1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A S-Video to SCART Problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by timnkoo, Jan 1, 2005.

1. timnkoo

timnkoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i live in Australia and have just purchased a European made TV with two SCART connectors at the rear. Initially i want to connect my laptop which has a 7-pin S-video TV output to the TV. So i did some research into how its done and went out and bought a SCART adapter which has 3X RCA plugs and a S-Vid plug which has a variable input/output switch. The S-Vid plug on the TV is only 4-pin though and the computer's is 7-pin. So i connect it all up to find (now i see its a well known problem) that i can only achieve a black and white image. Can anyone suggest what my options are (i am willing to pull stuff apart and join wires manually etc) as i have also read that most, if not all, SCART adapters with s-vid sold in Australia cause the black and white image problem. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance,
    tim

2. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    timnkoo,

S-video is 4-pin (luminance and chrominance + earths) therefore your 7-pin on laptop is probably carrying additional information such as a composite signal at the same time.

What television are you using?

S-video on a television is usually on Scart socket no.2,
    Most televisions will detect this automatically although some (such as some Sony models) will need to be selected manually.

The black and white picture is usually because you are trying to output an S-video picture while the television is looking for a composite signal.

Give it a try.

3. timnkoo

timnkoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, thanks for your reply. i have solved the problem, what i did was connect pins 15 and 20 on the SCART plug via a capacitor. This produces a 'near perfect' colour picture. thanks for help