A second sub or a single better one?

ipswich78

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m currently setting up a 5.1.4 environment using Q Acoustics 3000 series speakers with the 3070 subwoofer.

I’m considering adding a second subwoofer (same model) but now wondering if I’m better off selling the existing one and using the funds to buy a single, more advanced sub after reading some of the threads on here.

Any comments would be welcome!

I’m currently setting up a 5.1.4 environment using Q Acoustics 3000 series speakers with the 3070 subwoofer.

I’m considering adding a second subwoofer (same model) but now wondering if I’m better off selling the existing one and using the funds to buy a single, more advanced sub after reading some of the threads on here.

That's exactly the system I'm putting into my home cinema at the moment...
  • Denon AVXR6400H 11.2 Amp that will be configured 7.1.4
  • Sony UBP-X800 4k UHD Player
  • Sony VPL-VW320ES (existing and will be moved to the cinema room)
  • Q Acoustics 3050 Front Pair, 3020 x 4 Side/Rear Surrounds, 3090C Centre Speaker, 3070S Sub and 4 x Cambridge Audio Minx12's for the Atmos speakers, replaced these with Q Acoustics QI65S which I'll dye the white covers to black, so I'll be selling the Cabridge Audios now.
  • QED Speaker Cable
  • Duronic 120" Fixed Screen
I'll be running one sub only in a 6.5m x 5.5x room! More than enough!

The 3070 doesn't go very low. the 2070si is a better sub. I used to own a 3070 but sold it and kept my 2070si.

Better to go for a better sub than an extra 3070.

Two cheaper is better than one expensive sub. However, two expensive ones are even better 🤣 I can only say about my experience, I had one good sub. Then I bought a second and they are connected as a stereo pair. The upgrade is the biggest I have done!
go for two and as good as you can, you will keep them for years 😎

Two cheaper is better than one expensive sub. However, two expensive ones are even better 🤣 I can only say about my experience, I had one good sub. Then I bought a second and they are connected as a stereo pair. The upgrade is the biggest I have done!
go for two and as good as you can, you will keep them for years 😎

If it's a choice between two £300 subs or a single £600 sub, I'd probably recommend the £600 sub, especially if it's a first sub.

Smaller, cheaper subs tend to have smaller drivers and less powerful amps and more of that isn't going to get you a room shaking response in the same way as a bigger, more powerful sub would. Just adding more subs with a rolloff at 30Hz is going to keep you at 30Hz. A bigger sub would dig deeper.

In that case I'd compromise on the benefits of duals (smoother response over a wider area) to get output and performance.

However, if you're comparing one £2k sub with two £1k subs I'd likely recommend the duals every time. There are caveats to that statement, but I think it would hold true most of the time. Once you cross a capability threshold the benefits of duals tend to outweigh the performance improvements of a single sub.

I'd echo what Conrad has said above.

For general HT use get a sub capable of at least 20hz response before you worry about adding more unless under exceptional conditions where you know a second sub will deal with acoustic anomalies that a single sub can not.

If it's a choice between two £300 subs or a single £600 sub, I'd probably recommend the £600 sub, especially if it's a first sub.

Smaller, cheaper subs tend to have smaller drivers and less powerful amps and more of that isn't going to get you a room shaking response in the same way as a bigger, more powerful sub would. Just adding more subs with a rolloff at 30Hz is going to keep you at 30Hz. A bigger sub would dig deeper.

In that case I'd compromise on the benefits of duals (smoother response over a wider area) to get output and performance.

However, if you're comparing one £2k sub with two £1k subs I'd likely recommend the duals every time. There are caveats to that statement, but I think it would hold true most of the time. Once you cross a capability threshold the benefits of duals tend to outweigh the performance improvements of a single sub.
I have two Rel S5 sho subs. Completely agree with you, I should have checked budget 👍

Okay, this has been a great help all so thank you. In short it looks like I’m best of cashing in my existing subwoofer and upgrading to a single better one. Budget would be £400 so would a BK still be suitable at that level?

Okay, this has been a great help all so thank you. In short it looks like I’m best of cashing in my existing subwoofer and upgrading to a single better one. Budget would be £400 so would a BK still be suitable at that level?

Yep, XXLS400 goes for 410£ shipped as new grade-b and these are in mint condition. Seller is BKE.

