A quick question about CCD's

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by rossco Gordon, Sep 12, 2007.

1. rossco Gordon

rossco Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I relatively new to home videoing and want to pick up a new camcorder ...

I have been searching the net trying to learn all I can so i can make an informed decision but I've come unstuck on one question.

Doe's a 1 MP CCD offer better Video Quality than a 800K CCD or does it only effect still photo's.

I have been looking at the Canon MD160 for some time as I've always been under the impression that as a 1MP CCD it has higher effective pixels than the cheaper 800K CCD models. Therefore with Image stabilisation on in 16:9 mode I will get better video quality than a 800K with I.S in 16:9 mode.

I'm really looking for the best quality video on DV format ( I don't care about still photo performance ) for about £200 ish mark

Hope someone can clear this up for me

Thanks

Ross

2. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    I can't speak for the Canon you mention but just for a minute reflect that PAL @ 720 x 576 is just 414720 pixels.

Number of pixels on the CCd is less important than the actual size of the sensor, and a sheer physical count of pixels is really only important for stills, and even then it's up for debate whether fewer, larger pixels are better than a lot of very small ones.

In all of this you are up against the marketing men who will try to sell you numbers. I really don't think raw pixel count on an imager should be that far up your list of priorities when making a decision.

Next you'll be believing that 34x optical zoom is better than a 10x zoom!

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Canon MD160 is a good value model (only issue is some reports of motor noise), but rhubarbe is right that the extra MP only helps with the stills. In terms of video performance there is not much difference between the MD160 and the MD101... and the MD101 has external mic input (and is cheaper).

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Assuming the sensors are similar, Better video quality on DV will then depend on the lens, the camcorders electronics re: low light performance, colour accuracy and audio
    If you can up your budget a bit towards the better Sony or Panasonic models, you will find the "pain " of parting with extra will soon dissappear with more impressive good to excellent footage in ideal and not so ideal shooting situations

5. rossco Gordon

rossco Gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help guys,

so In short paying more for a 1MP camcorder when I am only interested in Video quality and not stills is not a good idea unless the camcorder also offers additional features etc that improve the video quality.

Bearing this in mind I am looking for the best video quality I can get sub £200ish.

I was looking at the Sony 47E ( something like that ) and the canon MD160 but If anybody can suggest a camcorder around this amount that will have quality then I'll be keen to hear.

how do the SD card based Sanyo's and others compare in quality. Something tells me they fall short of a good DV camcorder of the same price ?

I am almost tempted to spend a little extra and go for the panasonic 3CCD but It may well be out of my price range.

Any suggestions are very welcome .... Thanks all

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    JVC GRD760/770 have got good reports on here.

I think you get better quality for the money with a DV model than the SD Sanyo.

7. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Definitely so
    If you can stretch to the Panasonics ..even better

8. rhubarbe

rhubarbe
    Banned