1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question Of Region

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Tardis, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Hi all,

Without sounding too naive.

Buying R2 disc's from other parts of Europe or Japan over the net. Would they work just as well as if I had brought them from my local dvd shop in my (R2 only) machine.

For example, would the disc's still be in English or would I have to select English from the menu and if so, would it be dubbed in English.

Respect

Tardis

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    depends on the discss really. Discs from germany, france etc fropm major studioos will still have english menus and also english sound. there are some that only have german menus but still english sound. but there are also those with english sound but enforced subtitles (of that country).
    (it's a rights thing)

But they will certainly all play on your R2 only machine. Japan is a bit different as japan uses NTSC so your player needs to be able to show NTSC or change it into pal60 and your TV needs to eb able to display it.

are there any specific DVDs you are looking for?
    it is very hard to say which dvds from europe are the best. it all depends on the film.

the dvds in europe also all have the english extras and optional subs on them. but sometimes french dsutdiios make their own extras and hence only in french (or in english with french subs)

any more questions fele free to ask.

HTH

3. Tardis

Tardis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers Lux,

I wasn't thinking of any particular film as yet. I was just wondering for eg, when a film is released here on disc, such as S.W.A.T., could there be a different, better version elsewhere in Europe.

I didn't know if I was missing out in any way just by buying UK R2 disc's.

Tardis

4. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for SWAT no, unless the UK version is cut (which it isn't)
    Swat is by CTHV and hence all EU version will be the same.

5. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well there are examples of europe getting better versions of films than the UK. Two examples are Black Hawk Down where scandinavia and France got 3 discs rather than 2 discs, and Brotherhood of the Wolf which came on 3 discs in France.
    God knows why France got 3 discs on Black Hawk Down when they hate the Americans and we didnt when we LUV america-supposedly.

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and they got it over 6 months before the US got their 3DVDset. I bought my set in october last year.

other nice surprises from france include Dark City with a DTS tarck in english

7. dawnthief

dawnthief
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    so is there a reason why france and the rest of europe get better versions of certain films than the UK. Another one was that the scandanvaian version of x-men 1.5 got the original releases extras and the new ones. Bit sily if you ask me-makesit harder to get the best version of a film