I would call to Colosussxb and ask will they get any P12-PR soon as they often go 424£ for basic finish as grade-b. It´s only few bucks more with stronger low end and also auto on/off feature which you may require! Below is the model and you can read the AVForums review if you click on that "editors choice" :

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yep, XXLS400 goes for 410£ shipped as new grade-b and these are in mint condition. Seller is BKE.

I would call to Colosussxb and ask will they get any P12-PR soon as they often go 424£ for basic finish as grade-b. It´s only few bucks more with stronger low end and also auto on/off feature which you may require! Below is the model and you can read the AVForums review if you click on that "editors choice" :
Thanks for your help. I’ll take a look.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Also consider 2nd hand. You could look at XTZ 17.12 edge for example of BK mono plus

MJ Acoustics also worth a look. i believe Bk made some of their old models.

Biggest Sub you can afford perfectly placed....later on add another similar sub.... Only downside to having one sub is sometimes you can hear where the bass is emanating from so finding perfect placement using just one Sub is more important than it is when using 2 subs

Also consider DIY. So much more bang for your buck!

Sealed are obviously very easy to build, but there are plenty of designs for ported beasts that will out perform almost anything commercially available (though you might need room to ‘hide’ it if your finishing skills are anything like mine)! :D

1206340A-9F0F-4DA5-9FAB-F1FC553A6ECC.jpeg

^^^ My twin 18’s with a teensy Miller Kreisel ‘average’ home cinema sub.

I have a Q Acoustics 2000 series 5.1 system, and had trouble with the 2070 sub and its subsequent replacement, which were never very convincing sound wise.
I replaced it with a BK electronics P12-300SB-DF and the difference was night and day.
Ideally I'd like two P12-300SB-DF 😁

Maybe a bit late here - and I agree that spending money on a quality single sub with optimum location is probably the best route. I have a BK mono - delivers great levels of low down energy - but doesn't have the attack of some smaller subs (depends on whether sealed or ported too) - I suspect XXLS400 better in this respect. So while I'm happy with the mono, I might consider adding a smaller sub for attack at some point. Also depends on what size your main speakers are - with your floor-standers you're probably fine. Have fun setting up!

I am running 2 sony sawx900 subs (bloody awesome subs) with my system setup as 7.2 although my av amp is 11.2 which is where I will eventually go with this. Even with mine setup as 7.2 the sound in my opinion will rival any cinema but then I also have a pretty good Onkyo AV amp. I digress. I purchased my second sub probably about 4 or 5 years after the first one and its amazing the difference. Hard part is getting them to work together. And sawx900 rarer than rocking horse doodoo

Suppose it's a factor of things, from room size, whether existing sub is a good one or not, how much second one will cost, versus selling old one off and buying two new better ones. I'm pretty happy with my svs sbu13 and svs sb12+ combo bit ideally I'd like a second sbu13. Second best would be sb3000 to replace the sb12+. Getting dual PSA 15" or 18" is just too expensive

On lower end I'd rather have one better sub than two mediocre subs...ie rather have bk xls 400 than two bk geninis

BK subs are great quality. Monolith is big and very weighty bass. XXLS400 also very good.
P12-300SB-PR is cheaper but also packs a punch. Both very good for the price. I would say 2 Monoliths are perhaps overkill (and also quite large) but the other 2 as pairs are great. I've got 2 P12-300SB-PR running purely because of the size of where they would fit and also the dimensions of the room and sound calibration.

Hi guys,I came here to ask this very question as I'm currently running 5.1.2 Monitor Audio Bronze
and was thinking of adding a second Bronze 6G sub but was looking at the SVS PB 3000 and I'm very tempted by it.

It would be a while before I would consider a second SVS as a new 4K projector is on the wishlist too so would I be better just adding another MA and put the extra coin towards the projector?

Hi guys,I came here to ask this very question as I'm currently running 5.1.2 Monitor Audio Bronze
and was thinking of adding a second Bronze 6G sub but was looking at the SVS PB 3000 and I'm very tempted by it.

It would be a while before I would consider a second SVS as a new 4K projector is on the wishlist too so would I be better just adding another MA and put the extra coin towards the projector?

Go with the PB3000.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom