1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sad Day

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stellavision, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    After a lot of pondering I have decided to let my trusty SVS go.
    My wife and I decided that a box sub would be a better to blend with our decor (if it is at all possible to blend any sub!)
    I was going to order an SVS PB1 but after reading some good reviews on the B&W ASW-675 I've just ordered one from Seven Oaks.
    I hope I won't be too dissappointed. If it is miles off the SVS I'll send it back and import from SVS again.
    I did look at the B&W ASW-750 which is a bit larger and more powerful but the £1200 price tag seems a bit high and at the end of the day I only live in a flat.
    Interestingly when speaking to Seveven Oaks on the phone I started to tell him of my SVS, but he replied, "who?"
    :)

2. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hello Stellavision,

Did you get a discount from Seven Oaks?
    Regards,

GJC

3. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I am a big fan of B&W kit - being a previous owner, and a potential owner again - although I am after an SPL Velo.:rolleyes:

Price being King of course.

4. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    No. Should I have?

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In general,B&W aren't discounted in their outlets(and I've also tried that route)but most dealers will chuck in "freebies" like a bit of cable etc to make some of the difference up....if you ask!

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh right.
    I'm going in to the Southampton store tomorrow to collect.
    I'll have a think about what I could ask for.:D

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Always worth a try...the worst that can happen is they say NO!

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Stellavision
    When i brought my asw675 i got 10% knocked off this was from john kirk hifi in beeston notts.Superfi also did the same deal but john kirk was easier to get to so i went there.What you could do is ask sevenoaks to at least give you some cables or call there bluff and tell them you will cancel your order if you dont ask you wont get.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't go down the cancelled order route.

At least not with Sevenoaks, my local store wanted to charge me a 10% restock fee on a Rel Storm I ordered for replacement of my week old faulty one.
    I turned up at the store to return the Storm and told them I wanted my money back and I was going with another brand. They then turned around and said that they would need to charge me a 10% restock fee on £900 as the replacement had arrived that day. Or they would waive the restock fee provided I bought something from them instead of a refund and go elsewhere.
    After an hour in the store arguing with the manager I walked away with the faulty subwoofer and telephone trading standards, they set the record straight and I was telephoned later that day by Sevenoaks to tell me that the restock fee would not be applicable in this case. So I eventually got my money back with no restock fee.
    But to say that the sub had gone faulty within a week, I was very surprised at the difficulty in getting my money back, which by law I was entitled too. Its a shame I had to go and threaten them with trading standards.

So my advice would be don't try and call there bluff with the cancellation thing. At least not with the hotheads in the Sheffield branch.

10. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    To be fare I don't actually need any thing.
    Got loads of cables.

11. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I have one in a 6m by 4.5m room and am very happy with it - it's a little beast. When are you picking it up ? It will be interesting to hear your comparison to the SVS.

12. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Uh - maybe I'm just going senile but I saw this thread earlier and there was a posting by someone (can't remember the name) commenting on the performance of one of the SVS subs versus the B&W ASW675 (unusually in favour of the B&W). A question mark was also raised by the poster as to whether or not SVS subs are officially approved for European useage (I've no idea whether or not this is actually the case).

In fact I'm sure I'm not going mad because Ian J replied to the said poster suggesting that his comments were a bit brash/blunt etc.

Given the high moral ground that the forum took over the recent multiple identities (used to undermine rival subs) saga it would seem unwise to me for moderators to delete any posts that question the performance and/or the European approval of the avforums current flavour of the month subwoofers; SVS.

To put it another way - editing out people's personal opinions and/or awkward (factual) questions about a particular subwoofer just seems to me to be manipulative and unjust - and as someone who's been a member for over 3 years I would find it sad if that is the direction that this fine forum is taking as, up until now, it has been about people's opinions and facts - warts and all.

Matt.

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am surprised that you of all people would be jumping on the bandwagon. The post that you were referring to was made by someone who has already been banned from this forum twice and was highly unlikely to contain a grain of truth in it.

Nevertheless I seperated out the spoiling posts from the thread and gave them a new thread all of their own which can be viewed here just so that no-one could complain that I had deleted posts that were anti SVS even when they were patently untrue.

14. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Being fair,Matt if you'd read the ensuing comments from one person,you'd also have had them removed.
    The comments had little if anything to do with one sub's performance vs another.

15. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Me jump on a bandwaggon - oh no :nono: - I just saw the thread earlier, had a bite to eat, came back and certain posts had disappeared - and, being a cynic, I assumed the worst.

I've now seen the thread you moved them to so please accept my apologies for suggesting that they were scurrilously erased from avforums completely.

Matt.

16. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Matt - Why unusually ? The ASW675 certainly isnt a poor sub (in fact I think it's excellent as do most of the magazines - if that means anything) and as far as I am aware no one has directly compared it to an SVS (yet!)

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Rags, I'm picking up the B&W up tomorrow. I will report on how I get on.
    Rob.Screene bought my SVS tonight so there's no turning back.
    However, if the B&W does'nt come close I may go down the SVS route again. I demo'd with Attack of the Clones for Rob and it seemed to perform extra well, just to rub my nose in it!:(

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I trust you demo'd it beforehand but regardless I'm pretty sure your not going to be unhappy with it. Lets see....

How big is the room it's going in ?

19. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I could'nt find the sub anywhere to demo.
    I've bought it blind. I asked Seven Oaks if I could return it if I don't like it. I was told, "of course we'll exchange it". Note, nothing said about money back. Bit worried after the earlier post on SO experience. I did think of trying the bigger ASW-750 if I did'nt get on with the 675, but the 750 is about £1200.
    My room is roughly 14' X 13' so it's not like I have a huge room to fill. I never had the volume on the SVS set over a quarter.

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well as I said I dont think you will be dissapointed but your expectations may have been set too high with the SVS.

I have demo'd the 750 and although it is a better sub I personally would not fork out the £600 extra.

21. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I here what you are saying Rags.
    In a way the SVS was wasted in my flat so maybe the B&W will be more appropriate for my room.
    If not I'll go back to my original plan and get the SVS PB1-ISD.
    It is purely for size reasons I have made this choice, but if size proves to be excessivly detramental to performance then I will almost be obliged to get the PB1. It is supposed to be the box equivalent of the 25-31 PCi, so I know where I'll stand.
    I'm trying to get the balance between a wife happy with the living room decor and a sound system I'm happy with.

22. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi stellavision
    As i have owned both subs i think i can say what both svs and the asw675 sound like.The asw675 is a very good subwoofer and will easily fill your flat with good bass,just make sure you leave a bit of room in front of it .The svs 20-39pc+ is an awsome sub the asw is good but cant reach the depths and spl the svs can.In blade2 chapter three were blade raids the vampire hide out every thump and kick is felt as if you were there were this was missing with theB&W this isnt just my opinion but friends and family too.
    Like i said you wont be dissapointed with the ASW675 but the svs is a differant animal its got more amp power than the asw and also a much larger internal volume which all add up to a very powerful sub.
    Cheers Gonzo.:)

23. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Got the ASW-675 home today and I've just had a couple hours playing.
    I started with Attack of the clones. First the explosion in the THX trailer just was'nt the same. The SVS near pinned me to the sofa but the B&W seemed a little more subtle.
    However, as I watched the opening scene it came to the explosion as they are stepping off the craft and i felt my tousers flap as the LFE kicked in:D
    Ahh it does have some balls after all, I thought
    I moved on to an Avia sweep and it was there all the way down to 20Hz.
    Then it was time for a bit of T2. Again, the biggest thing I missed was the power of the explosion on the THX trailer. Again, not as in your face as the SVS.
    So here's my conclusion so far.
    For: Very pleasing to look at. Very powerful (calibration needed less than a quarter on the sub volume.) Integrates better with the rest of my speakers. Good low extension. Can make your trousers flap!
    Against: It's blatantly not in your face like the SVS. The SVS obviously moves a lot more air and is probably a lot more efficient at scaring pets, small children and old people.

I wish I could combine the two into the perfect sub for my surroundings.

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I like that comment :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sh*t the SVS must be a beast - and yours was the pci !!!

25. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi stella
    I thought you would be happy with the Asw it is a very nice sub ,like i said you have to trade somthing in for the size issue where the B&W wins hands down next to the wheeley bin SVS.
    Glad your pleased Gonzo.

26. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Barrie,
    It sounds like the B&W replacement has potential for you. I bet it matches your decor a bit better than the SVS, isn't that going to get you a good few brownie points?

8)
    best regards,
    Rob.

27. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Hi Rob
    I think I got loads of brownie points for the new sub.
    Tracy's dad game round earlier and she boasted, "look dad he's got rid of the dustbin!"
    She's not heard it yet, but after pointing out that it probably would'nt shake the house as much as the SVS she said "good!":confused:
    Glad to here that you are are getting on well with my old friend;)

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well if Tracy and her dad approve, I dont think there any going back for you now mate !!!

29. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I know:rolleyes:

30. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Oh god I've been sumonsed. She whats to try a slightly different postion for it. I've spent 2 hours bloody calibrating it.
    There could be blood shed!