A Sky HD Question

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
i have been with Sky for ages but have finally succumbed to upgrading to HD.

All working fine but wanted to check one thing.

When I looked at the guide, most of the SD channels have been replaced by the HD version.

I really like this because it means that I no longer have to go into the HD tab to record a BBC2 programme in HD and more importantly my wife won't simply record everything in SD by default.

But the guide isn't all I would expect.

Taking the first 7

BBC1
BBC2
ITV
Channel 4
Channel 5
Sky 1
Sky Atlantic

Then have been replaced with the HD versions with the exception of

BBC1, ITV and Channel 4

They are available in HD but I have to go and find them on channels 141, 178 and 227

Looking at the next pages of the guide it seems that all other channels have been replaced with the HD versions where applicable.

Is that the same for everyone or has something not quite worked on my upgrade?

Cheers,

Nigel

same for all, its down to sky to set the channel number I believe

same for all, its down to sky to set the channel number I believe

When I tweeted Sky to query this, they stated the request to move channel numbers has to come from the broadcaster.
So until they all request their HD channels take the place of their SD channels, we'll all have this mess/confusion.
I'm always having to remind the wife to use 178 instead of 103....:facepalm:

fair enough, at least now the wife can find some of the HD channels, if only by pure coincidence...

You can set it to default to HD though so it only shows HD ones, Didn't ITV and Channel 4 refuse the request to have the channel numbers changed, ITV were in dispute with them for years and that's why it took so long before the HD ITV was even placed onto sky's service.

Here's the tweet from @skyhd on twitter.

The example you have given for the HD channels (BBC2/BBC2HD) is down to the BBC as they would need to tell us to swap these around for them. This is the same for the other terrestrial channels as well.

Can you not make your own 'planner' where numbers 1-10 are the ten channels you actually watch. (adjust range up or down as necessary)

I have researched myself. The problem it seems is that

BBC1
ITV
Channel 4

are all regional broadcasts - that is that they vary slightly depending on the region in which they are broadcast.

When it comes to HD there is only one channel covering the whole country.

Speculation is that the broadcasters would be only to pleased to allow Sky to subsitute the SD channels for the HD channel but OFCOM won't let them, saying that they have to present the regional versions by default.

BBC2 is not a regional broadcast and therefore can be substituted with the HD version.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have researched myself. The problem it seems is that

BBC1
ITV
Channel 4

are all regional broadcasts - that is that they vary slightly depending on the region in which they are broadcast.

When it comes to HD there is only one channel covering the whole country.

Speculation is that the broadcasters would be only to pleased to allow Sky to subsitute the SD channels for the HD channel but OFCOM won't let them, saying that they have to present the regional versions by default.

BBC2 is not a regional broadcast and therefore can be substituted with the HD version.

Cheers,

Nigel

Wot he said!

Just moved back to Sky from Freesat, at least with Freesat when you chose a SD channel which has an HD alternative it gives you a menu option to select the HD channel before it goes to the SD channel. Also, it comes up with a banner "To select the HD version of this channel, press OK now" on the TV screen after you have selected it.

'Er indoors always leaves it on the SD channel, does my head in!

Just set up Channel Favorites. Tell the wife only to use favourites. Nice short list of only the channels you want and just the HD versions.

Use a Harmony remote and change the Guide button so it automatically goes into the HD tab of the guide, works a treat.

Just set up Channel Favorites. Tell the wife only to use favourites. Nice short list of only the channels you want and just the HD versions.

This is an option, but it's not one I like or choose to use.
I did try, but felt I was potentially missing a programme I might find interesting on the full guide.
Flicking between the two was missing the point, so I ended up ditching the 'favourites'.

Sky Sports is bloody annoying too.

They moved:
Sky Sports 1 from 401 to 402
Sky Sports 2 from 402 to 403
and so on..

They did this to be able to move Sky Sports New from 405 to 401. Why they didn't just move it to the vacant 400 I don't know.
So many times I've switched the TV on, pressed 401 and thrown the control on the sofa on the way to do something else and come back to find I can't rewind the thing I was hoping to catch up on.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom