1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A sad day............ :(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rip, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, today is a sad day for me, because i recieved a letter from a Enviromental health officer saying that they have had a complaint about loud music from my house & its causing a disturbance to people living near to me. Well its not music because i dont play any, it must be my home cinema system because thats all i have on loud. I have recently bought a SVS PB12/Ultra 2 & i have been running it in watching movies maybe a little louder than i used to, but nowhere near refrence level. I watch between 2 to 5 movies a week, from thursday daytime to saturday afternoon, this is because i work a 4 day week with long hours sunday to wednesday. Anyway, i live in a semi-detached house & get on ok (i thought) with my neigbour that my house is attached to & they know about my home cinema setup, they even commented on how the sound didnt bother them, but that was a while ago & it was probably quieter back then. My neigbours that live across the road from me, i have had problem in the past with as they didnt like me parking my van i used to have outside my house as it ment one of them having to reverse slightly to take a left turn out of his driveway, this situation got right out of hand & ended up with his wife slapping me round the face & me having to call the police to stop things going any further. Anyway, what would you do ? , what are my options ? kill all the neigbours, move house ? i dont know what to do, as i dont think i could manage without being able to enjoy my movies at a nice volume level ........ :(

2. WBC

WBC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you not soundproof the room?

Not cheap but cheaper than moving house!

3. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I would ask the EH to come round with their instruments, so that they can measure what they deem as an acceptable level (both before and after 11PM). Then you know where you stand.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
  5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In all of these things it comes down to finding an acceptable compromise between what you and your neighbours want,and where noise is concerned,there are some very clear regulations.

I personally like to enjoy my music and Av at decent levels,but would never do so to the point where any of my neighbours complain,as I know that I would do exactly the same if their noise interferes with either my sleep or enjoyment of my own house etc.

Deep bass,such as from a decent sub(your SVS being an obvious example) can carry over surprisingly long distances,and can be incredibly irritating when you become aware of the thumping noise....thats almost certainly the cause of the complaint,especially since you've recently bought it,and had no problems prior to it's arrival.

The solution is very simple....speak to the neighbours,apologise,and reduce the level to a point where they and you can get on.

6. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without wishing to take sides here it is interesting how this thread is siding with the (alleged) noise maker whilst castigating the noise maker in another thread.

On the solution, I think you need to get more information from the EH folk. As them to cite specific incidents / times of day / etc. You may be able to refute some if not all of them if you are at work. Could it be another occupant of your home who cranks up the volume when you are out?

Good Luck :)

7. Rad

Rad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It sounds like you could have one of those neighbors that is over sensitive to noise (probably due to car van issue), I'd call up the environmental health officer and explain to him/her that you were not aware of being to loud and offer for them to come round and take noise readings, I'm sure there is a legal limit depending on the time of day.

At least that way you are within the law.

I had a similar thing happen to me once, basically my neighbor was being a tw@t and I was legally within the limits, he actually but a letter through my door threatening me with legal actions, I replied with my own explaining to him that I was well within the legal limits and if he ever sent me any letters again then I would have him prosecuted for harassment.

I don't suffer fools :devil:

Remember though you do have to live there...

8. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I thought anthing goes between 7am and 11pm.

If its between those hours I play my system as loud as I like.
    Neither of my neighbours so much has said hello in the year I have lived here so wouldnt know if they objected or not.
    But if they were to complain to me I would do something about it.
    I dont see the need to go to council without discussing it first unless your an extremely intimadating looking person and there scared of you.

9. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your opinions, I bought some curtain blackout material recently & have been watching movies in the daytime now as it makes the room pitch black & is perfect for my PJ, & i dont really watch anything later than 11pm, usually finished by 10 ish, so i dont think i am being unreasonable. I do plan on talking to my neigbour that is directly connected to my house, to find out if was them that complained, & if so to find an acceptable level that they would be happy about. And if they tell me that it was not them, then i think i will get in touch with EH to try to determine what is an acceptable level.
    alexs2, you might be right about the sub as it is very powerful, & Dr Diversity, the thought of my missus cranking up the volume when im at work is funny :D stealther, i dont think im a intimidating person & they have no need to be scared of me, but if i find out who it is im gonna kick their ass.... :D . But seriously, i do feel very strongly about my home cinema viewing & listening & i suspect all of you are, & if it was the only option, i would even move house somwhere where i would be able to watch movies loudly. stace, got any info on soundproofing a room ?

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Soundproofing as regards deep bass is notoriously difficult to do effectively,especially when semi-detached or terraced properties are concerned,and can also be expensive.

The first,and most reasonable thing to do is as you've agreed,to speak to your neaighbours and try to reach an acceptable compromise.
    As with many of the other replies here,I've put up with noise from others,and would never expect anyone to have to accept mine,and so I do any high level listening in a way acceptable to my neighbours,at times when it won't annoy anyone.

EH can be very informative and helpful,and have been for us with the few problems we've had with a nearby public premise making unacceptable levels of noise for the local community.
    They will also give you good advice on what is,and what is not acceptable.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    TBH mate, if you want to have your music/films on really loud, buy a house in the middle of nowhere, then you can do what you like! I have been on the receiving end of noise pollution and can't really offer you any sympathy here I am afraid.

12. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    yeah, shame your neighbours weren't able to come and talk to you about it...thats even sadder....I'd move house and just before I left (well, a week a least) - just play it extra loud...!

only joking..!
    my neighbour is rarely in, but when he is - I normally have the volume so low that I can hear his normal tv above mine!!

13. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Turn it up louder and hope they (neighbours) drop you a visit

15. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,595
    how good are headphones for watching movies? Take myself for example, I sit seven metres away from my cinema screen, would the 5.1 soundtrack work from headphones plumbed straight into my ears?

As for the noise issues, I am sure you can appeal...but on the other hand it must be bugging your neighbours for them to make a complaint...if it turns out that your neighbours are just being spiteful then the complaint shouldn't be upheld and all will be well in your living room.

16. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    From what I've seen on the TV the neighbours must get someone to come to their house with monitoring equipment to measure the level, only then will you be approached if it is deemed to be outside acceptable tolerance.

Must say that if the complaining neighbour is across the street, and presuming you have your windows shut, it must be bloody loud and you must have very accommodating adjacent neighbours!...PJ :)

17. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    I sometimes leave my music/film on loud and wonder around outside and inside to see if I am anoying the neighbours and my daughters sleep patterns..I can't usually hear it with the windows and door to the room closed. Hooray for victorian houses :D

18. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tough one really this, i'm sure many people upset next door and they don't even know it. Somethings gone wrong where they go down the EH route

I was 19 when i was asked to leave by my landlord because i was making too much noise. I had a flat that was the top half of a terrace and my living room was next to their bedroom, the girl below me was with us all half the time . I must have been a nightmare looking back

Not a single person ever asked me to be quiet while i lived there

Should they really have had to?

19. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i listen to everything really loud, especially movies; but so far i've never had any complaints. i've no idea if neighbours can hear anything, i can never hear any of them so maybe the walls are just really thick. i am living in an old victorian terraced house. as for my house mates, i know they can hear it, cos if i leave my bedroom door open and walk around the house, even from the furthest corner away from my room i can hear everything word for word, but they never complain either :smashin: although when my door is shut, the volume level drops dramatically elsewhere in the house.

20. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I watched a movie last night, from 18:50 to 21:04, i did turn it down but everytime there was a bit of action & the sub would come in, i would start to worry about weather it was anoying anyone & really effected my enjoyment of the film. I worked out that if i watch 3 films a week in the daytime or early evening, i would be making a slightly loud noise for less than 5% of the week, so the neigbours would be having a quite time for over 95% of the week, surley that has got to be reaonable, i mean, i think its a breach of my human rights for me not to be able to use my home cinema equipment the way it was intended ? I have spent thousands on my kit, so i think i have the right to use it for a small percentage of the week, dont you agree ? Also, i forgot to mention, the other week we found a big lump of dog **** stuck on the back numberplate of my missus car (not mine) & a few days later there was a egg thrown at out bedroom window in the daytime when we were out, i dont know if this has anything to do with my home cinema viewing or not, but its a bit strange as nothing like this has happend before.

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No I don't agree as "human rights" stop when it starts to affect other people's lives.

I play my music and films very loudly but I live in a double glazed, detached house and keep the windows shut so that my enjoyment doesn't affect anyone else. My neighbour's daughter however plays her hifi loudly in her bedroom with the windows wide open forcing at least 8 other houses to listen to her music and breaching the basic human rights of all of the people living in those 8 houses to live their lives in peace.

22. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I do not agree. That is the most unbelievably selfish and self-patronising rubbish I've read in a long time.

In the same way as you don't expect your neighbours to have an all-night long party twice a year that keeps everyone up (1/365th of the year) you need to be responsible in your own use of hifi equipment. I fail to see how the cost of your electronics has any bearing on what you're allowed to do. :thumbsdown:

23. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    ok so you dont agree, but then isnt it selfish of others to have things their way a 100% of the time ? anyhow, i dont think you realise that i am not watching my films at all hours with the windows wide open, & from outside you can hear slight rumbling from the bass mostly, thats all. If i thought anyone would understand i thought it would be like minded people who are into home cinema like yourselves. Maybe you use headphones or somthing, i dont understand...........

24. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I am currently awaiting a date for a court hearing regarding our next door neighbour. What started out as noise pollution at ungodly hours has ended up with countless arguments and him assulting my Wife !!!!

He dosn't have a home cinema system though..just an 'all in one' TV that he listened to at stupid levels every minutes of the night and day. My system could easily drown out the noise from his but that is NOT the way to go about things!!

He only moved in about a Year and a half ago and the first thing we did was introduce ourselves and explain that we like to watch movies but if the noise EVER got too much just come and let us know and we will turn it down straight away and it wont happen again. We did this with our old neighbours and we never had a problem...in fact we got on really well with them.

I cannot believe how many people have replied to this saying that they listen to their system loud and have never had complaints so 'assume' that neighbours cannot hear anything. Would it hurt to just explain to neighbours in the first place and even invite them round (if they look the trustworthy type that is) to look at your home cinema to give them a better idea of why you love to watch with the volume high?

There are some very inconsiderate people around who simply dont care about the impact they have on people living near them and harp on about their rights when what it comes down to is their complete disregard and arrogance towards their neighbours.

Sorry for the rant but after having to put up with someone who for months has gone on about 'his right to play music as loud as he wants and we can't do a thing about it' it really gets me mad.

25. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cleric, if you have read all the post's then you will understand that i am not watching films at all hours ect, & the neigbour attached to my hose has been round with his missus in the past & we had a drink & watched black hawk down with full speakers going ect, so please dont label me as one of these yobs that play music all hours. Ian J, i also have all my windows shut & i have secondry glazing, with its bigger gap between the panes should be better for noise insulation. Just take a minute to think about if you were in this situation, where you didnt think you were causing a problem, but you were being forced to watch your films the way other people wanted you to watch it, rather than the way you wanted to watch it. Ths might well be over the parking incident i dont know, but you lot now are talking as if im some kind of inconsiderate person making noise at all hours without a care for anyone, well i hope it happens to some of you so that you can experiance it. eviljoh2, you are wrong there, i would expect & do expect people to have late partys thro out the year, birthdays, xmas, newyear ect, you cant expect to have things your way all the time m8, you sound like the selfish one :thumbsdow

26. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well i'm listening to live 8 at reference levels - no complaints from the neighbours (but can't hear the phone or door bell) :D

27. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just because something is before 11pm does not mean it's easy to live. Of course what's noisey is a subjective thing.

Average person on the street would not feel very sorry for anybody here being told to keep the noise down.

28. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    samjet, thats just selfish man, hope you burn in hell.............. :D hehe

29. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...He said has the old bill takes away his gear:laugh:

30. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    no old bill takes my gear away :D brown envelopes up to date :devil:

to be honest i keep the neighbours sweet by lending them dvds - emmerdale etc :D :D :D