1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A really dumb question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lee.lewell@mera, Dec 9, 2003.

1. lee.lewell@mera

lee.lewell@mera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently building a Home cinema and I am lukcy enough to have enough speakers to have 4 rear speakers. I am going to wire up the room to handle this BUT at the moment I only have a system that can drive 2 rear speakers, i.e. I don't have 7.1 amp or similar. Can I make use of the extra speakers or do I have to wait until I can upgrade my amp?

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    firstly welcome! and secondly.. its not a dumb question!

does your amp have pre-outs for all the cinema channels? if so, and presuming your amp will use its internal amps at the same time as using the pre-outs, then you could attach another amplifier to the rear pre-outs to drive the second pair of speakers.

alternatively, and a lot of this will depend on the impedance of your rear speakers, you could wire the 2 lefts and the 2 rights in series. if your speakers are 8 ohms nominally, that will present the amplifier with a 16 ohm load, which most are happy to deal with. you would wire the amp +ve to rear-left-1 +ve, the -ve of that speaker to the +ve of the rear-left-2 and the -ve back to amp -ve (if you follow). this may be an ok thing to do for the rears in the interim - but may also depend on the amp you have but having that second amplifier would be a better option - you could probably pick one up from richer sounds quite cheaply.

3. lee.lewell@mera

lee.lewell@mera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris.
    I use a Yamaha DSP-E800 processor to drive the rears and Centre speakers.
    Can you explain
    "does your amp have pre-outs for all the cinema channels? if so, and presuming your amp will use its internal amps at the same time as using the pre-outs, then you could attach another amplifier to the rear pre-outs to drive the second pair of speakers.
    "
    in a little more detail please? :confused:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IF yamaha processor will output thorough its amps (current rears) and pre outs to stereo amp, you can have 2 RS and LS speakers. personally i wouldnt bother as it wont be a huge benefit unbelss room is huge, Gat an HK AVR4500 (discontinued) or AVR4550 which has Logic 7 then use 4 rears.

5. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    what i mean is, your E800 has internal amplification to drive the centre and rear speakers. but it also has line level outputs to attach separate amplifiers to drive the speakers. what i was suggesting was to connect another stereo amplifier to the line level outputs of your E800 and you will then be able to drive your second pair of speakers while the E800 drives your first pair of rear speakers

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You need to upgrade the amp. The DSP-E800 is strictly 5.1 only, so it can't decode the newer formats like DD Ex, DTS Es, DTS Es Discrete or DPLIIx. You could wire the 2 rear pairs in parellel though, creating a speaker array.

7. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    reiner, wouldn't series be a safer option in terms of amp load? (all depending on the speakers in question, of course).

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    @chrisgeary: yes, if the speakers have an impedance of 4 Ohm then that will be safer. If it's 8 Ohm then I would wire in parallel.

Thanks for highlighting that!

9. lee.lewell@mera

lee.lewell@mera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and what is the difference between Parallel and Series?

10. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The resulting impedance: 2x 4 Ohm in series gives 8 Ohm, 2x 4 Ohm in parallel gives 2 Ohm, the latter being a tough load for an amp. In comparision two 8 Ohm speakers in parellel results in 4 Ohm total.

How to wire in series (applies to each side, i.e. R or L):
    Amp Speaker Terminal + (red) to LS 1 Speaker Terminal + (red)
    LS 1 Speaker Terminal - (black) to LS 2 Speaker Terminal + (red)
    LS 2 Speaker Terminal - (black) to Amp Speaker Terminal - (black)

How to wire in parallel:
    Amp Speaker Terminal + (red) to LS 1 Speaker Terminal + (red) and LS 2 Speaker Terminal + (red)
    Amp Speaker Terminal - (black) to LS 1 Speaker Terminal - (black) and LS 2 Speaker Terminal - (black)

12. lee.lewell@mera

lee.lewell@mera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you both