• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

A realistic and practical living room home cinema.

AVRAG

Established Member
Hi All,
Just thought I'd contribute, hoping that this might help anyone with a similar setup and was looking for ideas.
This was a "How do I get everything I want without totally taking over the living room and getting told off" build.
You can find a video and description from myself on my YouTube (link in my signature).
Cheers.

Attachments

• 20190207_094926.jpg
    20190207_094926.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,864
  • 20190207_095102.jpg
    20190207_095102.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,759
  • 20190207_095456.jpg
    20190207_095456.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,710

Sea Eagle

Established Member
Very very nice mate. Love the look.

N3ptun3m00n

Prominent Member
Just watched that video lol - I also watched the Destiny unboxing one ( yes I am at work with nothing to do lol ) I am intrigued as to what the silver thing was with the electronics gubbins inside :)

PS: lovely set up - you are right, having a family friendly set up whilst having your own gear in there is definitely hard work but this looks really smooth!

AVRAG

Established Member
Just watched that video lol - I also watched the Destiny unboxing one ( yes I am at work with nothing to do lol ) I am intrigued as to what the silver thing was with the electronics gubbins inside :)

PS: lovely set up - you are right, having a family friendly set up whilst having your own gear in there is definitely hard work but this looks really smooth!
Ah thanks so much for the support.

So inside the silver prism was 3 things:
1. A solar panel with usb support to charge mobile devices
2. Paracord - small length of climbing robe :D
3. silver tin foil blanket... again, :D

russelkhan

Established Member
It must sound absolutely amazing. I'm quite keen on the Dali Alteco myself, hoping to get a pair soon.

It's a great looking setup and truly enviable.

However, if I was to nitpick, I'd say the speakers are too big in relation to the TV, and they dominate the room. Too many big black boxes. Personally I would go for smaller satellites (e.g. Monitor Audio Radius HD) but keeping the Alteco height speakers. Alternatively, speakers that are the same colour as the walls would not stand out so much.

pressure

Prominent Member
Very nice clean set up.

AVRAG

Established Member
If you want better performance and a more discrete installation, I'd suggest in an wall system instead. If the walls or your circumstances don't allow for this, then smaller satellite speakers with a sub would also work.
So you suggest I downgrade my speakers to satellites? :laugh: Why would I do that? lol

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
It would be an upgrade. By placing a speaker that plays bass on a cabinet, you get poor mid bass response so dialogue would be chesty for example. Full range speakers are great but not if they are placed against a wall or in a cabinet.

For full range sound, you need a sub to play down to 20Hz. Once you do that there is no benefit to using speakers that play bass. So you can use smaller speakers for a neater installation that wouldn't give excessive mid bass.

This approach means you can also use three identical LCRs which is the only way to get a seamless front soundstage.

I'm very happy to demonstrate how much better sounding and more discrete this approach is if you are interested?

jimster99

Established Member
Looks great. My top tip would be to mount a projector on the ceiling and a retractable screen on the wall. Will be barely noticeable but pull down the screen and BOOM a 2+ metre image.

Last edited:

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Debatable. I get to see some incredible set ups and last week helped with a big MK/Lyngdorf system and a Steinway install. A JVC X7 projector was installed with the Steinway system in a jet-black room and the sound and vision were simply awesome.

Richard is installing a Steinway system with a JVC projector today and I know this will be astonishing as the walls are all being fabric clad. I hope the client is happy to share some pictures when its finished as this will be one of the best cinemas in the country.

I love the big image but not if its at the expense of quality and you just can’t get that unless the room is blacked out.

jimster99

Established Member
It's horses for courses. Personally, given the choice between a 4k 50" TV with all the latest trimmings and a 2.4m wide 1080p £600 projector image, and I'd take the latter every time (as in fact I did) :)

shodan

Distinguished Member
Stunning setup.
How do you find the Dali's? I'm using 4 X Zensor 1 with the BK Electronic Monolith for the sub and I LOVE it!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom