A receiver under £1,000 for 4ohm speakers.

Alex P79

I have recently upgraded to a Piega centre and Tmicro 60 AMT rear speakers for the AV system. They are 4 ohms. The sound quality/experience is much better than before but, about halfway through watching Tron Legacy, the centre speaker seemed to lose volume. The receiver (Teac Reference AGH550) never went into protect mode but I switched it off, flicked the switch at the back to 4ohm rating and carried on without a further problem - all was fine to the end of the film.

However, I’m beginning to wonder if it’s time to upgrade the TEAC as technology has moved on + the remote has never worked - I’ve owned it from new🙄. I know there are budget models around but I’m put off by concerns over their ability to support 4ohm loads.

I’m not bothered about loads of channels etc. 5.2 is fine for me but I want something that delivers sturdy power. From the Sounds United stable the Marantz SR5015 or the Denon alternatives either side of its price point - the AVR -X2700h or the AVC-X3700h seem great options. An outside choice would be the Marantz NR1711 as the price and form factor are attractive but it may lack enough guts.

On purely aesthetics alone I favour the Marantz SR. The question is, will it provide sufficient upgrade in current delivery /tricky load handling over the Teac?

I did ponder adding a power amp to the TEAC but space is an issue, the remote doesn’t work and I wonder if the issue could be something else other than the power amp section. Perhaps now is the time to move on?

As for room dimensions/system setup:
Room 3.5m x 6.5m x 2.3m approx, though AV system is at one end of the room.
TV - Loewe Art 40 Full HD.
Front speakers - Celestion AVF302 - 8 ohms - run as small.
Centre - Piega S4c - 4 ohms - run as large.
Rears - Piega T-60 Micro - 4 ohms - run as large.
Subwoofer - BK Gemini II.
You might be wondering why I don’t swap the front and rear speakers round? The short answer is space as the back - the Celestions need quite a lot of floor space.

Thoughts about the Marantz and Denon alternatives and their ability to do the job would be greatly appreciated.

Alex

Zarf2007

2nd hand arcam avr550 from eBay would do it

Arcams power ratings are real unlike Denon/marantz which show 1 or two channel driven ratings

also Arcam are excellent for both music and movies

ashenfie

Just as a note ARCAM print on the rear of the 550 that it's not rated at 4Ohms. I would say though as the rears are 4ohms it unlikely to cause any issues.

Alex P79

Arcams power ratings are real unlike Denon/marantz which show 1 or two channel driven ratings

also Arcam are excellent for both music and movies
Thanks - that is the other route I had considered. It’s fair to say that I like Arcam products - I have an A28, DV135, DAC33, A18, 2 x Alpha 5CDPs and a Solo Movie 2.1. Both my dad and brother have Arcam stereo amplification too!

Would the Arcam you linked to have auto calibration and be relatively future proof connectivity wise? Not that I’m planning to change anything anytime soon.

I agree ref receiver power ratings in general - trying to find specs for all channels driven at 8 and 4 ohms for many receivers seems very difficult - is this because they are actually not that powerful? What is the point of quoting just single or 2 channel drive figures in a multichannel amp😕?

Alex P79

Just as a note ARCAM print on the rear of the 550 that it's not rated at 4Ohms. I would say though as the rears are 4ohms it unlikely to cause any issues.
Thanks for the info. These are the specs for the Piegas if that helps.
I have also pictured the pair I own in situ. What do you think about the ability of the Arcam (or anything else) to deal with them?

Attachments

• 297734AF-8451-428A-A02F-10D36AD51C79.png
    297734AF-8451-428A-A02F-10D36AD51C79.png
    329.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 4FDF6DDB-D08C-4190-BB4B-D37F492F3736.jpeg
    4FDF6DDB-D08C-4190-BB4B-D37F492F3736.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 15

Zarf2007

Many people have run these with all 4Ohm speakers without issues

Last edited:

Zarf2007

Thanks - that is the other route I had considered. It’s fair to say that I like Arcam products - I have an A28, DV135, DAC33, A18, 2 x Alpha 5CDPs and a Solo Movie 2.1. Both my dad and brother have Arcam stereo amplification too!

Would the Arcam you linked to have auto calibration and be relatively future proof connectivity wise? Not that I’m planning to change anything anytime soon.

I agree ref receiver power ratings in general - trying to find specs for all channels driven at 8 and 4 ohms for many receivers seems very difficult - is this because they are actually not that powerful? What is the point of quoting just single or 2 channel drive figures in a multichannel amp😕?

Yes it comes with a full license for Dirac tied to the unit, which is one of the best room correction/calibration systems, you just need to download the latest version of Dirac software free from Dirac's site for Windows/Mac and install it on your computer/Laptop. There is a whole thread on dirac on this forum.

Most AVRs have weak power supplies that cannot sustain their figures all channels driven, Arcam are one of the few that give genuine all channel driven figures as they have decent amplification. I think RRP for for the AVR550 was around £2500 originally so you are getting a bargain.

The only things these lack are 4K/120hz(unless you are a hardcore next gen gamer no loss), 8K and eArc. They have Arc, 4K upto 60Hz, HDR/HLG/Dolby Vision along with Dolby Atmos and DTS X so all major formats are covered (forget HDR+ it is dead).

Last edited:

Alex P79

Yes it comes with a full license for Dirac tied to the unit, which is one of the best room correction/calibration systems, you just need to download the latest version of Dirac software free from Dirac's site for Windows/Mac and install it on your computer/Laptop. There is a whole thread on dirac on this forum.

Most AVRs have weak power supplies that cannot sustain their figures all channels driven, Arcam are one of the few that give genuine all channel driven figures as they have decent amplification. I think RRP for for the AVR550 was around £2500 originally so you are getting a bargain.

The only things these lack are 4K/120hz(unless you are a hardcore next gen gamer no loss), 8K and eArc. They have Arc, 4K upto 60Hz, HDR/HLG/Dolby Vision along with Dolby Atmos and DTS X so all major formats are covered (forget HDR+ it is dead).
Many thanks - that is all very useful to know. Gaming is not an issue - the last console I jointly owned was a MK1 Sega Mega Drive/CD combo...

On the Arcam front the other option I had thought of was a used Mk2 Solo Movie. Class G amplification (all channels driven = 60w into 8/75 ish into 4). Contains a Blu-ray, SACD etc. drive and is compact. Clearly not the same flexibility and probably a dead-end upgrade wise but there seem to be a few about circa £600. TBF is might be best for me to save a bit longer and get a 550 when I’m ready if they are circa the £1k mark.

Last edited:

Zarf2007

Many thanks - that is all very useful to know. Gaming is not an issue - the last console I jointly owned was a MK1 Sega Mega Drive/CD combo...

On the Arcam front the other option I had thought of was a used Mk2 Solo Movie. Class G amplification (all channels driven = 60w into 8/75 ish into 4). Contains a Blu-ray, SACD etc. drive and is compact. Clearly not the same flexibility and probably a dead-end upgrade wise but there seem to be a few about circa £600. TBF is might be best for me to save a bit longer and get a 550 when I’m ready if they are circa the £1k mark.
these are also a bargain and a sort of hybrid AVR/music system:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom