1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Question for Gary Lightfoot

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Darko, May 6, 2005.

1. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Hi

I will start by bigging you up... I drool over you cinema room on a regular basis and bore people with your pics and go on and on about what can be done in the world of home cinema....( Is your head big enough yet)......

Ok now for my question .I love your screen and I wanna make one myself so is there any chance of getting plans and materials used. I only just bought my new PJ its a benq 5120 ..not quiet in your class but still I feel it would look top projected onto a pukker screen.

Hope you dont mind having a post with your name on it .

Cheer Darko

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Hi Darko,

I was kinda shocked to see my name up there like that at first but I'm OK now. :)

My first pj was a Davis DLS8 which was a lesser pj than yours - we all have to start somewhere!

The wood I used was some 18mm x 69mm x 2.7m from B&Q. I placed two pieces on top of each other and cut them to 84" so they would both be identical in length. I did a similar thing with three other pieces to act as the sides and middle (41.82ins long I think - I was making a 16:9 screen so the height had to be 47.25inches. two 69mm bits = 5.43ins, plus the middle sections of 41.82 = 47.25). I didn't mitre the corners, just fitted the three smaller pieces inside the tow long pieces and made sure it was all square.

I used a long drill to drill through the wood and then countersunk the holes by at least an inch so that I could screw from the top down and bottom up (3" long screws). I then glued and screwed the pieces together. I hope that makes sense...

I used blackout cloth from Allders, but any good curtain shop should be able to supply you with it - there are various colours, but I went for the whitest I could find and used the cloth side after projecting onto both sides simultaneously to compare (I folded the cloth to do that).

I then stretched and stapled it to the frame. I started in the middle, doing the top and bottom and working my way out - my girlfriend helped me by keeping the tension while I stapled. There is a canvas stretching method that is good to use as it allows you to do it on your own:

http://www2.evansville.edu/studiochalkboard/p-canvas.html

There are better links for that but that was the first good one I found. :)

All in, the screen should cost around £30, but any tools will bump the cost up.

Hope that helps.

Gary.

3. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    You are the fella Gary

Well I read it and I swear I had a Homer simspon expression on my face, Luckily my buddy sitting next to me is a chippy and he understood you completely ... Go figure.

So I will buy the materials and he will knock it up ( sounds good to me)

Thanks you very much for your advise I cant wait to get started

Cheers Darko

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
    Mitering the joins is probably better, and I put a center brace in so that stretching the fabric wouldn't cause any bowing, and after 4 years, it seems to still be quite straight and square. Wood can bow and twist over time, but mine sems fine so far.

Captain Benefit is selling a Beemax screen in the clasifieds - it's a 7ft wide 1.2 gain screen (80" visible), and is going for £210 now I believe which seems like a good deal. It's collect only from Bristol though.

Gary.

5. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Cheers Gary

But I have already spent this months funds on the PJ and I also like the idea of making my own and if it turns out as good as yours then I would have saved a few hundred quid

But cheers Bud

Darko

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,671
  7. Darko

Darko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I will post some pics when we move to our new gaff and I have fully set up a desegnated cinema room ((Not a baby room as my girl wants)) but at the moe am living with inlaws while I save so it wont be very impressive, however once I have built my screen I will def send you pics of that, I cant wait to get cracking on it.

Darko