A 'rare' thing, but my NOT-SO-GOOD dealings with XTZ

Markie Boy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
First, let me be clear, I love XTZ speakers (or, at least what I have heard). Also, let me iterate that despite what you are about to read below, I have nothing but high praise for Rikard from XTZ who as you know is a forum contributor. He has been a shining light in this whole affair, and has kept me in the loop to the best of his ability. It seems powers way beyond myself and himself conspired to work against us.

Some backstory...
It was around October 2009 that I began to read up on XTZ as a speaker brand on these very forums. With so much discussion, I became intrigued by what appeared to be a fantastic product at a great price. I became very interested specifically in the 99.26/10.17 combo which was used by a couple of users in high end systems with matching high end equipment. I decided I wanted IN! So my quest to own these speakers began, despite committing the cardinal rule in AV - listen to speakers before you buy!
So in Nov 2009 I contacted Rikard via this forum, enquiring how much the combo would cost. Unfortunately the answer was not good - at the time the cost of shipping from Sweden would be as much as the products themselves. Dismayed, a couple of weeks had past when I came across an Australian-based dealer with access to XTZ product (found on XTZs website, yet no-one told me this?). Despite being on the other side of this fine continent, I made contact and as a fellow enthusiast who works in the AV industry (which I am), he gave me a good price on what I wanted. In January 2010 I committed to buying these speakers, and paid. I was informed it would take up to 3 months for delivery, but was offered a loan pair of 99.25 speakers in the interim (which I accepted, and confirmed the risk in buying un-auditioned speakers can reap rewards).
The lows, and the unexpected high
So, cutting a long story somewhat shorter, 8 months had passed and I was finally informed that the speakers could NOT be supplied. I had already sold my previous (and much loved ELAC floorstanders) and was now back at the beginning again. In frustration I did contact Rikard asking about the situation, and I was surprised (but chuffed to bits) to hear Rikard tell me that as they now warehouse in Hong Kong, I should go onto the XTZ website and buy them online. XTZ would even add Australia to the shop. So a couple of emails back and forth, and waiting for my refund from the original distributor, and the speakers were paid for, AGAIN, at the beginning of November last year.
But now it gets really weird
I was initially told a 3 week wait, but as I heard little to nothing from XTZ, I would contact them periodically (via their website). But the replies I received were not adding up, at one stage I was informed the speakers were en route and in France (I was told they were shipping from HK remember?), then another time they had to inform the HK warehouse that they got my delivery and shipping details the wrong way round, even to the point at one stage China was asking if I could pick the speakers up directly from the port! I was then notified (well, only after I made contact) a week or so before Xmas that the speakers had returned (from where, who knows) to Sweden, and the cost of shipping to me was too high. I was not happy about this, and unfortunately even now I feel that the contact throughout my order was not 'accurate' as to the whereabouts or 'status' of the order. It is my belief that XTZ simply mis-quoted on the freight charge to begin with, and strung me out for 6 weeks to make it look like an effort was made. I mean, if the speakers were attempted but not delivered to their destination, the sender has no obligation to pay the freight company (at least thats how it works over here). I was even informed by XTZ that it was cheaper to ship these speakers from Sweden to me, rather than HK to me (about a 10,000km difference!)
Rikard was doing his best over the holidays to organise a solution, but I was informed this week that the 13 month-old dream to own these speakers is over, and I received a refund yesterday, although, considering the currency conversion charges the banks impose, Im actually over AUD$100 out of pocket. And no speakers. And over a year of my life in research and huge anticipation for this product.
It is also my belief, although I didnt press the issue with them, that a contract between me and XTZ had been made when I submitted my order and they took my payment from me. Any errors unfortunately made on their behalf really shouldnt be my concern. They shouldve come through and provided the product. And considering my first dealings with their Australian representation was a disaster (a recommendation from the XTZ website no less), there shouldve been more of an effort. In fact, considering they supplied stock in the past to Australia, you would expect there wouldve been prior knowledge of freight costs. In some countries consumer affairs would certainly look at this 'sale' and come down on the side of the customer.
I apologise for the rant. I know it is the well-versed belief on these forums that XTZ have excellent customer service. I believe each and every one of you have positive experiences. Unfortunately for me I have been let down not once but twice (XTZ did have the Australian distributor listed on their website). Most disappointingly, I dont own the speakers I REALLY REALLY WANTED TO OWN. I will always read the XTZ posts on this forum with a little bit of disappointment, and possibly jealousy.

The moral of the story is (I think, for me!), if you hail from outside of the EU, it might be prudent to contact XTZ to see if your dreams can actually be fulfilled.

Very sorry to hear that Markie.

Is there nobody in Ireland that can buy them for you then ship them out to you? Probably very expensive :-(

I would be gutted too, to finally make a choice on the perfect speakers, then go through 13 months of waiting and still no speakers at the end.

Sounds really unlucky, but you never know. I feel bad for you but must give you credit for for remaining composed, at least in you post anyway :smashin:

Very sorry to hear that Markie.

Is there nobody in Ireland that can buy them for you then ship them out to you? Probably very expensive :-(

I would be gutted too, to finally make a choice on the perfect speakers, then go through 13 months of waiting and still no speakers at the end.

I couldve shipped them to my family in Dublin, but at 70Kg these speakers wouldve been pricey to ship to Australia. Obviously for XTZ the cost of shipping is a lot less as they would have account(s) with freight companies.

Sounds really unlucky, but you never know. I feel bad for you but must give you credit for for remaining composed, at least in you post anyway :smashin:

Thanks Moonfly, not impressed sure but those are the breaks I guess.

I should point out that for the past year Ive been running a pair of XTZ 99.25 bookshelf speakers on 'loan' from the then-XTZ supplier here in Australia. I have since negotiated a very very special price with them to retain these, as despite not being on par with what I wanted originally, I have been very impressed with them. I also managed to negotiate a very very good price on a pair of the 99.36 floorstanders, which should fill out the open plan space a lot better than the 25s. Not quite the end result I wanted, but some compromise nonetheless. Of course even this scenario isnt complete without some kind of higher intervention. The 99.36 speakers are coming from Queensland, which Im sure many of you know has been experience some weather issues lately - there is severe delays on freight leaving the state as a result, so not sure how long before I see the speakers! Surprised? I'm not!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom