A quick review of my new Sony Xperia Z5 dual SIM

Jules

Distinguished Member
Until very recently I knew very little about mobile phones and have been using an iPhone for years. In fact, I still have an iPhone 6 Plus.

But, after setting up a business early this year, I started to need to carry 2 phones about... my iPhone for personal stuff, and a budget/midrange Android phone for business.
Well... I soon got fed up of this and started hunting around for dual SIM phones.

Sadly there are very few dual SIM phones in the UK (most are budget models too), and an imported
model usually maxes out with 3G in the UK.

I became interested in a Sony Xperia Z(X) dual SIM handset when I learned that they tend to cover most of the bands needed for 4G in the UK.

I already have Sony Smartwatch 3, a Sony W905 Television, and a (very under used) PS4 so a Sony mobile phone seamed like a good idea... plus the unique waterproofing is something I will genuinely benefit from when stuffed in a wet pocket while out scrambling. In truth, I've been looking for reliable ways to make an iPhone waterproof without bulk for years.

And so I took the plunge and ordered a dual SIM Xperia Z5 (in green) from an importer, and they came up trumps. Cheaper than the UK single SIM version and it came with earphones... something the UK version apparently does not come with.

Now, if there's one thing I was nervous about it was if the thing became hot easily. It uses the Snapdragon 810 chip notorious for such behaviour.
Initially I was worried because I plugged it in to charge while setting up and it did get quite warm near the top... but it was clearly working hard behind the scenes downloading and syncing everything from my google account, and once this was completed it settled down and it has barely got even slightly warm in normal use since. Excellent.

So what do I think of the device?
Well, it ticks almost every box for me ... indeed I was smiling when my bluetooth headphones paired over NFC instantly, and I had TV mirroring running in equally double quick time.
It looks lovely in green too. :)

The only thing is, it feels so damn fragile. It's quite square, not all that lightweight, covered in glass, slippery and needs a case... if only to give reassurance when plonking it down on a table.
But.. have you tried finding a case for a Sony Xperia phone? Nowhere sells them!!!
I had assumed I could pop to my local Tesco Extra, Carphone Warehouse, O2 shop... even my local Indian mobile phone market stall, and try one or 2 models out. Nope.... NOTHING.

And you know what, that's a crying shame. It's like nearly all the mobile phone retailers have given up on Sony, but they shouldn't. The Z5 is quite possible the best mobile phone I've owned yet.

Battery life is pretty good, the camera is good, its fast, attractive, waterproof, has a micro SD card slot, has stereo front speakers, a plenty good enough 1080p screen, and it performs excellently.
The finger print scanner (built into the side mounted power button) is extremely fast and reliable, and it has a few other goodies you'd never get on iOS... like an FM radio, notification light, dedicated camera button (with 2 stage press just like a real camera) etc.

I may just have convinced myself to leave the iOS stable with this device, I'm just not sure yet I can bring myself to sell the 6 plus... I mean its such a great slow motion video camera I should keep hold of it just for that.

In conclusion, I feel Sony deserves some recognition for this device. They are cruelly overlooked in the smartphone market nowadays and they really shouldn't be. In fact, I'd argue you'd be a fool not to consider this model in a single or dual SIM variant.

Just get a bloomin' case for it online before you take it out into the wild.

:)

Last edited:

jg213

Good to hear some real world experience about the Z5. I've never had a dual sim phone, quick question, can you turn one sim off? for example you have a work number and you don't want to be contacted on it when not in work can you select to stop receiving calls on one of the sims when/if you choose?

How are the front facing speakers? I heard the water proofing might dampen the sound? and how's the battery life so far?

Jules

Distinguished Member
can you turn one sim off? for example you have a work number and you don't want to be contacted on it when not in work can you select to stop receiving calls on one of the sims when/if you choose?
Yep. Simply enable or disable either SIM in the Dual SIM menu at any time.

How are the front facing speakers? I heard the water proofing might dampen the sound?
Not especially loud or rich in low frequencies, but still loud enough and pleasantly 'twinkly' if that makes sense. It isn't quite as loud as my iPhone 6 plus, but I do prefer the front facing stereo pair.
I also like Sony's own notification sounds... they sound much more hi-tech than anything else I've tried.

and how's the battery life so far?
Excellent so far. Way better than an iPhone 6 but perhaps no quite as good as an iPhone 6 plus.
2 days is quite doable.

nate247

I too am in exactly the same boat with starting a business and carrying a couple of phones around. Sounds like such a trivial problem but I have been researching Dual Sim phones for some time and noticed the Z5 dual sim does support (I think) the 800mhz band which o2 and Vodafone use.

Do you mind me asking which exact model number it was that you did import (as there are a couple of variants) and if you could possibly let me know (via PM) who you used to import it as I am very interested in following suit and going for one of these I think. The Z5 Premium Dual just looks to big and heavy to be an every day driver I think so the normal Z5 could be just the ticket. Glad to hear your enjoying it ;)

Jules

Distinguished Member
I too am in exactly the same boat with starting a business and carrying a couple of phones around. Sounds like such a trivial problem but I have been researching Dual Sim phones for some time and noticed the Z5 dual sim does support (I think) the 800mhz band which o2 and Vodafone use.

Do you mind me asking which exact model number it was that you did import (as there are a couple of variants) and if you could possibly let me know (via PM) who you used to import it as I am very interested in following suit and going for one of these I think. The Z5 Premium Dual just looks to big and heavy to be an every day driver I think so the normal Z5 could be just the ticket. Glad to hear your enjoying it ;)
I'm on o2, and I get 4G LTE with this device. Its exactly the reason I went for it.
From my limited research I figured the Samsung Galaxy S6 dual doesn't support the 800mhz band....or at least there are a few different models which make the choice more risky.

There are basically 2 models of the Xperia Z5 from what I've worked out, and both support what you'll need in the UK.

I'll send you a link to the product listing I purchased via pm. However, I take no responsibility if it goes sour or the model turns out not to work for you.

Smithy53

Standard Member
Could you also please send me a link for this phone aswell.

Can you have it so that it can play a certain ringtone for one number and a different ringtone for the other?

No need to post about responsibility etc

Thanks.

Jules

Distinguished Member
Could you also please send me a link for this phone aswell.

Can you have it so that it can play a certain ringtone for one number and a different ringtone for the other?

No need to post about responsibility etc

Thanks.
Sure. A few people have asked directly via pm too. Just wondering if I should post the link here.

In answer to your other question... Yes. I have a different ring tone for my personal and work numbers. It also displays the SIM number (1 or 2) that is receiving the call.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom