A question for Multi Region HS2 owners...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DaveP, May 15, 2003.

1. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a HS2 that is multi region but when I put a R1 disk inn it tells me the TV output is not compatible. I have to go into setup and change to NTSC and then it plays fine. Does everyone else have to do this or is there a way to make it auto switch between NTSC and PAL?

Thanks

DaveP

2. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Dave,

I think I speak for a few people here that would be very interested in you giving us a view on what you think of the HS2 - obviously this will take up your time but we would be very grateful. After missing out on your E20 I'm looking at the HS2 as well as others!

Sorry I can't help with your question though.
    Thanks

Mel

3. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a multiregion DMRe50 and it will play all any disk without changing the settings including RCE. I got it from Digital Point. So iI do not know how their multi-region players are configured.

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not one for writing an in depth review but here are a few points:

Picture Quality

Playback of DVD Movies is excellent, the picture is better than the e20 and my Sony 705.

Recording Quality

I'm not sure it's as good as e20, barely any difference to be honest but I have this nagging doubt!

Editing

Cutting out the start and end overlaps and the adverts is a breeze. very quick and simple, you can frame advance or go back a frame.

PCMCIA Slot

This is what swung it for me. I already had a PCMCIA/Compact Flash converter for my laptop so I could transfer photos. Just plug this in and select slide show and away it goes, excellent. You can also transfer to DVD or Hard disk.

Ease of Use

I had an initial problem when setting it into timer mode. This doesn't switch the unit off! This confused me a bit to start but it's OK now I've got used to it. One neat trick is that you can be recording to the HDD and still play a movie. Also, if you choose to record to DVD-RAM and it runs out of space it will automatically continue recording to the HDD. I'll never use this as I always record to HDD anyway.
    The other thing that confused me was the need to switch modes. You get an HDD and a DVD button on the remote. You cannot see whats stored on the HDD unless you press the HDD first. I suppose it's a necessary evil otherwise it would be very confusing knowing what was stored where.
    One final niggle is the remote. It maybe where I've got the unit positioned but very often the remote commands don't work. I think the angle at which the beam can be received is quite narrow.

Hope this helps.

DaveP

5. sparkybun

sparkybun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Dave,

Thanks very much for taking the time for that. Food for thought!

The PC Card slot swings it for me also.

Cheers

Mel

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, can anybody answer my question?

Thanks

DaveP

7. SASMAN

SASMAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Dave
    This is what i found with my HS2.

R1 loads and plays fine.
    R2 The same as above.
    R4 The same as above.

Test DVD's
    Jerry Maguire R2
    Men In Black R1
    Commando R4

I hope this helps.

Tom
    :clap:

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    DaveP I guess you might want to contact the supplier/modder and ask them. It might be a setup thing but i am only guessing.
    Hope this helps a bit.

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions guys, I've found the answer on another forum. It's simple really! When in Timer mode you cannot play back NTSC disks! Switch off the Timer and Hey Presto! It plays either NTSC or PAL without having to change anything!

DaveP