1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question to LCD owners

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by scrapbook, Nov 10, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Still looking to get rid of my old CRT, want to go down the LCD route now.

I need reassuring though. Everytime I see an LCD in JOhn Lewis or any other shop the picture quality is terrible.

Is this only because of the bad feeds etc?

To be fair I have seen a good picture of an LCD TV in the panasonic shop of their 32 inch lcd tv. I guess this was the exception to the rule in that it was set up properly.

I am sitting 8ft away from the TV screen, but to me i would hate to think that to see a good picture u have to be sitting so far away just not to notice the picture imperfections.

Can you reassure me that given a good signal that I am going to get a good picture from a good LCD tv. i.e. no jaggy pictures, smears etc.

2. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go into JL & get them to set one up with the connection you would have at home, & then stand 8ft away & have a look.

I got them to do that, and they are more than happy to. I thought exactly the same as you - the picture quality is ****e. They do pump the same signal round about 500 TVs, so no wonder it gets a bit dodgy.

Make them work for their money - it's the only way of making yourself sure about the purchase.

3. Orzek

Orzek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is the same reason that is stopping me from buying an LCD TV. Everywhere I go I see rubbish pictures on the LCD TV's that are displayed. I also don't buy the bad connection feed excuse since CRT's show a much better picture than LCD's and they get the same feed!! Whether it is the analogue channels or freeview channels being shown, LCD's always fare badly to CRT's and plasma. Especially if there is text you can clearly see pixellation and even DVD feeds don't seem to help. Everytime I see someone on this forum write about how great the picture is on their LCD the cynical part of me just doesn't believe them!! Afterall it doesn't seem to correspond to what I see in the stores. The only LCD's I have seen with the best pictures out of LCD TV's are either panasonic viera's or oddly thomson scenium lcd's.

I know everyone has different perspectives in relation to picture quality, (my mum seems quite happy with the picture quality on most LCD's) but for me LCD's have still some way to go especially for the price they charge! On another note the best picture I have ever seen was on a samsung 213 21inch computer monitor which gives me the view that LCD TV's need to have greater resolution than 1280x768 to give superior pictures to a CRT TV. :(

4. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you saw an LCD TV with a good quality video source, you'd change your mind. For most things on TV (at the moment), I guess a normal CRT will always seem better, because the video itself is a much lower resolution than the LCD display. To see what LCDs are really capable of, you would need to have the video running at a much higher resolution, such as HDTV.

Try watching a high definition movie over a DVI/HDMI connection, and you’ll see the difference. I have the Samsung 213T you were talking about, and watching a high definition video on that, is just amazing.

I doubt LCDs will really be popular over here until the video quality starts to improve. At the moment, they’re more suited to HDTV and for use with HTPCs.

5. alfie786

alfie786
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Skiny is def right, amazing picture from Excellent sources but from low crap tv signals not worth it, stick to crt. Once the digital signals start to appear in 2006 you would appreciate the lcd's then. So for movie people who watch lots of dvd's with a good source ie hdtv dvd pllayers u will see brilliant pictures, amazing PQ and sharpness. Brings the picture out that your eye balls start to think what the fudge is that for real!! wow.

What i will say is that pcture is clearer on the lcd and takes time again for eyes to adjust to the set. I did not like it at the start then u appreciate it later.

the tosh 100hz 32" crt are now at brill prices if u have the space for any crt's big ass. Mind my language but they are huge once u start having lcd's around, thats what u start thinking. I can pick up my lcd move it around by myself instead of 2-3 people moving it. 23kg on my tosh compared to 88 from my sony 32".

6. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    So far the best way to see the quality of any hi deff TV is with a digital tuner, an XBox + Soul calibur set to 720p and a new HDMI/DVi or component DVD player.

Ive got and tried all 3 and i would never go back to a CRT TV!

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,981
    For most purposes, I drive my 22 inch LCD from a Freeview box connected via RGB. Picture quality surpasses any CRT I've ever seen. In my opinion.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The latest crop of LCD's that I have seen are capable of very good results indeed, even with poor quality sources, although this is dependant on the model rather than LCD technology in general.

Having said that, when I first got my 32" LCD, I though 'oh my god', what have I done. However when I had tweaked even the most basic of settings, brightness, contrast and sharpness, everything was transformed. It is well known that standard settings are overbright to make sets stand out from the crowd. You cannot determine the quality of a picture without doing even basic calibration ajdustments.

The only trait of LCD that is dramatically worse than my old 21" CRT is very fast scrolling titles at the end of programs can looked blurred. But if I was interested in a particular one, I would just hit the picture freeze button. Watching sport and playing my PS2, everything is just fine.

-Ian

9. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    The problem with LCDs is that they are very good at showing up a poor signal, and a lot of them look terrible for that reason. I don't think it's an accident that in a lot of stores the high end thin screen sets have their own DVD playing rather than getting Richard and Judy received through an arial made of wet string.

I've got an LCD and the picture quality is excellent from good quality sources like a DVD. However, it is merciless on indifferent signals (e.g. one of the minority interest channels on Sky).

I'd say go for an LCD as an interim measure and then go for a plasma once the prices come down from silly to affordable. I certainly wouldn't go for another CRT - apart from anything else, we've suddenly got half the room back.

10. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been generally very pleased with the move from 28" 100Hz Sony CRT to 37" Philips 9986 LCD. Scrolling text is fuzzy on both (but this is a very minor concern). When set up correctly and fed with a good signal, it it amazing how good LCD can be. (Don't judge by poor composite feeds in shops - if poss ask for a demo with DVD). Perfect geometry and convergence is a delight. The only obvious downside is black-level. This is never going to match CRTs with current technology, and LCDs seem happiest with ambient lighting in the room, which helps disguise the issue. The Philips response time is quick enough to cope with almost anything you throw at it (I am even getting good pictures from analogue TV). The other thing, and this surprised me, was how quickly I have got used to the bigger picture. I am SO glad I didn't get the 32", as the 37" no longer looks huge (and I've had it for less than two weeks). Of course the 37" made a much bigger hole in my pocket....

11. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    WOW that's some statment! From other posts I have seen of yours I have always had the the impression that you have been around a bit and know your stuff!!

So to Nigel and anyone else that cares to comment, do you reckon I'll get an excellent picture via NTL cable most of the time with the exception of the god channels etc etc??

12. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know what you mean most LCD (and plasma) TV's look cr*p in the shops. This is mainly because they are not set up properly and as people have said they do show up analogue signals more than CRT sets. I've got a Toshiba 26WL46 and I'm very happy with it. The analogue signal is not great but then I live in a dodgy area. DVD playback (via RGB SCART) from my Denon 2800MKII is superb and I'd say it's a s good as most CRTs (probably not as good as the Panny PD30 or Tosh Picture Frame sets though but not too far off). It did take quite a bit of tweaking as the default settings are just ridiculous (Contrast 100!!).

13. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I can offer some reassurance here (and get my first post in too!). I had exactly the same issue as you guys - loved the idea of an LCD but all the ones on display looked cr*p! I finally bit the bullett and took delivery of a Sharp LC-32GA4E yesterday. All I can say is WOW! With a component feed from my Sony GX7 the picture is simply stunning and the GX7 doesn't support progressive, so I can't wait to try it with a progressive source.

BTW, my previous TV was a Philips 32PW9616 CRT. Everyone used to comment on the PQ of the Philips, but my new LCD blows it away.

The only 'downside' is as Andrew M mentioned, show it a ropey Sky channel and it really lets you know just how cr*ppy the source is. But personally, I can live with that as Sky movies and most of the main channels are acceptable(roll on 2006 & HDTV Sky).

14. AlShack

AlShack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I, too, am about to take the plunge with a Sharp LC-26GA4E (getting it on Saturday :thumbsup: ).

Sorry for the slight hijack, but what's the best way to connect this to my Sony DAVS-550? I believe I only have a choice of SCART or Component Video.

What's best :confused: ? Are these my options? What is RGB Scart? I presume buying good quality cables will make a difference?

Cheers
    Alan

15. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm... I know this is the LCD forum, but I was in JL today and the plasmas all blew the LCDs away using a SKY source. I can't believe they just set up the plasmas properly...

If you'll only every use DVD, then they're great - watching the news (BBC or SKY) is not much fun: people just don't look real. IMHO.

16. andrew markwort

andrew markwort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Well I don't know the store you're referring to, but amongst the dodges employed by stores:

(1) setting the brightness higher
    (2) tweaking the colour controls
    (2) putting a booster on the incoming signal to the sets they want to shift.

Even quite small shifts can make something appear better, and ask yourself this - what brings in greater commission/chance of retaining your job: selling an LCD at 1.5k or a plasma at 4k? Also bear in mind that plasmas tend to be bigger, so of course they're going to appear better because they're larger. That doesn't mean that picture quality per unit area is necessarily better.

I've seen plasmas set up properly next to LCDs, and I will admit they're better - but it's by a narrow margin and I personally don't think the difference in quality is worth the extra price tag.

And away from direct comparisons, you ain't going to be aware of the difference. And let's face facts - if you can't forget about picture quality when you're watching something then either you're watching c*** programmes and you should change your viewing habits, or otherwise you're an incurable anorak and are never going to be satisfied.

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,981
    There's another factor that distinguishes Plasma and LCD.

Typically, Plasma screens have quite a low resolution (some are even lower than PAL TV). To get an image on the screen, the display has to scale (re-map) the incoming signal to fit the array of pixels.

Higher resolution devices have to do more of this. They do it by estimating what colour the "missing" pixels should be.

Watched from too close, this looks like blurring. Whereas the coarser structure of most Plasmas gives a false impression of sharpness because you can actually see the pixel grid.

However, watched from a realistic distance, the higher resolution typical of LCDs is interpret by the brain as actually more detailed.

18. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Well popped into my local HI SPek today.

Not sure I would ever buy a tv from them, but to give them credit their staff are knowledgable and they make a good effort of trying to set up their TV's.

Most of thier LCD's are much better then I have seen elsewhere even though they are on an analogue signal. No signs of the horrible smearing, jaggies etc, just looks like a typical average analogue reception (as expected as probably split numerous ways!)

The Tosh 32WL46 looked particulary good.

All in all I feel more confident that these panels will show a good signal with a good digital input.

19. forrestgump

forrestgump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    alshack, i posted a thread about the sharp lc-26ga4e as it is on robertwhyte's site for £1046.00 with 5 years warranty and 18 months 0% finance, what made you decide on this model, sorry to change the subject slightly