" and above LCD is very very expensive,

In my opinion LCDs have more problems with low quality Video sources plasma is more forgiving, LCD black level is poor but screen relflactions are lower (if you want a TV in a conservatory buy LCD not plasma) if you want to use it for movies in a dim room go for plasma application size budget and need all need to be considered, any one who tells you LCD is better is apure muppet and anyone who says plasma are better is monkey............. LCD is more advanced technology wise and more energy efficient, plasma at larger sizes 42" and up is cheaper. The rest is down to you (oh and as both are fixed pixel devices good scaling is far better (for giving good PQ) than loads of pixels)

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Hardly any plasmas can display a native 50Hz signal either and most of them have poor black levels too, in fact there are only 2 brands of plasma that I could live with, just I haven't seen one lcd that I could live with yet, because as you say, the 2 things that annoy me in an image 99% of flat displays have.

I however don't see flicker, pixel structure and have nikolodean and video games on for hours and have never had a problem with image retention, however if I did then I would not be happy and would not be able to live with my plasma.

I think this proves more than anything that you really do have to see the screens for yourself, you can't buy on someone elses opinion, it just doesn't work like that.

12. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    surely it is only opinion and the only persons opinoin that matters is your own,find what suits you best and you like and that should be what you purchase, what a salesman tells you should be taken with a pinch of salt as they will only tell you what you want to hear so that you buy the product that returns the highest profit,decide what you need and look for what you desire,
    its like chips or boiled spuds at a restaraunt, the chef would prefer you to have chips becuase thats what most people choose, doesnt mean they are better than boiled....

13. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Tony,

Not having a go at you - honest! Greyscale and black level are totally different. Greyscale is the "colour of white" as "white" moves from pure white down to pure black. Black level is what consumer controls typically lable as "brightness".

Distance from the screen disguises problems! Get well away and you don't see what is going on - equally get really, stupidly close, and however well the screen is set up you will see artefacts. What matters in my opinion is how it looks from your usual viewing distance.

14. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Not a problem I'm always happend to stand corrected and I thought there was a difference hence the question mark. Still not sure from your description exactly what the technical term is for what I like. In simple terms, when there is a darkish picture with lots of greys and blacks I like the fact that it's not just one large black area but rather numerous shade of grey allowing you to make out significantky more detail. The LCD never properly acheives this. I assume this is to do with contrast ratio's on the Plasma versus LCD, i.e. 5000:1 v's 800:1 vs 450:1 on the Philips but I stand to be corrected again. I'm guessing therefore the technical term is Greyscale?

As for the viewing distance I have no doubt it helps mask picture imperfections but I am even happier with the picture since moving further away from the TV. ;)

15. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I think what you are describing is actually two things. Firstly, the black level setting (set too low and you lose black detail, set too high and black becomes dark grey). Secondly, gamma. More difficult to describe but essentially the way the screen displays the transition from black to white.

When well calibrated and with the correct gamma setting the PW7 does very good blacks with masses of fine detail in the dark areas. I haven't calibrated the Sharp model that you have so cannot comment on it.

16. Tony8377

Tony8377

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Piers, perhaps next time you are in Essex(Romford), you could PM and let me know the cost of calibrating both (especially the Sharp) - I really should have these done now that I am staying in my current place for a while.

Thanks, Tony

17. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably wrong forum for this (but people just concentrating on Plasma should be aware). I went to Dixons yesterday as I am very close to buying a 42PV500 I was absolutely amazed with the NEW LG 37" LCD - HD READY on £1999 (probably cheaper elsewhere). Apparently also available in 42" and 50".

ANY THHOUGHTS?

18. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try watching SKY on it. Then go and buy a decent plasma... :)