A question for Jenz ( but welcome opinion from everyone )

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Feb 27, 2001.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Due to the fact that I have been unable to sleep I have just watched DRIVE and ENTER THE DRAGON and have been left wanting more.

You may recall however that I was left rather disapointed by ARMOUR OF GOD and with that in mind was wandering what recomendations you have. I am a big fan of HARD BOILED and the type ( I think I own all that are available on DVD ) and also of the newer movies such as REPLACEMENT KILLERS ( although I thought ROMEO MUST DIE rather poor )

As you can gather I like a good action movie and am a fan of martial arts, but also like gun play ( and for it to all be loud [​IMG] ) The only thing I can see that looks close is THE BLACK SHEEP AFFAIR, is this more like Drive than Armour ?

Any advice on a purchase would be great !

Oh and what about FIST OF FURY, just seen the advert on TV and read your review, do you think I will like it ?

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    If you like ETD then Fist of Fury should be okay.
    Everyone should get what's probably the funniest(unintentionally)/bloodiest kung fu flick ever made - The Story of Ricky O - although the Hong Kong R0 disc is a much better purchase than the US disc, they're pretty much identical except you can pick it up from http://dddhouse.com in Hong Kong for less than a tenner inc shipping. And it's even got a few extras.
    Aswell as that, there's a double feature cheap US disc of the Sonny Chiba classics Streetfighter/Return of the Streetfighter, and seperately, The Streetfighters Last Return (aka Sister of the Streetfighter), as seen briefly in True Romance, available from Amazon.com for $9.99 plus shipping, I've got them and I must say, they get spun more than any other kung fu movies I've got.

Personally I can't stand Jackie Chan as all the slapstick stuff drags the fight sequences down and it all looks really choreographed, but my brother swears by his stuff so it's all probably a matter of taste.

Hope this might help

------------------
    Someone paid me 30lbs of rice to take care of you and finish you off and put you in a pie.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    I know it will sound rather funny to some of you but im not a big fan of watching films with subtitles, although much prefered HARD BOILED and BETTER TOMORROW with them.

Im also not a fan of films which have not aged well. I guess thats why I did not like Armour of god. I prefer the film to be serious with some fun intended like Drive rather than Armour, which came across to be as a parody, kind AUSTIN POWERS but for Jung-Fu movies.

Im probably upsetting lots of people by saying that but at least im prepared to give things a go [​IMG] any more sugestions ?

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,189
    The Streetfighter films have aged just as well as Bruce Lee's films have, probably better. They're dubbed and very bloody (ripping a guys balls off with his bare hands and a throat ripping move that Swayze stole in Road House) and very serious.
    The Story of Ricky isn't a comedy but the dubbing makes it comical, as it does with most kung fu movies. It's got the original language on there aswell with subs, and it has the goriest kung fu fights I've ever seen including a guy getting punched right through his stomach and then trying to strangle the hero with his entrails, heads being punched off, loads of stuff like that all the way through.

Have you maybe thought of Crying Freeman? Mark Dacascos's live action manga movie? It's very good - gunplay and kung fu, pretty serious too.

I don't like slapstick kung fu movies at all, so take it from me, these aren't comedy films, I'm just letting you know about a few films that a lot of people don't know about.

------------------
    Someone paid me 30lbs of rice to take care of you and finish you off and put you in a pie.

5. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its gunplay in particular then BlackSheep will go down pretty well but a better bet would be John Woo's The Killer (Winstar version), A Better Tomorrow 2 (Anchor Bay version worth it for the climax alone), Big Bullet and Cheap Killers are also good but I would cautiously recommend them.

If you speak fluent Japanese then Dead Or Alive is superb also. The DVD does not have English subs or dubbing.

Fist Of Fury is a classic. The Nunchuku scenes are worth it. Try and pick it up in a 3 for 40 type deal if poss. You can resell it for £12 easily.

and how could I forget Bullet In The Head or Eastern Condors. R0 for the former and wait for the HKL disc for the latter.

Then try Jet Li Hitman (HKL version though the start is slow), Jet Li High Rick (more Nunchuku), and Tiger On Beat (dueling Chainsaws).

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs

[This message has been edited by Jenz (edited 27-02-2001).]

6. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Cheers J, I have all the JOHN WOO movies in one format or the other, but dont watch the video copies enough to warrant getting the DVD, I also have all ( I think ) sequals to A BETTER TOMMOROW, although most of them were rubbish.

I guess what I am really looking for is the equivalent of a hollywood blockbuster ( or at least mad with a good budget and script ) type film but gives the action, gun play and fighting skills offered by the HK movies.

What is the closest film ( in action terms ) to DRIVE ( any film considered, even main stream, although I guess most would say THE MATRIX [​IMG] )

Im almost sold on getting FIST OF FURY, any other reasons why I would enjoy it ? and also what about ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA, this looks similar to what I have seen of crouching tiger

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just watched cthd last night,exellent film really enjoyed it,great fight scenes,and beautiful cinematography,good story also,one thing i was not sure about was the roof top scenes it was like the matrix gone east,but i eventually got used to it.
    i bought once upon a time in china and fist of fury last week,i enjoyed both film,s very much,although i thought once upon a time in china was more a mix comedy and martial arts,its still worth a £15 buy,compared with fist of fury(jet li vs bruce lee)ther can only be one winner?.

8. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes as Mark points out Once Upon A Time In China has a slight mix of Comedy missing from the Bruce Lee films. However it is an excellent film in my opinion. It also has a high resell value so you basically only lose a nights rental if you bought it.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The Big Hit (Mark Wahlberg, Christina Applegate), The Long Kiss Goodnight (Geena Davis, Samuel L Jackson) and perhaps Desperado (Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek) could suit your taste.

10. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And whilst it wasn't for everyone I enjoyed Way Of The Gun.

11. bigalroz

bigalroz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got R2 Fist of Fury last night, superb picture and sound. Anyone else noticed a marked difference in quality between the cantonese and english sound tracks (in favor of the cantonese)? Just a thought but I would like to see the Bruce Lee films redubbed in English by decent actors. The english dub on CTHD was superb. I actually forgot I was watching a dubbed film after a while!

------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    couldn't think of anything interesting or witty that's why my signature is so sh***y