A Quiet Place Part II Movie Review & Comments

Winnie1221

Watched this last night at my local IMAX - Thought it was a great sequal, maybe didn't reach the heights of the first (that is definitely one of top 10 films of all time), but maybe that is because we knew what was coming a little more than the original.

A solid 8.5/10 for me.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
The ending didn't go down well with the screening i was in. There was quite the ripple of negativity given it's nature. Very much a collective "Is that it?!".
I appreciate that the ending was very
abrupt like the first, but whereas the first has Blunt about to do battle with a shotgun (and brought a smile to my face), the sequel's seemed a odd place to stop, and felt half baked.
Completely disagree with that.

Drax1

Distinguished Member
Completely disagree with that.
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy others have had a good time with it, and I don't like to be overly negative on something that definitely had a lot of positives. However, with the ending, it felt too
much like half a story, not fully formed and sequel bait. The original ended abruptly, but in a far more satisfying way, and as nice as it is to get a sequel, it didn't need one.

raymondo77

I definitely didn’t expect it to just cut to black where it did. But I guess in the context of the first film it makes sense. It’d all been building up to that moment, so end on a high I guess?

FevreDream

I enjoyed the first one, have it on 4K disc, so I’ll probably get this as well to go with it. I’m happy with more of the same and their brisk running time is perfect for a quick viewing when all you want is a bit of simple entertainment.

Benji315

You should have done what I often do mate - turn around and tell them to shut up! I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing now, and unless I'm significantly outnumbered, I have to make a stand. The cinema staff may as well not be there as none of the screenings are policed in any way. What a shame a first trip back to the flicks got ruined by inconsiderate people. We had people still coming in when the film had been running for 20 minutes, which as anyone who's already seen it will know, they missed a tremendous opening!
A group of 5 arrived 35 minutes into Spiral the other week when I went, why even bother when you've missed so much plot!

Going to see this tonight in recliners with Atmos in a new Odeon Luxe, can't wait!

richp007

Distinguished Member
You should have done what I often do mate - turn around and tell them to shut up! I have zero tolerance for that sort of thing now, and unless I'm significantly outnumbered, I have to make a stand. The cinema staff may as well not be there as none of the screenings are policed in any way. What a shame a first trip back to the flicks got ruined by inconsiderate people. We had people still coming in when the film had been running for 20 minutes, which as anyone who's already seen it will know, they missed a tremendous opening!

I'd end up in a prison cell probably. Can't tolerate people being noisy when I'm watching a film!

milano j

Using the word "Familiar" as a detrimental factor to a sequel review now that's Familiar and very harsh to this would be Trilogy ....especially with all the guff the film studios have been excreting out over the past decade

hitman2411

I'd end up in a prison cell probably. Can't tolerate people being noisy when I'm watching a film!
You'd have loved the experience I'm just back from during this. First film i've seen in cinema since Tenet last year and was so looking forward to this, but heyho I draw the short straw and am seated across the isle from a guy who decides, for the entire 95 mins, to munch his way through a large nachos, then popcorn and to finish it off a large bag of crisps, and slurped through a giant soft drink, and worst of all he was trying to to do one of those i'm eat quietly munching or rattling my bag approaches which just made it ten times worse for me. Arrrgghhhh.

Anyhow, tried my best to Zen filter him out of my ears and focus on the film, for me it was great and a solid 8.5 for me

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
You'd have loved the experience I'm just back from during this. First film i've seen in cinema since Tenet last year and was so looking forward to this, but heyho I draw the short straw and am seated across the isle from a guy who decides, for the entire 95 mins, to munch his way through a large nachos, then popcorn and to finish it off a large bag of crisps, and slurped through a giant soft drink, and worst of all he was trying to to do one of those i'm eat quietly munching or rattling my bag approaches which just made it ten times worse for me. Arrrgghhhh.
At least he didn‘t fart.

Evinger

Distinguished Member

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Do these people not understand that the cinema is meant to be... A QUIET PLACE?

Giving myself a pat on the back this morning for that one. Good job, Tommy. Good job.

