1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a question to any 6.1 system owners

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Grimley, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To all you 6.1 system owners out there,

Do you watch a DVD with a 5.1 soundtrack twice on your system's 6.1 setting, then again on your systems 5.1 setting & make comparisons? Does that extra channel make any difference at all on a DVD with a 5.1 soundtrack? I wouldn't know 'cos my system is 5.1 & I've yet to see & hear a 6.1 system. What I would also like to know, does a 5.1 system justify an upgrade to 6.1 channels when there is not really much 6.1 software out there presently (I know the choice is growing) & my next upgrade of amplifier could be from 5.1 to 6.1, depending on my judgement, price, & demo of a 6.1 system.

Thanks for your opinions,

Grimley.

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,616
    I haven't done an A/B on 5.1 material, but having upgraded to 7 speakers from 5, I can say that ovies with EX (e.g. Gladiator) sound a lot better.
    In general I find that the extra speakers help to produce a more encompassing sound field. It truly is more atmospheric.
    I do use the system so that 5.1 soundtracks are played in EX but son't have the time to do comparisons.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I´ve found that some films work well with the rear centres engaged (JP2 - The Lost World) and others dont (most notable is End of Days).

The titles that are encoded in EX/ES can also vary in how effective they sound, much like 5.1 there are good & bad mixes.

Once you´ve heard tracks like Gladiator, The Haunting, Fight Club etc in 6.1 you´ll see what the fuss is all about.:)

4. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a simple test to show how much difference it can make:

Watch TPM in 6.1 and listen out for the light sabers during the various fight sequences.

If you don't notice a huge improvement in what's going on behind you, I'd suggest 2-channel stereo is probably all you'd ever need :)

5. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Grimley - I had a 3801 for nearly a year B4 I tried the 6.1 (in my case I haven't room for 7.1) I was suprised how much difference it makes - Sure you expect Gladiator to be better but it is so much better - As has been mentioned it's not just the flashy "behind you" moments (although they're great!) Some of the best stuff is atmospheric creepy stuff like The Others (DTS R3) although not ES or EX the extra rear works really well on it IMO - I bought The Haunting and although the film still sucks like a Dyson on steroids the sound is awesome & in terms of 6.1 has to be the best ever (just IMO of course)
    Get that 6.1 amp & speakers & you'll not be disappointed - honest ... Paul :D

6. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,360
    I agree with the other posts on this.

I have got a funny shaped lounge. It is very long but not very wide so I have the setup at one end of the room. With the old 5.1 setup I had my rears on the walls just behind the seating position in the middle of the room. This wasn't brilliant as the sound would be lost a bit going up the other end of the lounge so I didn't really notice anything coming from the rears to a great extent. With the 7 speaker setup I can have the rear centre speakers in the middle of the room and it gives a great soundstage. Plus with pro-logic 2 on my Denon 3802 the programmes on the TV sound great aswell through 7 speakers

Very pleased with it.

Greg:)