A quick q on backwards compat and component.

DragonOfSilver

If playing a 50hz game, eg halo 1 pal, on 360 on component, what does the display say is being output? 50hz 720p or 60hz 720? I'm assuming its the former, due to such games not running on vga, but I've not been able to find actual confirmation anywhere.

Indiana Jones

Will give it ago tomorrow morning and post back with results.

DragonOfSilver

Thanks, much appreciated, I'm just curious to the result and it shouldn't take long at all. I'd assume it does, seeing as the dvd playback switches to 50hz, but I'd like confirmation. whilst I also try and find out whether the monitor I'm considering handles 50hz or not.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I tried my Halo 1 over component today! Been looking forward to it in Hi-Def as its so much better than no 2.

I was disapointed though asthe game had big black borers at the sides.

..... lol - just remembered something as i was typing -- I'v moved everything downstairs as I'm setting a dedicated room up for the 360, and when I tested it I didn't have my net cable plugged in at the time. So I'm assuming it gets an auto update.

Anyway I'll be trying it shortly and will get back to you with the 50/60hz thing. Though my guess is 50hz as it doesn't work over VGA for me which is what I'v been using for the past 5 mths.

supermackem

Halo 1 was 4.3 i think mate, which mean while playing in hd you will have these borders.

Indiana Jones

Yep Halo was 4:3 so will have to be played with black bars at the side like any 4:3 material on a widescreen set.

Waynej

Distinguished Member
Indiana Jones said:
Yep Halo was 4:3 so will have to be played with black bars at the side like any 4:3 material on a widescreen set.
Meh, thats a bit gay. I'm certain the game plays in WIDESCREEN on standard-def. And I remember Bungie posting about Halo and Halo 2 being updated to 720p WIDESCREEN prior to the 360 launch. It must just be the american 60hz version of the game then.

I need to import a component cable for my XBOX1 so will try and find a site that has Halo CE US version.

Indiana Jones

Tried this on Saturday for you and can confirm it plays Halo back at 50hz and Halo 2 at 60hz.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom