A Real Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Rolo Tomasi, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The upgrade bug has bitten and I am looking to improve on my Sony STR-DB940. Music and films are equal priorities and, for convenience, I want a one-box solution, with the latest bells and whistles on, minimum 6.1 output etc.

I am considering the STR-VA555ES, Pioneer VSX-D2011 and Denon 3803 (whenever it appears) level of receiver.

My questions are:

1. Will there be a significant difference between my current receiver and those listed above?
    2. Would I be better to go the extra mile and choose, say, the AVC A11SR?
    3. If I chose the A11SR, is it likely to be up-dated shortly as it seems to have been around for nearly a year and it's US model equivalent is the 4802 and the ..02 range seems to be being replaced with the ..03?

Any advice? My pocket is beginning to smoulder!!

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think an external power for the front channels, includind center, if it is as good as the mains, wil be a bigger improvement... and you can place it out of sight...

3. Rolo Tomasi

Rolo Tomasi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Despite Lowrider's advice, I have more-or-less settled on a Rotel RSX 1065 and I am going to demo one tomorrow. I know it has only 5.1 output as it stands but that could be increased to 6/7.1 later.

Has anybody else bought / demoed this receiver? How does it compare to others in a similar price bracket (eg Denon AVCA11SR) ?

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    I demo'd the AVC11SR before eventually buying a Tag AV32R and keeping some of the power amps I had already accumulated with a set of Linn Keltiks...the Denon is a very well specc'd and beautifully built machine,but like most receivers,a bit lacking in definition and control compared(unfairly maybe)to what I had been using.
    Having said that,it really does offer a lot for the price,and sounds as good as anything in it's range....it's also the one box solution that you said you were looking for...in my case I found the compromises of the one box route a little too many,having had a good,powerful stereo before(triamped Active Linn/Krell system).

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Well I can honestly say I've never added power amps to the outputs of my AV Amps except for a stereo int. amp for the front to channels.

Judging on my results with the stereo amps, I would think that the Sony's Pre-Amp / Processor stage would be a lot further away in terms of quality from the £1000ish amps meantioned than it's poweramp stage. Therefore I would sugest that he would be better upgrading to a better integrated amp rather than adding poweramps unless he is likely to be in the position of buying a processor at a later date.

Victoria