1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for the fitness experts or gym users...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Bristol Pete, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Have been in a debate of late about training regimes. I have been training at the gym most days and I usually do forty five minutes to an hour each night after work.

My routine is generally all about the upper body, as looking to burn fat with more reps, less weight. Anyway, I have got nice routine of 4 x 25 reps on each machine with rest, though I do use some leg machines.

However, my brother who is a skilled distance runner with various races under his belt, including New York marathon suggests that 8 is the magic figure for reps and anything more than this negates the effect of the first 8 reps but I figure 25 light lifts has to be better than just 8?

I know that there are a few fitness experts on the forums - so any advice?

Thanks.

Pete.

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I think low reps are usually used to build muscle volume, not muscle strength.
    High reps with low weight builds aerobic ability.

I'm a runner and do low reps on my upper body 'cos I'm skinny.
    But I've always been able to run quickly for ages and have a naturally high aerobic ability.
    So I usually run for 30 minutes aswell just to keep up my fitness. I'm 33.

However, gym work everyday is counter productive and can be bad for you.
    2-3 times a week is plenty..... and watch your diet.
    Aerobic excercise can cause constipation (I ended up in hospital with it) so take plenty of fluids and eat lots of fruit, veg and fibre.

3. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Try cutting down the reps to about 12-15 ,cut your rest time to about 30 seconds in between each set ,dont train weights for more than 30 mins max and increase the weight , do some cardio.

Mix your routines up its amazing how quickly the body gets used to your training regime ,do some strength work 3-5 reps heavy weights especially on your legs eg squats,hack squats ,leg presses etc .strong legs means a strong lower back giving you a good base .

Try to use free weights as much as poss ,imho machines are a pants.

There,s other stuff like supersets ,partial reps and stuff ,most of all enjoy it . :)

4. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    For the arms, I do 50-100 reps of low weight to gain strength without the bulk, and for the legs, it depends on what other training i'm doing during the week.

It all depends on what your goals are. If it's weight loss, then plenty of CV to burn the calories (fat) and light weights to tone the muscle.

Don't forget that during the first 20 mins of excercise, your body only burns instant energy, such as sugars.

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,471
    When I use to go weight training I use to do 3 sets of 8 for each body part (this does not mean you cannot say do bench press then inclined bench press), this was for bodybuilding rather than weight loss.
    As pointed out do not train every day, you must give your body time to recover from the exercise. After all when you train you are breaking muscle tissue and when it repairs it increases its mass, that’s why exercising makes you stronger.
    Do not train the same body pats 2 sessions together.

Re reading your fist post for body weight loss higher rep I would say are better as there is 2 sorts of muscle tissue the higher reps improves the other sort.

6. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I follow the 'body for life' program with good results i.e. 12,10,8,6 reps with extra weight each set then back to a set of 12 then 10 - play around with the weights until you get it that your last set of 10 puts you way through your comfort zone :D

If I can give you any tips it would be

1. Take a notebook to monitor your sets / weights and try and increase your weights gradually

2. Count backwards !

I do 5 weight sessions a week and 1 x 8 mile run a week coupled with a low fat diet with the emphasis on protein - I've achieved my goal of having a body that I am proud of and women find attractive ! (at least i'm being honest :D ) i've lost 3 stone of fat and 7 inches around my waist

Good luck

http://www.bodyforlife.com/exercise/weighttraining.asp

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +474
    well done mate, that's some going!! I'm off to check out the body for life!

8. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As above really, I don't know a huge amount about working out other than I seem to have to keep doing it. :suicide:

Fewer reps of heavier weights for muscle building. More reps of lighter weights for muscle toning.
    I usually do 13 then 12 because it comes to a nice round 25 (I like maths :D ).

The best advice I've ever receieved was to concentrate on technique - doing half the number of exercises properly is far harder but far more effective than doing more badly.

Where's MikeQ when you need him? :)

9. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    This sounds really good. I've been following something similar... but for the weights I've been using one of these:
    http://www.cleanideas.net/spr3/XLI_gym.htm

From what I can ascertain on the body for life site you are supposed to do 2 different exercises per session. And alternate upper body and lower body every other day, with aerobic exercise in between so a routine something like

Mon: Upper body (x 2 exercises)
    Tue: aerobic
    Wed: Lower body (x 2)
    Thu: aerobic
    Fri: Upper body (x 2 exercises)
    Sat: aerobic
    Sun: rest

The next week would be the same but with 2 days lower body and one day upper body. BTW My aerobic routine is a 5 mile bike ride that takes me around 25 minutes at the moment.

Is my thinking right on this?

Chris

10. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
  11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    The kit or my daily routine?

So with the supersets you basically knacker yourself out and then do one more set of reps, (on possibly a lower setting).

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    A quick question related to this, can anyone recommend a cheap, good set of dumbbells to use at home? Is cast iron worth the money over vinyl?

13. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The cast iron ones are definatley the ones to go for.

The vinyl ones are badly weighted- i.e. all the cement/weight ends up at one end of each of the weights. Eventually the vinyl splits as well.

14. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Like many folk have said already- the more reps the more muscle. So I would suggest that you increase your sets and decline your reps. Therefore increasing the burn over more sets- which would result in less muscle and quicker weight loss.

15. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Supersets are when you perform two exercises in a row with virtually no rest eg bicep curl and then a dumbell french press for the tricep ,thats just an example .

16. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez...this seems to have really turned into a science!! So 22 years of PTI's shouting me up and down hills 3 times a week was the wrong way to go about it...? I'll have to have words at the next reunion...;)

Seriously though, people here seem to havved missed the main sentence in Cap's original post..."to burn fat.... To do this, you need to keep your heart rate up...it's need to be beating faster than normal. Everybody has their own tartget heart rate...you can find yours here. Get youreself a heart rate monitor, a decent set of trainers and hit the hills - best weight loss programme I've ever used.
    Once you've burnt the fat, then you can start working on the muscle building side of things. Hill running will also build stamina and strength, so when it comes to the muscle building side of things, you'll be able to go longer and heavier from the start.
    Good luck and enjoy...I'm still off "fizz" at the moment due to ankle surgery...it's amazing how much you actually miss it and how far down hill you can go in such a short space of time. I'm into my 3rd of resting now with probably another 2 to go and i've put on 6lb's in weight which is going to take an age to get off once i get going again...:(

17. Chownie

Chownie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you are after burning fat also try and build a bit of muscle. This will result in a lot more calories being burnt while at rest. Just a couple of pounds of muscle ( which won't take too long to build) will result in a massive increase in calorie burning throughout the day!
    Also stick to low glycemic carbs
    Don't make your cardio too intense as you will burn up more muscle than fat. Fast walking is perfect for fat burning.
    Try using a supplement called 'kelp' available from holland and barrat. This will help up your thyroid (don't worry it's perfectly healthy). Also use a healthy oil called Udo's Choice. Use it over your food or if you use protein drinks ( a good idea) put a couple of dessert spoons in them.
    Don't hesitate to contact me. Either pm me or contact me via my website www.naturalphysique.co.uk
    Good luck! :thumbsup: