Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

A quick question regarding DV89 speaker distance settings.

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by hi_robb, Jun 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. hi_robb

hi_robb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chaps n chapesses.

Just a quick question regarding the speaker distance settings on the DV89 and multi channel audio (dvd-a).

Do i need to touch these settings? The reason I ask is I noticed that on my Pioneer AX3, the speaker distances that the AMP detects also apply to the multi channel inputs on the amp.

If I'm understanding things correctly, then the amp is already setting speaker distances etc when listening to dvd-a therefor, I should leave the settings in the DV89 set to 0

Is this correct?

Also, if my Amp also is set for certain speaker levels for multi channel out eg left front + 1 etc, do I leave the Arcams trims settings alone. Only reason I ask is I listened to REM's dvd-a last night and there seemed to be a lot of sound coming through the rears even though the amp was set at -7 and -6 for the surround speakers.

Does dvd-a have loads of sound through the rears or should it be subtle?

Many thanks.

Dave

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I have just checked the manual for the AX3 and as I suspected there is no signal processing applied when using the multi channel inputs. Therefore you need to set the speaker distances and trim levels on the player for DVD-A playback. An easy way to do this is to go into the on screen menu for the receiver and take a note of the speaker distance and level settings that have been set by the MCACC auto setup feature, you can then enter the same settings, or as close to as posssible, into the DVD players settings.

As for how much sound you should get through the rears, it varies from disc to disc. I have come across some discs, particularly Neil Young: Harvest, that use the rear channals heavily which makes the whole mix sound strange and unnatural. Discs I would use for reference are listed below.

Donald Fagen: The Nightfly
    Steely Dan: Everything Must Go
    Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
    Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells