A report on plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dixie, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Dixie

Dixie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All
    Just had to post my own thoughts on a quick trip into a Currys(I know I know,bad set ups etc)
    They had many plasmas and lcds on show and at first I was just interested in the Pannys,just to see if the new ones are better than my 2 year old one BUT next to them were a Techwood and a LG showing footy highlights etc.
    Well I thought I was 'Mr.Picky'of Pickyland,The World but these 2 screens had,for me anyway,a DAMN GOOD picture.I had a job to find much difference from the Panny(yes yes the blacks wernt quite as black).
    Now I Dooooooooooooooo Loooooovvve my Panny VERY VERY much.BUT and it is a big but had I been looking to buy a screen I would of had a battle with myself not to give these two screens another look.
    The Price difference was huge.The Techwood was £1799 for example and the Panny£3699.Yes I know about 'loss leaders' to entice you in the shop etc but but but £1900 is £1900 and I know you can get the Panny cheeper elsewhere.
    I am not saying anything against the brilliant quality etc of Pannys and others.......
    But for Mr. Normal man........

PS. The LCDs where all dreadfull,totaly dreadfull,picture wise.They have ALOT of development to do to catch Plasmas!

These coments are totaly mine and mine alone deduced from a trip into town.

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking at the sets in a Dixons branch and also noticed that the Techwood seemed quite respectable given the limitations of the shop (bright lighting, bad calibration, composite signal connection etc.) but I think that how the plasma looks in Dixons and how it would look in your own setup are two very different things.

I think once you're watching it in a familiar environment (ie. your own home cinema setup) it's limitations and mediocre (at best) performance will be all too apparent. There's a thread [thread=138267]here[/thread] with a Techwood buyer who has experienced this.

But as you say, for the average man in the street who isn't really interested in getting top notch performance, it's probably a tempting proposition.