A quick PSU question.

metalicsnowman

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am upgrading and am not sure whether I need a new PSU. My current PSU is the stock one that comes in an Antec Sonata III case - 500W max. I am planning:
ASUS P5QL
Q6700
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz
HD 4770 512MB

It will also be powering a case fan and two SATA hard drives and a dvd rewriter.

While i'm here, can anyone comment on the perfoemance of the HD 4770, and if its worth the extra money going to a 4850 or a 4870? Bearing in mind im not a huge gamer, just want something that will last a decent amount of time.

Cheers

If it has the 500W EarthWatts PSU, then I'd say not a problem at all :smashin:

I think there's very little between the 4770 & 4850. The latter is about the same price too at ~£80, but the former uses slightly less power & runs cooler (use the free del option for these prices @ Novatech, plus Quidco gets you 3% cashback if you're registered with them):

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 Vapour-X 512MB GDDR3 = £80.49

XFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 = £82.79

Arguably the cheapest Q6700 is on Scan/Todayonly @ £132, with a few P5QL boards lower down the page that may also be the cheapest (free delivery courtesy of AVF-Scan).

You will be perfectly fine with this PSU, Antec are superb PSU makers.

Regarding the GPU, I would say the jump to 40nm is worth the slight drop in performance.

As the 4850 is slightly faster so its really up to you which is more important.

If you were looking for a nice jump in performance from the ATI 4770 I would get the 4870.

But if you are not playing graphically intensive games, such as Crysis, I think you will be more than pleased with the performance you get from the 4770.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom