A Quiet Place Part II Movie Review & Comments

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
The problem with second guessing the writers is you end up with alternative strategies that have even more plot holes than the ones you think you are fixing.
I think this is right.
But I will say that the premise of the first is kind of a house of cards of suspension of disbelief.

"It's Sound!" is the headline on a newspaper presumably printed on a noisy printing press, to be distributed by noisy trucks to a shop nobody can visit.

I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't really now, but the more unlikely elements that the plot heavily relies on, the greater the force of will required to just sit back and enjoy it. Can't blame people if any of those little leaps of faith is the straw that broke the camel's back.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I think this is right.
But I will say that the premise of the first is kind of a house of cards of suspension of disbelief.

"It's Sound!" is the headline on a newspaper presumably printed on a noisy printing press, to be distributed by noisy trucks to a shop nobody can visit.

I didn't have a problem with it then and I don't really now, but the more unlikely elements that the plot heavily relies on, the greater the force of will required to just sit back and enjoy it. Can't blame people if any of those little leaps of faith is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Yeah most works of fiction can be taken apart with the right amount of scrutiny. Because there is no real world frame of reference. However I usually ask myself what the director is trying to say. Is it a alien invasion survival manual? Or is it a story about family and human relationships told via a visceral sensory experience? Provided it does that effectively, the details are secondary. Fair enough though if some feel different.

Good point about the printing press, but I guess the attacks weren't simultaneous so they managed to get out as much news as possible as the crisis unfolded, before being hit themselves.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Late to the party as always, but just got back from seeing this (due to sadly not getting the chance before today!)

Will need to digest it, but every bit as good as the first one for me. Very nicely played by Krasinski, very nice indeed.

nickkuk

Late to the party as always, but just got back from seeing this (due to sadly not getting the chance before today!)

Will need to digest it, but every bit as good as the first one for me. Very nicely played by Krasinski, very nice indeed.
I also just saw this in an IMAX/Atmos theatre and thoroughly enjoyed it. I would give it a 9/10 for a very successful sequel in my view. I thought the overarching plot through the films was well done and was glad they didn't do the obvious thing for the sequel
and kill off other family members
I thought the sound editing was brilliant again and will definitely get the UHD to watch again at home.

WarHog

First return trip to the cinema to see this, brilliant sequel.
I'm not one to jump in my seat, but this made me jump a few times, even the times when you anticipate it happening, but here were also unexpected jump moments.

The can really run with this story so we could see many sequels and prequels showing things such as more of the initial invasion of earth, storylines in other areas of the world etc.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Went back for a second viewing, such a good sequel and so effective at what it does. Really hope they can maintain this intensity in the third film, and not repeat themselves too much. This one threatened to at times. It’s not perfect but it’s a damn good piece of edge of seat filmmaking. Sticking with 8/10

BorkenArrow

. Wonder how the aliens managed to survive on an airless meteor yet drowned in water.

jdevil

Distinguished Member
These survival films are very frustrating because it constantly relies on characters doing something illogical, plain dumb or Fast and Furious missions to create drama and/or further the story. That’s all there was in this film, hugely predictable but that’s the industry right now with the high scores awarded from the crowd. Really no originality in the entire 90 minutes of this film and everything had been done beforehand or in the first film.

1/5

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Anybody know when the last is set for, I have seen conflicting dates and want to see how they finish it off before binging or is it early for a set date?

GBBooze

In all honesty I found this to be quite forgettable. A very well made film and good acting though. Maybe the overall plot just isn't for me.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
. Wonder how the aliens managed to survive on an airless meteor yet drowned in water.

I don't know if
they drowned or not, they simply can't swim. Being on the meteor, one assumes that they go dormant inside their exoskeletons and survive like extremophiles.
Or maybe it simply hasn't been explained yet. They are aliens after all.

Gambit1977

It was good continuation but not sure what is left to continue
The ending leaves so many unanswered questions
Surely if there are unanswered questions it is able to continue?

I may be biased as just like the first, I loved it. It just ticks every box for me. Yeah people can pick plotholes, one big bugbear with some seems to be what the creatures react to sound wise, but the constant chirping they seem to give off suggests to me it’s as much super powered sonar as pure sound. I could be wrong, end of the day, doesn’t make me enjoy it any less.

theprestige

Watched it. It's good and there are some exciting moments, but it's not as strong as the first one.

As others said, the ending is very flat, especially when you consider how masterful the first film's ending is.

The opening scene is good, but again, the lack of mystery that was apparent in the first one made it somewhat pointless beyond thrills.

It's very well acted throughout, just like the first one but Cillian Murphy is the MVP in this one. A complete badarse without even trying to be one. His Emmett is the most engaging throughout and it's him who goes on the biggest journey of the film. I was fondly reminded of his starring turn in not too dissimilar 28 Days Later.

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
Loved it and done great moments that made me jump, nice continuation of the story I wonder if they will finish it off.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I finally sat down to watch this film.

Anyway the sound design was excellent but maybe not quite as good as part 1 but it is only DD+ so hopefully the disc will be better. Saying that there was the most perfect front to back transition I've ever heard. It wasn't a pan, just a seemless transition from rear to forward height and surround speakers when the same scene switched to a different perspective. I think this would have been difficult to achieve standard channel based audio. The picture quality is similar to the first, no outstanding HDR, just very natural and life like.

From some of the comments I can see here there might be just a tad too much analysis going on lol. I watched Bait 3D (which also has a nice sound design) and then this and I enjoyed them both. I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there's one actor whose only job in almost every film he appears in, is to disappear not long after you see him. Overall a nice expansion of the Quiet Place franchise. The Krasiniski family have a nice little franchise on their hands.

Last edited:

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
I finally sat down to watch this film.

Anyway the sound design was excellent but maybe not quite as good as part 1 but it is only DD+ so hopefully the disc will be better. Saying that there was the most perfect front to back transition I've ever heard. It wasn't a pan, just a seemless transition from rear to forward height and surround speakers when the same scene switched to a different perspective. I think this would have been difficult to achieve standard channel based audio. The picture quality is similar to the first, no outstanding HDR, just very natural and life like.

From some of the comments I can see here there might be just a tad too much analysis going on lol. I watched Bait 3D (which also has a nice sound design) and then this and I enjoyed them both. I don't know if this was mentioned before, but there's one actor whose only job in almost every film he appears in, is to disappear not long after you see him. Overall a nice expansion of the Quiet Place franchise. The Krasiniski family have a nice little franchise on their hands.
I liked Bait, was a solid movie for me. Waiting for last part of AQP though before watching this one.

rustybin

Distinguished Member
Finally watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Yes, there's a lot of ridiculousness going on. Maybe not Tomorrow Wars levels, but they're there.

But it was well acted, good story and nice and short, not outstaying its welcome.

7.5/10.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom