1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question to LCD owners (regarding image problems)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by epoxy5, Jul 4, 2005.

1. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All..

I am new to this forum, but I hope I can find answers here, it looks like a nice community :)

I have recently purchased a new 32" LCD (Loewe Xelos), and I like the TV very much, but have two problems, I hope isn't normal for this model or LCD's in general.

1. When viewing bright images, I have some ugly vertical thick lines going from both top corners and down. It's not thin even lines, more looks like faint uneven strokes from a cloth. When the TV is shut off, there isn't anything visible, and the TV haven't been wiped at all. It's not THAT visible but irritates my eye quite a bit. It happens with all signals, analog, dvi, scart, harddisk recorder, memory cards etc.

2. I know LCD panels got a problem with black, and this is clearly visible watching dark movies in a dark room, but shouldn't the light (allthough bright) be somewhat even all over the screen? Right now it looks like spotlights in both top corners, with a very visible amount of light compared to the rest of the screen. I know this can happen with cheap LCD monitors (leaking backlight), but shouldn't it be more even with a TV like the Loewe Xelos?

Hope someone with a LCD can share some light on my problems.

Thanks in advance.

2. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I would say you have a problem with the TV.

I have a xelos A32, no banding problems and consistent white across the whole screen.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I totally agree. I never noticed the problem with my Xelos SL until someone pointed it out. I think it is quite common, on other TV's too, especially if brightness is turned up.

If my screen was brand new and I had noticed it from the start, it would have gone back, but I don't think that I have the energy to put up a fight after so long.

One of the reasons why I bought Loewe was from my experience that I had of backup service that I had from a UK hifi manufacturer. With Linn being the UK distributer, I kind of expected the same backup service but it never materialised. Being asked to fork out for a software upgrade to fix a bug preventing me from receiving ABC1 is not my idea of customer service - their argument, ABC1 started transmitting after I purchased the set (but were transmitting the trailer) so they cannot be responsible if it is transmitted in a non standard way. My argument, I spent top dollar on display and on the D-TV upgrade and it is a pile of poo - but a quality pile of poo when it does work.

Good luck.

-Ian

4. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never really gotten the Loewe hype in the first place, i think their service and televisions have a lot to desire for. My parents bought a loewe tv, broke down after two years, they had to get a new glass which cost them nearly half the tv, half a year later they had the same problem...and had to pay again!! Besides that their image quality is better than most other tv's, but not worth the price difference, yeah their looks are great, but so are the sharps...

The bleeding happens on all lcd's, try turning down your backlight a bit in the dark, might help!

The banding, if it happens on all sources isn't good, return it!

6. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I will be sitting down tonight - stuff whats on the tv, looking for lines and spotlights etc.....

I already know my Amstrad sky+ box has vertical banding - but that's another story (common complaint, need to ring sky and demand a pace!)

On the serious side, LCD tvs seems to change in the first 100 hrs of life. When the installation guys had set my tv up, it was really bright and saturated - they seem to think it was the perfect picture (presumably). I found the setting that suited me, far more tame. Yesterday , I cranked up the colour and brightness and it seems better, less blown. seems that the TVs do indeed 'burn in' and change over time.

Different times of day and external light sources really seem to change the way the picture is displayed - I dont know if the Xelos compensates for the level of external light.

but I definitely think that if you can notice lines and see distinct bright parts of the screen , then you have cause for a new set or your money back.

Marc

7. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies..

Just took a walk in the city to compare all the LCD's with mine, and on bright images not 1 LCD monitor showed the same problem. Even cheap no name brands was able to show a more even color all over.

I tried unpluggin cables to see if there were any interference, I have turned down brightness, contrast to a boring level way below factory defaults, and it's still there.

It also looks like I got some plamages of bright grey on the white image.

Oh well a man from the shop will have a look during this week, just to see what's wrong - I def. don't think it's acceptable, especially considering it's high price.

I just looked at the "no signal" blue color, and that isn't even either, seems to vary in the blue color as well. Stripes in both sides and odd pools of slightly darker blue in the bottom of the image.

I'll let you know what he thinks about it.

8. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't think you could call my problem vertical banding as it isn't a "nice" even pattern I am seeing.

So in order to explain my problem further I took some images with my digital camera. This is of course a problem as you will see the tiny patterns from the panel (those who are normal patterns), but I have overdone one the last image, so you can really see the pattern. First image is just a white image file I feeded the card reader with, just to see what a pure white looks like. Again it isn't THAT visible, but I can clearly see round patterns, pools of a darker white, a blop in the middle of the bootom, and some lines in the sides. The blue image illustrates the "no signal" blue screen I see. Again not an even nice blue, but with the pattern making it all darker.

It looks like a 100$ LCD monitor imo.

Clearly it isn't a big problem with dark images and movies, but when things get bright (like in the opening scene of Ice Age), it looks ugly, even with a high res DVI signal.

White Image

Blue image

High contrast pattern

9. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    let us know the outcome when the shop comes to sort it out.

all 3 images seem to show the same sort of pattern - definitely shafted if you ask me.

10. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.
    If you asked, hazarding a guess, I'd say it looks like a backlight problem. :confused:

Let us know the outcome epoxy5.

11. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks both :)

I have now asked all the places I can, and shown the images to many, and not one have said it looks normal.

So I feel sure I have a point with this Loewe, and something that needs to be adressed.

If I had purchased a no name LCD I think I would blame myself, but going for one of the better 32 inchers, I demand a better image.

But I will def. return and tell you the outcome.

12. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went for a no namer LCD after doing a bit of research on the spec and have a brilliant picture for, at the time, much less expense so I would not be happy with your picture compared to the outlay !!!

13. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That last jpeg is painful, ugh!

14. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe indeed it is..
    But I tweaked the level quite a bit, just so the pattern was more visible, and people perhaps could see what was doing it.

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Oh...my.....gawd!

Accept no bull from anybody, this one is for the skip. Backlight bleed, de-interlacer (or similar) up the creek.....goodness.

Get it exchanged, not repaired!

Jimmy

16. epoxy5

epoxy5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Jim for making me even more secure.
    Nice forum!
    :)