a receiver with two channels only

tomscrace

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have a Sony Bravia TV connected to a Sony blu-ray player. Audio goes to a Rotel hi-fi amp and then out to a pair of PMC speakers.

Since getting the blu-ray player I have been extremely dissatisfied with the audio coming out of the system on some discs. When the disc has only 5.1/7.1 soundtracks a lot of the audio seems to be lost. I am forced to put the volume up to very high levels to get anywhere near good results. Dialogue audio seems especially prone to being lost. If the disc has a stereo soundtrack the results are usually pretty good.

I assume this is because I am losing centre channel audio, or because the surround soundtracks just are not working well with a stereo set-up.

Therefore I have been looking at getting a receiver and some extra channels. For a variety of reasons I have been going back and forth on speaker choice, unable to decide whether I should get PMC rear and centre channels to match the front or not. Then it occurred to me, maybe I could just get the receiver (I am looking at the Onkyo TXSR507) and set it up to know that I have only two speakers. Then I assume the centre audio will be redistributed to the front R/L channels.

Will this work? I don't really care that much about rear audio anyway, all I want is for a satisfying sound experience from my two front channels, and for dialogue to be properly audible.

I have no previous experience with receivers, so I don't know whether this will work as I expect. Will a properly configured receiver, by itself, be enough to solve the problem?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

Jamie

Distinguished Member
TBH I'd have a look at the settings on the Sony player first. What you describe shouldn't really happen if setup properly. The player should downmix the audio to 2 channel
What connections are you using to get sound to your amp BTW?

tomscrace

Standard Member
I am using RCA outputs with Chord Chrysalis cables. The blu-ray is the Sony BDP-S350.

I have tried everything I can think of with the player, but to no avail. Anybody have specific experience setting this player up for 2 channel output?

If I can solve the problem by just changing some settings then that would be ideal!

Gaspode_TWD

Page 44 of the manual suggests changing setting to audio priority to 'stereo analogue'. Try it to see if it helps.

tomscrace

Standard Member
Thanks for your suggestion.

I have indeed tried setting the priority to stereo analogue, but it did not seem to make much of a difference. There are about 10 different audio settings that I have tried in various combinations, but I am sure I have not tried *all* different combinations!

It might just be a case of suddenly hitting on the right magic combination, but it is a very time consuming process, especially since every time I change a setting I have to go through to whole lengthy disc start up process again. I feel like I am spending hours stabbing in the dark fruitlessly.

Is there anybody out there with a BDP-S350 connected up through analogue outputs to a stereo amp who has good solid audio? If so I would be very interested to know the exact audio settings you have.

This is my current set up (but I am always fiddling around with it):

Audio output priority: stereo analogue
Audio (HDMI): 2ch PCM
BD Audio Setting: Mix
Audio ATT: off
Dolby Digital: Downmix PCM
DTS: Downmix PCM
48khz/96khz PCM: 96khz/24bit
Audio DRC: TV Mode
Downmix: normal

It is worth noting that some blu-rays work fine. Wall-E and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist work great for example. But The Dark Knight, Iron Man, and Beowulf are very disappointing.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom