1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question or two for HS10 owners.

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Bristol Pete, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Hello,

Ok, so I am interested in the HS10 due to the good feedback it has here.
    However, I fully intend to demo a unit before purchase.
    But a couple of things have come to mind that I would like to clear up as I am about to have a builder in and then a painter and decorator so that my spare bedroom can become the cinema room.

Here are the questions.

The room is about 12 and 1/2 feet long. I have drawn a five foot diaganol line on the wall that intend to place the screen on.
    Will the HS10 give me an image this 'small' in the room, as I think that anything bigger than 5 - 6 foot would be too much.

How far would the HS10 need to be to give me a five - foot image.

If I were to place the PJ on a coffee table, would I see hot air rising? I know that it sounds stupid but I dont wanna end up positioning the PJ and then dealing with the summers day hear effect in front of a potential screen. Or, can it fire images from an angle???

Is the fan noise similar to a PC tower, or is it considerably louder.

Finally, until upgrade, I would be using a Sony DVP 735D DVD deck with component out, although no prog scan.
    Would this still give me cracking region 1 and 2 PJ images until such time that I can go for a progressive enabled player. I hope it would as the detail on this machine on a poor widescreen TV is fantastic. I cant wait to see a truly cinematic image on it.

Well, thats it at present.

I realise its early days yet, but if someone could answer these points then I can consider moving the ceiling lights etc in preperation for a mount, although table top placement would be my preferred option at present.

Thanks in advance.

Captain Benefit.

2. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Captain.

1. If you were to use the entire length of the room and give the HS10 a 12.5 foot throw, then it would produce an image between 5.9 to 7.4 feet. Best to use this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection_calc.cfm to calculate screen sizes etc.

Projecting 10 feet away from the screen would give a 5 foot image with a bit to spare each way.

2. I haven't examined my projector, but I don't think that you would see heat rising, I have never seen it.

3. IMO it is not as loud as a normal PC tower when the HS10 is in Cinema mode.

4. To test my HS10, I plugged in a non-prog scan DVD player, an picture blew me away, so yes your Sony would be fine.

Hope this helps

Rob

3. TT9

TT9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1.) Covered by Pulsar well.

2.) I am using mine on a coffee table at present and unless you can see in the dark :) , but seriously its nothing like one of those electric heaters I think you imagine to be. There is no haze or anything like that, it doesn't get that hot !

3.) The HS10 has three modes of operation. The brighter, 'Dynamic Mode' I believe it is called is certainly loud and does detract from the enjoyment of a film during quiter scenes. The other two modes are much quieter and fan noise withstanding, I and I think almost all others prefer this picture to the brighter mode. Its easier on the eye and the blacks are much darker. There's no loss of detail or quality. Running on these modes I would agree with Pulsar that not quite as loud as a PC tower.

4.) I have a non progressive scan DVD player and the picture quality is awesome. For first time viewing for friends, I can't get them to keep quiet during a movie for going on about 'didn't realise it would be this good!'.
    (Mind it is a Tag DVD32R and I am lead to believe they have quite a good picture quality :) ).

I baled on a plasma to get this baby and I've not looked back.

Regards,
    Steve.