A record player novice after some technical know-how! :)

jamesloudoun

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I'm James, a big music fan who has just acquired an old record player and set of speakers. All of which seems to be working but my naivety has got the best of me & I'm stumped. The issue I have is that the records are playing, I can hear it through the speakers but it is very very quiet. I have bought an amplifier which is plugged in but I must be missing something in the chain.

I'll attach some pictures of the set-up and i'd really appreciate any tips & help you guys could offer, what am I doing wrong?!

Set-up:

Turntable: AKAI Direct drive turntable. Model No. AP-D30
Speakers: KEF. Model, Cantor
Amp: SMSL SA-36A Pro HIFI Digital Amplifier Amp with 12V Power Adapter.

Pretty basic set-up for now but I will accumulate a better one at a later date.

I'd really appreciate any tips & apologies if it's a very boring and simple resolution (my knowledge is currently very limited on the subject).

Thanks guys
thumbnail_IMG_6863.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_6862.jpg

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_6861.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6861.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 95
  • thumbnail_IMG_6860.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_6860.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 109
You need a simple phono pre-amplifier. The output from the record player is far lower than that from a media or CD player, so needs an additional stage of amplification.

Depending upon budget, there's lots to choose from.

I think you are missing a phono preamp from your setup

You need a simple phono pre-amplifier. The output from the record player is far lower than that from a media or CD player, so needs an additional stage of amplification.

Depending upon budget, there's lots to choose from.
I think you are missing a phono preamp from your setup

Thanks guys, really appreciate that! I assume that would go between the turntable & amp? What extra cables would I need for to connect it? :)

Just to put some meat on what has already been said. .. a vinyl record player has a pickup cartridge which will produce a voltage of maybe 50mV. The output from a CD player or an FM or DAB tuner is about 2V or 40 times bigger. Also the vinyl record has been engineered so that low frequencies are actually recordered smaller than they should be .. a process called RIAA equalisation. . The RIAA frequency response is actually more complex, than that but as an explanation is ok. A phono preamp will increase the voltage level (amplify) by say the 40 times necessary and will also compensate for the RIAA effect. Without proper RIAA equalisation in the preamp the vinyl sound will appear thin or shrill rather than full.
The phono preamp is connected by rca connectors red and white push on coaxial connectors to the player. The output of the phono preamp is then connected to any available inputs in the power amplifier. Phono preamps will need a power supply of some sort.. in some cases just an internal battery.
Some amplifiers and receivers from the 1990s and earlier have a phono preamp built in. If a tuner or cd player were connected to these inputs then the sound would be distorted as putting this RIAA onto these would be incorrect.

I think others are right, you are missing a Phono Equalization Pre-Amp. Now all you have to do is decide how much money you can spend. Likely this Pre-Amp would be fine -

Project Phono Box MM Turntable Pre-Amplifier - Superfi

If you want to spend more, we can accommodate, if you MUST go less, then while it will be difficult, likely we can accommodate that too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-PP400-Microphono-Compact-assorted/dp/B000H2BC4E/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nobsound-Little-Turntable-Preamp-preamplifier-black/dp/B07234CMT1/

Cambridge Audio MM Phono Pre Amp

Give me a few minutes and I will come up with Phono Pre-Amp is the £500 to £5000 range, but I suspect those would be a bit excessive for your needs.

If you must go minimum cost, the Behringer is a major international player in electronics focusing mainly on DJ and PA applications.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000H2BC4E/

Steve/bluewwizard

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom