1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question to PT-AE100 owners:

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jones_Rush, Feb 9, 2002.

1. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At which distance from the screen you can no longer see the chicken wire effect at all ? (don't forget to mention your screen size).
    Thanks.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Well I was stood about 3-7 feet from the screen on demo today and I didn't see any.
    Nor the missus.
    It was projected onto a 4:3 screen of about 4' x 3' I guess.
    Then again, I didn't see it on the Sony VPL either.

3. Jones_Rush

Jones_Rush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Skanky, thanks for the reply, but I am looking for a bit more precise answer. Given what you said, both the Sony VPL and AE100 gave no screen door effect at a distance of less than 2x the screen width. Given the AE100 and VPL are a 800x600 LCD pj's, this is impossible. Either you and your wife have very weak eyes and don't use eyeglasses (which I hardly believe), or maybe the measures you gave are just way off, or maybe you just didn't understand my question, I asked for a distance from the screen where there is NO chicken wire at all, even if you're straining to look for it at the brightest white scenes . Either way, thank you for taking the time to reply.

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I can say quite happily that we saw none at all at that distance.
    I can only think that maybe you have higher expectations than me. When I walked up to the screen I could see it obviously very clearly. As soon as I stepped back it disappeared. It was a surprise to me. I saw the Sanyo PLV30 with screen door from about 8 feet before, but not today on the Sony or Panasonic.

Maybe if the image had been projected onto a bigger screen it may have been more evident.

Ask Retronana for his opinion, he was stood next to me at the time and maybe he can counter me.

There was ambient light in the test conditions. White screen. Distances and size of screen as stated.

One reason I am buying the Panasonic, is because screen door was not obvious.

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    A slight amendment.......:blush:

She said she saw it at the demo.
    However, it disappeared as soon as she just watched the picture rather than the flaws.

As for me, I didn't see it.

6. Retronana

Retronana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194

The closest we were to the screen was about 3-4 and from this distance all I could see was the texture of the screen.

I have a fiend who has 2 PJ's, an old sharp 1st gen LCD(Major Chicken wire:( ) and a new DLP....the Panasonic did not have blacks as good as the DLP(but the panny was in the "low" bulb setting) but it seemed to hold its own very nicely on resolution, colour balance etc.etc

I think General Skanky is no "rose tinted projector Virgin" and whilst we were in this demo on the PT-AE100 he asked all the right questions.......discount for referals....:D