A Question For Electricians.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Garrett, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,106
    On the lighting on my fish tanks I use fluorescent tubing of different length. Each tube has a power unit and starter. These units can be bought in different watt outputs. More or less its made out that if you have a small fluorescent tube with a small watt usage, you get the respective power unit. E.g. if you have a 15 tube you get a 15-18watt power supply unit, if you have a 40 watt tube you get a 40 watt power supply unit.

In sure a mate told me that buying a unit of a higher watt unit than the lamp required eg a 40w unit supplying power to a 25w tube would not affect the tube and would be safe, as the 40 watt was the max power of the unit and the tube was the one drawing the power, whereas if I bought a unit that say supplied 25w and then used a tube 40w it would burn the unit out. Is this true?

2. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Using a higher one should work but could cause the bulb to blow in the event of an overcurrent or short-circuit as the protective device would not operate until 40W which is far too high for the bulb.

It would be like using a 30A fuse for a lighting circuit, it would work fine but the protection wouldn't in the event of a fault.

3. pyrotenax

pyrotenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    If the ballast is not rated to operate the lamp type being used, the lamp life will be shortened and the ballast life may be shortened. In a few cases, the ballast may catch fire after failing.