1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question on longevity of DVD media ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by midiman, Apr 30, 2005.

1. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Just looking for a quick bit of advice here.

I recently transfered the content of my 8mm Holiday films from my Sony Camcorder to my Panasonic E85 and are currently stored on te HD. I have also copyed them to cheap DVD-r discs so I can work on them on computer. So far so good. Very pleased with the quality and no porblems with the cheap media either.

Previous experince with CD media has shown me that whilst the disc records the data/audio fine at the time, several years down the line the media is unreadable on anything. The discs seem to have become corrupted in some way. It's not on all discs nor have the affected discs been damaged or treated badly in any way. This leads me to believe that some media just has a short life span. I remember reading something about that a few years ago and I appear to have fallen victim to it.

My question is this. Does anybody know if DVD media will suffer from the same problems and if so which brands are more likely to stand the test of time? I am rather keen to not loose my personal recordings as these would be irreplacable.

Many thanks

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    Without a doubt it does - do a search of the forum as this issue has been discussed loads of times. Have a look here as well.

3. maldonian

maldonian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    The "Importance of Backups" article offers good advice, but it might be unwise to rely entirely on DVDs for archiving 'priceless' home video recordings.

First and foremost always keep your orginal camcorder tapes. They are your master copies. Never wipe or re-use them. Even if the format becomes obsolete and your camera dies there will be someone who can make copies for you onto other media. In the case of analogue recordings (you say yours are 8mm), they are unique, no copies are going to be exact replicas.

Second, consider media other than DVD for backups. Tape and hard disks have been around for much longer than DVDs. Tape is widely used for backing up critical data, but reliable high capacity tape drives are expensive. If you had a digital camcorder with DV in/out you could copy to a PC then back to a second camcorder tape. Hard disks are a good alternative for home use. Buy two or (preferably) three large capacity USB or firewire external drives and use them exclusively for backups. If you must use DVD then DVD-RAM is probably best, it was designed for archiving data.

Whichever media you use, verify the copies otherwise you could be giving yourself a false sense of security. Backup software can do this routine but very tedious task for you on a PC. But you will still have to verify the first copy is ok.

Finally consider using a fire safe and/or storing backups on two completely separate sites (your home and a relative's home for example). Fire or theft could wipe out the lot if the masters and backups are all stored in your own home. It depends just how valuable the recordings are to you.

Then use whatever media you like for your working copies.

(N.B. These are just my thoughts. I am not a data backup/recovery expert.)

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    I totally agree.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    some dvd media goes bad after less than a year.
    I lost over 50 dvdr on ritek g04 media within a year, some only lasted 2 months.

6. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys :thumbsup:

Will probably go for 2 different branded DVD-r 1x DVD Ram and may even invest in a HD Exclusivley for B/U of movies. At the end of the day it dosent cost that much and will ensure I have plenty of margin for in case of a problem