Benji315

Giving myself a pat on the back this morning for that one. Good job, Tommy. Good job.
Maybe keep the jokes to yourself and it'll be even quieter ;) haha.

Really enjoyed seeing this last night, short and sweet just like the first. It felt very tense throughout and having watched the first one (I know I'm late!) the night before on my home system compared to the cinema I wish I'd have watched the first in the cinema when it came out / the double bill.

Only disappointment was my Odeon Luxe had literally no food other than popcorn on offer and all the drinks were out of stock except basic Coke and Sprite despite having the new fancy Freestyle machines with 80 odd choices. Lots of staff stood around too, only 5 people in my screening.

richp007

Distinguished Member

Anyhow, tried my best to Zen filter him out of my ears and focus on the film, for me it was great and a solid 8.5 for me

Had I been there he'd have mysteriously choked on a Dorito.

richp007

Distinguished Member

tony.gif

Cobb

Distinguished Member
Just got back from seeing it. Hadn’t been to the cinema for about 5yrs. Loved the experience and the film. I changed our booking and ended up paying £9.99 each for Vue Gold Class recliners - worth every single penny.

crabby09

The plot holes throughout the first movie just made this a flop for me. So they can go to a waterfall and talk freely? Why dont cities just play music through massive loudpseakers and fight back?

Nope lets sit in silent and pretend a cough will get us killed XD

It was a nice try but just another poor concept horror

I don't think monsters can kill/destroy waterfalls... And at some point they'll get used to the white noise and leave it alone?

But yeah I agree there would have been a lot of potential to use sound as an offensive tactic early on in the cataclysm. I guess it was either too little too late or that it was probably used successfully in some places that had time to react with the rest going to purge.

crabby09

American cinema is the worst for this... The constant narrative from the audience leads to a very different viewing experience - one which I feel has no doubt changed the way films are produced over the years. Its almost like tension is an impossibility so they've just leaned in to it for the majority of releases, leaving little room for films like this to succeed in a public environment. Annoyingly, its why I only really visit the cinema for family films or blockbusters now.

La Finta Nonna

Enjoyed the film greatly, 7 for me. also enjoyed the visiting the cinema routine again. Just goes to show how much you take certain things for granted

nobby

Solid successor to the 1st. Really enjoyed it and it managed to make me jump the odd occasion as well.

certainly an 8 from me.

here is hoping they do a proper job on part iii

gpt

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Are you suggesting the film is set in a completely under developed fictional world?
I didn’t ‘suggest’ anything, I asked you which cities could have implemented your brilliant strategy.

It’s pretty clear, from both movies, that human population centres were almost immediately overrun. Long before any weaknesses could be discovered. So at what point did people get together and decide to ‘play music through massive loudspeakers’ to protect themselves? And how would they communicate the idea to each other?

gpt

I didn’t ‘suggest’ anything, I asked you which cities could have implemented your brilliant strategy.

It’s pretty clear, from both movies, that human population centres were almost immediately overrun. Long before any weaknesses could be discovered. So at what point did people get together and decide to ‘play music through massive loudspeakers’ to protect themselves? And how would they communicate the idea to each other?
I'm sure the correlation between their dependence on silence and aversion to loud noise was completely un noticeable when these monsters first turned up. I can't imagine a single gun was even fired as they were immediately overrun as you say.

Look it's just a film - there's plot holes in a lot of films. I just found this one extremely simple giving me a "wtf" moment, which took the enjoyment away from it for me

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I'm sure the correlation between their dependence on silence and aversion to loud noise was completely un noticeable when these monsters first turned up. I can't imagine a single gun was even fired as they were immediately overrun as you say.

Look it's just a film - there's plot holes in a lot of films. I just found this one extremely simple giving me a "wtf" moment, which took the enjoyment away from it for me

We're only witnessing the incident within a fairly small compass (part of upstate New York) so we don't know how other areas have coped. And its still fairly soon (about a year) after the attack so people are still learning. There may be places (more isolated or surrounded by water) that have developed strategies like the one you suggested. The problem with second guessing the writers is you end up with alternative strategies that have even more plot holes than the ones you think you are fixing.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG rumoured to release 97-inch OLED TV in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone