1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Rear Speaker Question ( Which ones ? )

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dUnKle, Feb 2, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I currently have a pair of B&W 601s as my rear speakers but was wondering what advantage if any I would get by purchasing and using a pair of bipol speakers ?

I was looking at the JAMO SURROUND 300 but £280 seems rather a lot for 3 year old speakers

2. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
  3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How about some Mission 77DS? (D=Bipole) [​IMG]

4. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I was in LIVERPOOL yesterday doing some shopping and stumbled upon a RICHER SOUNDS store. It was my first visit to one and I was most impressed with there service and prices.

I did not have much time but I grabbed a quick demo of the MORDAUNT-SHORT speakers and purchased them on the spot. I was fairly impressed with the limited demo and £99 is not much money to waste if I found them to be terribe when I get home.

Anyway this morning I have tried them and they are very very good. They are equally as good as the MISSION speakers which I could not have cos space on side walls is limited.

They are about the same size and same weight as the JAMO Surround speakers and like I said very good sound wise. I wathed various scenes and was impressed with the new life a pair of bipolar speakers gives.

5. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to 'steal in' on your thread here Dunc, but it didn't seem worth starting a new one when I'm asking the same question!
    My current rears are Celestion MP-1's. been with me for years, & been great. But, I'd like to upgrade them. I'd appreciate any views on what to go for. My current fronts are Kef coda 9's & my centre is a B&W CC6, so I would guess that something from either of those manufacturer's would be best. Also they must be wall mountable. If you've seen the Baldyplex you'll understand why!

------------------
    www.baldyplex.com

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    I have a B&W CC6 center and 603 fronts and found that the MORDAUNT-SHORT bi-pole rears that I purchased are excellent with them.

They sound much more expensive than they are and compare equally as well as the more expenive JAMO speakers, it would, I think, be very hard to tell the two apart if you did not know which was which.

They are not THE most bassy sounding speakers but as I have ALL my speakers set at small anyway this is not too much of a problem.

I have spent a fair few hours listening/watching films since installing the MORDAUNT-SHORT speakers and am most impressed. The rear sound stage is now much bigger and more alive

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Eltax Chroma rear bi pole speakers (as part of the full Chroma speaker package) and they are excellent. Very clear and add a whole new dimension to the rear soundstage. As Duncan says about the MS's, the Eltax are not the most bass heavy but with speakers et to small they really do sound impressive.
    I get the feeling that the Chroma bi poles are simply re packaged versions of Eltax's HT2 bipole speakers, but these have had great reviews also.
    Both the Chroma and HT2 are £149 but for some reason Richer Sounds are not stocking the Chroma range of speakers ??

------------------
    "I dont know what the hell's in there, but it's wierd and ****ed off whatever it is!"
    MacReady:
    The member formaly known as Jason

8. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to the advice I got from my query regarding bipole speakers on my other thread...I just bought the ht2's from Richer Sounds (£149) and they sound fantastic. The amount of depth and bass they add to the rear soundstage is great. (however, the 'bubbles' bit before the music starts for the credits to "fight club" now makes me feel slightly sick.) For the price, they are a giveaway.