1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for Pal Prog DVD owners....

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gavin_Hall, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    I have borrowed an HK DVD25 to check out, although very impressed with it, one thing struck me as an immediate gotcha, that made me wonder whether all other Pal Progressive players suffered from the same thing........

If you configure the player to output progresive PAL/NTSC via the component socketry, the HK DVD25 will not output any video signal via the scart or composite connection. So, in my current setup, I have my Tosh 210 connected to an Iscan Plus via the s-video *PLUS* the TV via RGB Scart. The Iscan is then connected to the Projector for those progressive moments :) When the kids want to watch a film they simply use the TV, no messing involved at all. If I were to buy an HK DVD25 they would now have to change the setup of the HK DVD25 to output interlaced instead of Progressive to allow the TV to show any films......

Am I missing something here? Sounds to me as an Iscan Pro upgrade would give me Pal Progressive, whilst retaining full flexibility. What do you all do in this scenario?

cheers

Gavin

2. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Gavin,

I have not tried the HK25, but I have tried Arcam DV88+/DV27, and I do own Philips 963sa - they both output PAL progressive and RGB / composite via scart, no problem. Philips also does S-video via S-video output at the same time (not sure about Arcam - I think DV27 does not).

May be you should call the HK customer support for clarification. Or buy Philips...

3. Big_AL007

Big_AL007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine does the same thing, which is no problem to me as I have a pal prog capable TV also.

4. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    AFAIK there are no DVD chipsets that allow progressive and interlaced video to be output simultaneously - it would require duplication of video processing and video DACs inside the chip and that costs quite a lot of money.

If you need this you can do it with an Arcam DV27, because that has a separate board to generate the progressive video from an interlaced output on the main processor board and separate output sockets for the PS component video.

All Arcam DVD players can output all three forms of interlaced video simultaneously (composite, s-video and component/RGBS). This requires up to 6 video DACs to run at the same time. I believe we are just about the only company to provide this occasionally useful benefit. If you add the Silicon Image PS board to a DV88 or DV88 Plus, then you can output progressive and interlaced video simultaneously in the same way as a DV27. This board can be retrofitted at any time.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

5. Gavin_Hall

Gavin_Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go down the Iscan Pro route, it will give me the flexibility on connectivity that I will require. Plus as a bonus I can then also pipe Sky through it :)

cheers

Gavin

6. Underscore

Underscore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to add my experiences. I have a 963SA with progressive component and S-video connected to my PJ and the RGB-SCART connected to the TV. I can quite happily switch between any of these sources without changing anything on the player, so it must be outputting them all all of the time...

_

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,013
    I second what underscore says. I have my 963sa connected via component and S-video - one to my TV and one to my projector.

At one point I had both displaying at once to check framing on the projector. So it does output interlaced via s-video and progressive via component at the same time.

8. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the Denon DVD-A1 does output progressive through its component sockets (although I'm still having problems with mine on PQ) and has a separate s-video socket that definitely works simultaneously as well as a scart that can be configured to output composite, s-video or RGB although I don't know whether that can also work simultaneously in concert with the other two!

9. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Can confirm you can get RGB SCART output and PAL-P from Component simultaneously on the 963SA.

I think its because the Progressive circuitry is seperate to the non-progressive side of things. Which is why you get mutually exclusive video settings in the menus.